Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 04:54 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,808,160 times

Advertisements

Lol, no you cannot swap him. You are going to have to choose your battles though. If he is going to be the funny guy towing the line, this is going to be a regular occurence.

My younger son is the funniest person I have ever met. He has me in stitches constantly, and has since birth. This did not always go over well in school. He wasn't overly malicious but really walked a very fine line. A very fine line. Thankfully, he is also quite charming and that saved his behind a lot. That, and he had some teachers who would crack up rather than discipline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 05:04 PM

208 posts, read 271,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Welcome to the entire history of the teenage male.
This is true. And really, I can't talk. I managed to find time to do plenty of stupid things with friends. But I do think (this is how I remember it anyway) that I could tell the difference between a good idea, a bad idea, a bad idea that nobody was going to find out about, a bad idea that had some room for anonymity, and a bad idea that was just plain blatant.

(and again, I don't think the AP's phonecall would have bothered me so much if he hadn't called me last week aswell)

Old 10-29-2010, 05:16 PM

208 posts, read 271,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
You are going to have to choose your battles though.
Good advice.
And I would probably be better off approaching it after the work issues get somewhat sorted out. This was not the distraction I needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
My younger son is the funniest person I have ever met. He has me in stitches constantly, and has since birth. This did not always go over well in school. He wasn't overly malicious but really walked a very fine line. A very fine line. Thankfully, he is also quite charming and that saved his behind a lot. That, and he had some teachers who would crack up rather than discipline.
Yeah...this one's not lacking in confidence...We're seeing this fine line too. Thus far, I don't know if it's something to do with 8th grade top dogs but it's looking to be a lot more obvious this year.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:18 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,351,943 times
Well, if that were my child, they certainly would NOT be getting the mask back, they would NOT be going to any party tomorrow and I would have the cleanest house in the town by the end of the weekend . "Honey, it sounds like you have way too much time on your hands that you need to find things to do that are getting you into trouble. Here is a list (a page and a half long) of things you WILL accomplish by the end of the weekend. If they are not done by the time you go to bed Sunday, you will spend every evening after school this week finishing them to my satisfaction".

Old 10-29-2010, 07:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times
Is he the class clown or the class smart a--? From your other post I gathered it was the second. If he's a fun, funny guy who goes too far once in a while then I totally cut him a break. But if he's smarting off and doing/saying things that are TOTALLY inappropriate he is washing the roof.

The problem with the second is that he is going to grow up and smart off to the wrong person. Like a boss. Or a cop. Or, worst of all, a nun. (Are they still armed with rulers? )

Old 10-29-2010, 07:35 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,286,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb03 View Post
Yeap. Last year was the first year that the middle school and high school said no costumes. I think they decided that things were getting too risque, morbid or gruesome (maybe even sometimes all 3 at once).

And they have their issues with students and masks and identity and....schools these days...

Wow not sure where everyone lives, but where we live not only were there no costumes in middle and high school but there weren't any in elementary. The state we lived in last year didn't allow it either.

On to the issue with your son, this is twice in what 2 wks that you have gotten a call from his school about inappropriate conversations and now inappropriate behaviour, he broke the rules and now he needs to be made aware of that. If he were mine there would be no halloween party tomorrow, sorry should have used better judgment.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:52 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,270,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
No halloween costumes in school anymore?

I'd give the kid a pass on this - granted, i don't know what "conversations" you're referring to.

The texting in school thing? He was texting his parent! Take it easy .....

Running around with a mask at school? Who cares! Boys will be boys.

Jesus. I got in way more trouble when i was 13, and I turned out great.

Sounds like you're being a little nitpicky and sensitive to me.
Nope. Who the hell wears costumes in school? There's a time and place. A pre-school Halloween parade? And elementary school Halloween parade? My 11 year old is at a Halloween dance at his school this evening - wore a costume. Because it was the point of the dance. But there was NO debating or even a question of bringing any halloween-ish anything to school today.

Texting? Cell phones aren't allowed to be seen, let alone USED until the last bell rings at 3:10pm, and if a kid has one, leaves it in his/her locker and it goes off? Automatic detention. Lots of kids before the tech generation managed to use a pay phone on school premises or an office phone. What's so damn important in 2010 that wasn't so damn important in 1980?

"Boys will be boys" is only an excuse used by parents of boys to avoid parenting them.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb03 View Post
I received a call from my son's (13) school earlier today - thankfully, they weren't calling to tell me that he and his friends had been having inappropriate conversations again, like I'd been talking about here last week.

What it was about was that he and some friends had been running around with Halloween masks - despite the fact that everybody had specifically been informed that there would be no costumes/makeup/masks allowed today...

They were calling to inform me that his mask (which was purchased for a Halloween party that he still thinks he's going to tomorrow) was in the office and available to be picked up 'at my leisure' - which won't be today.

Since then I've gotten two text messages from him (the kids are allowed to have their cellphones at school for the purposes of after school communication etc, but they're not allowed to use them during the day) asking if I'm getting the mask and reminding me that he's going to need it tomorrow.

And now I'm in a bad mood (although I admit I was in a bit of a work-related mood anyway...) because this just feels like he's continually being bold and defiant at school...he is right? It seems to me (definitely with the texts aswell) that he didn't see the no-Halloween rule as a particularly serious one...(oh, or the cellphone rules...)

-If we hadn't just had the problems with the conversations I might not have ended up in such a bad mood but we've just been discussing the idea of respecting the rules/teachers at school. Obviously not seriously enough yet...

I'm sensing a bit of a wise-guy attitude coming through.
He did something outside of school rules and you need to deal with that as a parent. He thinks, for some reason, he can get away with what he did today. Why does he have no respect?

I get you had a bad day at work and you wondering if this issue was blown out of proportion by maybe how you feel you want to discipline him right now. But I had a great day and if my kid thought he could sneak a mask to school and run around with it and defy school rules? I'd still have had a great day, HE, however, would be having a horrible weekend.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:04 PM

707 posts, read 1,467,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Nope. Who the hell wears costumes in school? There's a time and place. A pre-school Halloween parade? And elementary school Halloween parade? My 11 year old is at a Halloween dance at his school this evening - wore a costume. Because it was the point of the dance. But there was NO debating or even a question of bringing any halloween-ish anything to school today.

Texting? Cell phones aren't allowed to be seen, let alone USED until the last bell rings at 3:10pm, and if a kid has one, leaves it in his/her locker and it goes off? Automatic detention. Lots of kids before the tech generation managed to use a pay phone on school premises or an office phone. What's so damn important in 2010 that wasn't so damn important in 1980?

"Boys will be boys" is only an excuse used by parents of boys to avoid parenting them.

I don't know where you live but everywhere I have lived has allowed students to wear costumes the day of halloween, if halloween falls on a weekend they allow costumes that Friday. Also if someone gave my child for detention for texting me during school or even having it in a locker, I would be pissed. None of the schools I have looked at for my daughter have pay phones and the school phones are only to be used if its an emergency or your calling to say your sick. Hell even my sisters school does not have pay phones or phones available for students to use. If my sister didn't have her cell phone on her one day we wouldnt have known that she missed her bus and was walking home. The school was locked she couldnt get in. So yes this day in age where everything is dangerous a selfphone is necessary.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Is he the class clown or the class smart a--? From your other post I gathered it was the second. If he's a fun, funny guy who goes too far once in a while then I totally cut him a break. But if he's smarting off and doing/saying things that are TOTALLY inappropriate he is washing the roof.

The problem with the second is that he is going to grow up and smart off to the wrong person. Like a boss. Or a cop. Or, worst of all, a nun. (Are they still armed with rulers? )
I do agree with you.

And there's a fine line between "class clown" and "class asshat" (and I am NOT saying the OP's son is either, just going on my own experience as an ex-teacher).

Class clowns tend to be non-disruptive (to class time, their peers and the admin and the rules). Class asshats tend to find themselves left alone in their "funniness" after they've gotten too many of their followers (and themselves) in trouble one too many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting