Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:26 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,270,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I don't know where you live but everywhere I have lived has allowed students to wear costumes the day of halloween, if halloween falls on a weekend they allow costumes that Friday. Also if someone gave my child for detention for texting me during school or even having it in a locker, I would be pissed. None of the schools I have looked at for my daughter have pay phones and the school phones are only to be used if its an emergency or your calling to say your sick. Hell even my sisters school does not have pay phones or phones available for students to use. If my sister didn't have her cell phone on her one day we wouldnt have known that she missed her bus and was walking home. The school was locked she couldnt get in. So yes this day in age where everything is dangerous a selfphone is necessary.
I live in NJ. No costumes worn during the day unless your kid is in pre-K or Kindergarten for 2.5 hours - so the teachers don't have to get the kids in their costumes for their little parades.

I didn't say a child couldn't have a cell phone. I said a child couldn't turn it on during the day/use it or leave it on while sitting in his/her locker. It's disruptive. And who the hell is calling a school aged kid on their cell phone during school hours anyway?

What is so emergent that a kid has to call/text his/her parent that wouldn't justify use of the school phone?

Your sister missed the bus and no one was around? What kind of a school is that? Everyone is bussed and teachers/coaches/admin all leave when the last bus does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 08:44 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,841,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

Your sister missed the bus and no one was around? What kind of a school is that? Everyone is bussed and teachers/coaches/admin all leave when the last bus does?
Doesn't that qualify as an emergency?

I remember my high school had one pay phone and one office phone. In grade school you better be bleeding from 3 or 4 different orifices before you could use the office phone.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:51 PM

707 posts, read 1,467,951 times
Quote:
who the hell is calling a school aged kid on their cell phone during school hours anyway?

What is so emergent that a kid has to call/text his/her parent that wouldn't justify use of the school phone?

Parents who have an emergency, who need to tell there child they wont be home. Its much easier to text and call them then to be put on hold on the school phone, take the child out of the class, wait for the child to come to that phone.

If a child is having severe pains its much easier for the child to look at the numbers stored in a cell phone then try to guess the phone numbers and use the school phon. Other reasons are if a childs uncomfortable talking to the the teachers, if it was a teacher or adminstrator that did something to do them, if the school denys the use of a phone (and yes some schools will), if theres a school shooting, bomb threat, if its an emergency in the classroom like a teacher having a seizure or heart attack the child can call the authorities (much easier then trying to find a teacher with a phone in the room ect).

Old 10-29-2010, 09:02 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,754,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Ya think?

Not only would my son not be going to the Halloween parties he'd been looking forward to soooo much, he'd be up washing the roof tomorrow morning to get it through his thick head that there will be no more "conversations" (because those are not working) because I am sick and tired of his attitude. He doesn't want to play by the rules? Fine. Life just got reeeeal unpleasant.

What does he hate to do most in the world? Tomorrow, that is what he'll be doing.
I am with you on that DewDrop! My house, car, kitty litter box will be clean as a whistle. No tv, phone, pc, videogames, going out for the whole two weeks.....

Old 10-29-2010, 09:11 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,621,194 times
OP has probably already dealt with the boy at this time, however I wanted to toss something out for this particular issue.

When you are able to realize that you are having a bad day and that you could be overreacting, then take a step back and inform your child that you are not going to do anything today about this issue because you might make a decision you will regret. You are going to sleep on it, get a fresh start tomorrow and then decide how to handle it. Your child can think about what punishment he deserves for breaking school rules and you will rule tomorrow on it.

That automatically rules out retrieving the mask from school. (one problem solved) And it gives you ample time to get a new perspective, calm down and mete out appropriate consequences. (second problem solved)

Personally I wouldn't take issue with the texting. If you get on them for this, they may not text you when they really really need to the next time. It could open the door for a discussion on what topics need to wait until after school and what is okay with you to occur during the day.

FWIW, costumes have not been allowed in most public schools here (Fort Worth-Dallas area) for years and years now. Select few may allow a version, like one that allows the students to dress as book characters on the day closest to Halloween, but they cannot be scary characters.

However, masks are an absolute no, just like they are in banks, convenience stores and gas stations. If they cannot identify who is on school grounds, then safety has been compromised. You can always have that talk as well, emphasizing it's not exactly the fact that it's "Halloween", it's the mask hiding identities issue.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Doesn't that qualify as an emergency?
Who said no one could turn their phone on after school?

Quote:
I remember my high school had one pay phone and one office phone. In grade school you better be bleeding from 3 or 4 different orifices before you could use the office phone.
Hope you don't send your kids to the same school.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Parents who have an emergency, who need to tell there child they wont be home. Its much easier to text and call them then to be put on hold on the school phone, take the child out of the class, wait for the child to come to that phone.
Hardly an emergency. School phone is good for that IF such conversattion MUST take place during school hours. Other than that...get your message that mommy won't be home. No need to be pulled out of class for it. Those piddly little things that aren't a big deal. Messages. Written down and passed on...not always and don't always HAVE to be through a cell phone.

And who said a cell couldn't be USED after school? If parents are aware of this policy and need to get in touch before their precious child can turn on their cell phone, there is a school # to call and messages can be relayed. Such as : check your phone once school ends.

Quote:
If a child is having severe pains its much easier for the child to look at the numbers stored in a cell phone then try to guess the phone numbers and use the school phon.
You're stretching it.

Quote:
Other reasons are if a childs uncomfortable talking to the the teachers, if it was a teacher or adminstrator that did something to do them, if the school denys the use of a phone (and yes some schools will), if theres a school shooting, bomb threat, if its an emergency in the classroom like a teacher having a seizure or heart attack the child can call the authorities (much easier then trying to find a teacher with a phone in the room ect).
ROTFLMBFAO! Stretch some more!

Stop embarrassing yourself.

Is that your nickname? Stretch?

Old 10-30-2010, 12:36 AM

707 posts, read 1,467,951 times
Quote:
Hardly an emergency. School phone is good for that IF such conversattion MUST take place during school hours. Other than that...get your message that mommy won't be home. No need to be pulled out of class for it. Those piddly little things that aren't a big deal. Messages. Written down and passed on...not always and don't always HAVE to be through a cell phone.

And who said a cell couldn't be USED after school? If parents are aware of this policy and need to get in touch before their precious child can turn on their cell phone, there is a school # to call and messages can be relayed. Such as : check your phone once school ends.

You're stretching it.

ROTFLMBFAO! Stretch some more!

Stop embarrassing yourself.

Is that your nickname? Stretch?
Are you even a parent?

Recent Bomb threats:
Marlboro County HS 'all clear' following bomb threat - WMBFNews.com | Myrtle Beach/Florence, SC | News, Weather, Sports
2nd bomb threat this week interrupts Hall school
Bomb threat evacuates N.Ky. high school
Transit Middle School Evacuated For Bomb Threat - WBEN NewsRadio 930 : Buffalo & Niagara Falls, NY

Recent School Shootings and School Shooting Alerts:
Local News (http://www.sherwoodvoice.com/articles/2010/10/29/sherwood_voice/local_news/nws01.txt - broken link)
Shooting at Topeka high school kills one - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/24/2347208/shooting-at-topeka-high-school.html - broken link)

Recent School Abuse:
School volunteer charged with child sex abuse
Jackson school district investigating allegations a coach whipped his players - Local - SunHerald.com (http://www.sunherald.com/2010/10/29/2595768/jackson-school-district-investigating.html - broken link)
Teacher Arrested on Sex Abuse Charges | NBC Washington

Instances where a cell phone was necessary in school:
Teacher Goes Crazy - McGavock High - Video | Mediaite
Student Records School Bus Fight On Cell Phone - KTVI (http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-riverview-gardens-bus-fight-031510,0,3135572.story - broken link)
Cellphone video shows Corpus Christi State School 'fight club' | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/052009dntexfightclubvideo.1c5e1b52.html - broken link)
Meridian High School fight caught on student's cell phone - WLBT 3 - Jackson, MS:

In these instances I would rather have my child have a cell phone on her. Some messages arent even taken down in school.

I really really hope you do not have children.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,351,943 times
When our kids were in middle school they could have their phones in school but they were off and in their lockers. I knew if I needed them to do something different then was planned after school, etc. I could send them a text and they would get it before leaving school. They are now in high school and the rule is that they can use their phones between classes and during lunch. It's REALLY nice to be able to text them and say, "please pick up some milk on the way home" . I don't need to justify my kids having and using cell phones to anyone. My kids have them because they wanted them and we can afford them, period. I have also since discovered that it makes MY life easier so that is a bonus.

Times change, so what if it wasn't what YOU had. I am sure your parents hated your 8 track tape player as much as you hate cell phones.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:36 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,286,452 times
Quote:
Are you even a parent?

Recent Bomb threats:
Marlboro County HS 'all clear' following bomb threat - WMBFNews.com | Myrtle Beach/Florence, SC | News, Weather, Sports
2nd bomb threat this week interrupts Hall school
Bomb threat evacuates N.Ky. high school
Transit Middle School Evacuated For Bomb Threat - WBEN NewsRadio 930 : Buffalo & Niagara Falls, NY

Recent School Shootings and School Shooting Alerts:
Local News (http://www.sherwoodvoice.com/articles/2010/10/29/sherwood_voice/local_news/nws01.txt - broken link)
Shooting at Topeka high school kills one - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/24/2347208/shooting-at-topeka-high-school.html - broken link)

Recent School Abuse:
School volunteer charged with child sex abuse
Jackson school district investigating allegations a coach whipped his players - Local - SunHerald.com (http://www.sunherald.com/2010/10/29/2595768/jackson-school-district-investigating.html - broken link)
Teacher Arrested on Sex Abuse Charges | NBC Washington

Instances where a cell phone was necessary in school:
Teacher Goes Crazy - McGavock High - Video | Mediaite
Student Records School Bus Fight On Cell Phone - KTVI (http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-riverview-gardens-bus-fight-031510,0,3135572.story - broken link)
Cellphone video shows Corpus Christi State School 'fight club' | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/052009dntexfightclubvideo.1c5e1b52.html - broken link)
Meridian High School fight caught on student's cell phone - WLBT 3 - Jackson, MS:

In these instances I would rather have my child have a cell phone on her. Some messages arent even taken down in school.

I really really hope you do not have children.

I am not sure what the protocol is where your child goes to school, but in any state we have ever lived in, if there is a bomb threat, parents are not allowed anywhere near the school, this is not the rules of the school but rather the police dept, so even if your child does have a cell you can't be there with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting