Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 AM

543 posts, read 3,078,157 times

Advertisements

I know a 7 year old who has a friend who seems to control her at school.

B (friend, a girl) prevents A (the girl) from playing with anybody else. Once B found A playing with C (another girl) at recess and told A that if B finds A playing with C again B will never play again with A and go back to playing with D. So I said that's mean of B to say that and A should be able to play with anybody she wants. But A replied, 'no no no, I can just play with B.'

At another time, B told A to undo her ponytail because, according to A, A looks too beautiful and B doesn't have a ponytail and feels jealous.

And then A cries about getting late to school not for its own sake but because B will say something negative to her (something to the effect of not being able to sit with her and talk with her on the bus I guess?)

The mom enrolled A in girl scout and then B told A not to go to girl scout so A cried. B told A's mom 'I don't want A to go to girl's scout (because B wants to talk to A in the bus)' in a tone of voice that suggests *she* decides what A does or doesn't.

And once A didn't turn in the homework because B told A that it wasn't due yet. Then A was scolded by mom for listening to B rather than A. Mom said she should report B to the teachers but A said B will get mad at her and not play with her anymore.

I think it's better to lose such a bossy friend and then get many other friends instead of just one who doesn't let her play with other kids.

Should the mom tell A to not to play with B anymore and just play with other children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 11:10 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Telling A not to play with B will probably not have the desired effect although I agree that it would be a better idea. What does A see in B that makes her want to be with her? That is the root of the problem, I think.

It is important to let her know that she doesn't have to be friends with everyone, especially people who don't treat her well. B may actually be jealous of A. That may be why she wants to monopolize her. I would encourage activities for A where B is not involved. Girl Scouts may be the perfect opportunity for A to make some new friends outside of the school contact.

Mom should talk to the teachers about the situation and perhaps get a school councilor involved as well. The teacher and councilor may not intervene, but they may have some ideas and they may be able to separate the girls in terms of working groups in school so that A makes some other friends.

Dorothy

Old 11-02-2010, 11:30 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Reading this reminded me of reading a math story problem

Old 11-02-2010, 11:35 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
Should the mom tell A to not to play with B anymore and just play with other children?
What do you honestly think is going to get accomplished by doing this? Do think the mom is going to have a light bulb moment and go, "oh my gosh, I never thought of that!".

I'm sure the mom realizes there is a problem. Inserting advice unless asked, probably not a good idea.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:43 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
LOL Very true!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:53 AM

208 posts, read 271,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
x = B+A(A+C)/A x A-B(B+D)²

Now I have to actually go and do some work.

But x might = 7 years old.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:09 PM

992 posts, read 2,373,405 times
Sad situation for the little girl...I have an 8 year old and a 6 year old, and boy do I know how cruel kids can be!!!! It's heartbreaking when our children have a difficult time at school and have to deal with such nonsense. However, it sounds like the little girl just needs to realize (be taught/shown) how a true friend behaves...this little girl (whatever her letter is) is bossy and well, she's 7. Obviously she's succeeding in getting the other girl to do what she wants so she's going to keep doing it....remember, she's 7. When people stop responding to her demands and behvavior, she'll stop or she'll move on to someone else....someone else that may deck her!

In any case, this little girl that feels victimized needs support, and needs to be shown a strong backbone...it's not always easy or popular to do, but if it's hindering her school work, then something needs to be done.

We can't change others but we can change or alter our behavior to change the outcome of a situation.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:15 PM

613 posts, read 991,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
I know a 7 year old who has a friend who seems to control her at school.

B (friend, a girl) prevents A (the girl) from playing with anybody else. Once B found A playing with C (another girl) at recess and told A that if B finds A playing with C again B will never play again with A and go back to playing with D. So I said that's mean of B to say that and A should be able to play with anybody she wants. But A replied, 'no no no, I can just play with B.'

At another time, B told A to undo her ponytail because, according to A, A looks too beautiful and B doesn't have a ponytail and feels jealous.

And then A cries about getting late to school not for its own sake but because B will say something negative to her (something to the effect of not being able to sit with her and talk with her on the bus I guess?)

The mom enrolled A in girl scout and then B told A not to go to girl scout so A cried. B told A's mom 'I don't want A to go to girl's scout (because B wants to talk to A in the bus)' in a tone of voice that suggests *she* decides what A does or doesn't.

And once A didn't turn in the homework because B told A that it wasn't due yet. Then A was scolded by mom for listening to B rather than A. Mom said she should report B to the teachers but A said B will get mad at her and not play with her anymore.

I think it's better to lose such a bossy friend and then get many other friends instead of just one who doesn't let her play with other kids.

I'm guessing that E (A's mom), hasn't raised any girls yet. E will soon learn that A will be friends with B, but not with C today, but will be friends with D next week and will shun B, until she decides to be friends with C. Next week, A will pal around with F and G, but only until H tell her she doesn't like F, when A will then promptly snub G, start playing with I, J and K. L, M and N will tell A that she shouldn't be friends with I, J, and K, but to join M, N and O because they will be best friends.

Then, P, Q, R, S and T will "steal" M from the group, and N and O will no longer talk to A, and A will not associate with U, V, W, X or Y because they are not popular.

Then A will become best friends with Z, and will remain so for a long time until Z steals A's boyfriend.

Welcome to the world of girls

Old 11-02-2010, 01:59 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times
Congratulations! You have a girl. It is called NORMAL. This is what girls do to start establishing who is the "higher ranking" in the school social status. Let the girls figure it out on their own- if your daughter truly wants your help/advice on how to handle it, she will come to you

Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 PM

613 posts, read 991,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Congratulations! You have a girl. It is called NORMAL. This is what girls do to start establishing who is the "higher ranking" in the school social status. Let the girls figure it out on their own- if your daughter truly wants your help/advice on how to handle it, she will come to you
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting