Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 11:40 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times

Advertisements

My DD is leaving for Duke Young Writers Camp next Sunday. Anyone aware of links to blogs with former camper posts?

My google search took me to this thread:

writer's camp at duke or ncstate

Funny how so many google searches point to CD!

Also, any secrets on how a 14 YO can pack for two-weeks and keep it under the airline weight limit of 50 pounds? She's already planning to do laundry in the dorm over the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 12:19 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I'm just down the road in Chapel Hill. It is ungodly and early hot here but hot is not a stranger to you.Unless told otherwise, I'd assume everything can be done in shorts and t's. probably only one pair of shoes and flip flops, 1 quick drying swimsuit and coverup, etc. if she has access to w/d, she really doesn't even need but 7 outfits she can mix and match.
Hope she enjoys her stay and congrats to her for getting in this camp.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:53 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
We had to pack for a month at a time when we went to camp. The only reason our stuff was heavy, was because we had to pack everything in steam trunks. Otherwise, it'd be under 40 pounds:

10 pairs underpants
10 pairs socks
3 bras (if it applies)

3 pairs shorts
2 pairs bluejeans
5 tee-shirts
5 tank-shirts
1 sweatshirt
1 dress (we had 2 social dances each summer)
1 hoodie
1 windbreaker

1 pair flip-flops
1 pair sneakers
1 pair riding boots (if applicable)
4 sample packs (or individual coin-op packs) of laundry detergent, 4 dryer sheets.

1 solid rub-on bug stick
1 solid deodorant stick
5 hotel shampoos and conditioners
1 bar body soap with plastic soap case
1 toothbrush
1 small tube toothpaste
at least 1 month's worth of braces elastics, if applicable - and a package of dental wax.

If the 2 weeks is 14 nights, then 18 nights worth of prescription meds, to be placed with the infirmary and dispensed by the camp nurse as prescribed. Always include a couple days' extra.

The above list is more than one would -actually- wear in a 1 week period of time, but when you're dealing with kids, you can't count on them not falling in the mud, or getting paint splattered on them, or laughing so hard they pee a little by mistake, or not being able to use the laundry facilities "on time" and having to wait an extra day or two. It should come to around 30-35 pounds, plus a pound or two for the duffel bag. If you ROLL everything up, and insert in the suitcase in rows (front to back) and then a second layer on top, instead of folding and laying out flat, you could fit ALL of that in a single suitcase designed to fit a week's worth of clothes with enough room left over for a couple of paperbacks in the side pockets.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:56 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Great list, thanks. We just returned from shopping for the things that she doesn't already have and you've listed a few things that I didn't think about. I am going to borrow a large duffel bag, instead of a suitcase to lower the weight.

Kudzu- I spent several summers in the Faison area and it was even hotter than here. I think being further from the ocean, I just remember 18 days when it was over 100. I hope she will be able to do some fun NC things. You have a great state. I'm excited for her.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I forgot the bathingsuit! Don't forget that.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Great list, thanks. We just returned from shopping for the things that she doesn't already have and you've listed a few things that I didn't think about. I am going to borrow a large duffel bag, instead of a suitcase to lower the weight.

Kudzu- I spent several summers in the Faison area and it was even hotter than here. I think being further from the ocean, I just remember 18 days when it was over 100. I hope she will be able to do some fun NC things. You have a great state. I'm excited for her.
I think we had similar number of days over 100 last summer. right now we are getting a thunderstorm with a bit of rain but we are very low for the year and it looks like a hot dry summer is in store. Hope she enjoys her Tar Heel time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting