Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 12:24 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'll tell you why I wouldn't have gotten the child:
Because in today's over-reactive society, it would've been the perfect opportunity for the mom to turn around and accuse me of attempting to kidnap her darling precious little girl.

I don't need that kind of headache in my life. I'd yell at the kid to get back in her mom's car, honk on my horn, alert the management, stand in front of the mom's car, shake my fist - but no, I wouldn't put one finger on that child. I have no interest in a court appearance.
I'll risk the very small danger of a mom maybe being upset that I stopped her child from running into the road vs. a dead child. I mean seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'll risk the very small danger of a mom maybe being upset that I stopped her child from running into the road vs. a dead child. I mean seriously.

A child can get away from the best of parents. I would be very greatful to anyone who was looking out for the best interest of my child if I happened to be distracted. Not that I would be yelling on the phone, ignoring my kids, and slapping them around.

BTW, I find it very distasteful for any parent to tell their kid to shut up.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:01 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times
Quote:
I'll tell you why I wouldn't have gotten the child:
Because in today's over-reactive society, it would've been the perfect opportunity for the mom to turn around and accuse me of attempting to kidnap her darling precious little girl.

I don't need that kind of headache in my life. I'd yell at the kid to get back in her mom's car, honk on my horn, alert the management, stand in front of the mom's car, shake my fist - but no, I wouldn't put one finger on that child. I have no interest in a court appearance.

I do understand what you are saying. Many of times I have gone to visit my kids at school and the other kids will just come up to me and hug me. I worry that someone might get upset, but what am I suppose to do? Tell the kids to get away from me. It's not like I held out my arms and said group hug.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:31 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
I'm tellin ya, it's the cell phone. It turns reasonable, intelligent, well-adjusted people into freak mutant aliens. And then, when they're done with their call, they revert back to being normal people, and don't even realize how extraordinarily freakish they were just moments ago. They don't KNOW how horrible they are, while they're being horrible, because they have that cell phone, or a headset, attached to their ear.
This made me laugh. I am also amazed at how many women can feel normal going to a public restroom and talking on their cell; I've heard too many things I really didn't want to hear.

As for the OPs ?, I highly doubt this very quick encounter deems police intervention. As some have mentioned, there are times when I have FOR SURE not won Mommy of the Day award when out in public. Most times things go great & my kids are great, but we have had our moments. EVERY parent has had their moment.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:10 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
BTW, I find it very distasteful for any parent to tell their kid to shut up.
I find it distasteful as well. However, I have told my teens to shut up a few times. I'm not proud of that but it does happen sometimes.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:33 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Just curious, why didn't you go get the child?

I stopped a boy yesterday from running out of a mall when he got away from his mom. *shrug* Was it more important for you to see just how incompetent this mother was or what?

Its my job to tell her to get her child..If her child was closer to me than her mom I would've gotten her.
Yea it was important for me to tell her she was incompetent..Im probably the only one whoever told her.
There is nothing wrong with her getting her own kid

Old 11-08-2010, 03:52 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
I confess....I am reckless and foolhardy. Saturday, at Walmart, I was in the checkout line. A bedraggled mommy with a couple of kids was behind me in line. Her little one....about 2, took off running past me. The mom was busy with the baby in the cart...I confess. I went after him and brought him back to the mom. Imagine this....she thanked me, profusely and generously. Phew....no lawsuits this week!! LOL

Old 11-08-2010, 11:09 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I was out walking a couple of days ago and passed this lady getting into her car. She had a couple of little boys, maybe 6 or 7, anyway, she was yelling and screaming at these two kids. She was cussing and saying nasty things to them. The thing was they didn't seem bad or unruly.

I'd like to slap the taste out of her mouth.
I saw a mother yelling hard at her kids in line at Wal-Mart. I had the opposite reaction you did. I wanted to thank her for being a good mother. Too many parents these days let their kids get away with everything so I found the yelling to be quite refreshing.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:25 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I saw a mother yelling hard at her kids in line at Wal-Mart. I had the opposite reaction you did. I wanted to thank her for being a good mother. Too many parents these days let their kids get away with everything so I found the yelling to be quite refreshing.
OMG was it me? LOL I live in your city and I was at WM in the past week, with all four (as you may know school was out for two days last week) and they were sending me up the wall.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:49 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I do think that as a community, we do have a responsiblity to help out people with kids, who need help. Awhile back, I found a little one wandering around the store alone. I took his hand, and we went to the front of the store where I handed him off to the manager. I don't fault his parent, or whoever he was with...they can just wander off in a nano second.

Also, I saw a Mom with a couple of kids at the airport, she looked exhausted. I told my daughter to go sit by her, and we offered to take the older kids with us to the play area. This woman was absolutely done. She looked like she was going to cry she was so thankful. I took the baby too, and told her to take a break. I don't know what her situation was, but she was done. She could still see us from where she was, but she had some down time from those 3 kids, and she needed it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting