Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,507,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's fun to bullies. If it wasn't, this topic wouldn't exist.
I understand That. It seems like 'the Tail is now wagging the Dog'. The lowest element sets the standards for the rest.
As you said in a previous post:
'People shouldn't HAVE to fight back. They shouldn't have to be put in the position of needing to defend themselves in the first place.'

jmo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 12:34 AM

852 posts, read 1,366,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Or maybe they do all they can do on top of educating the kids and running a school without parental involvement. This is my 3rd year in PTA and I'm frustrated and upset with the total lack of parental involvement. And I hear the same thing from teachers. The schools only have so much time and so much money. At some point, parents (and more than just the usual handful) have to pony up. Bullying begins and ends at home. The schools can only help buoy the situation toward ending--not stop it. For that, parents have to be involved, be donating their time and money, and realize that every kid can be a meany--even theirs.
All due respect, but at my daughter's elementary school, the biggest bullies are the children of the PTA officers. Because these women are so entrenched in what's going on at school, the teachers and principal don't address problems with the children, lest they lose the volunteer work of the mothers. The mothers know this, and they jockey for position in the PTA to get their kids more clout at school. I'm active in the PTA, and I speak from what I see. It's very cliquey.

But I do absolutely agree that any kid can be a meany, and that's why it's up to parents to uphold the highest standards for how their children conduct themselves socially. The schools need to have high standards too. Consequences. Every time.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:47 AM

852 posts, read 1,366,504 times
Sorry to double post, but I have to agree with Anon Chick that the internet is too present in the lives of some children. (And some adults too. I recently took a two-monthish break from all social networking. In fact, I'm only on here tonight because I have insomnia. I probably won't be back for awhile). My kids have been bringing home spelling and math URLs for a couple of years now, but they haven't been asked to participate in any social networking.

Facebook's terms of service clearly state that users should be 13, and the site has a place to report underage users. Some of my 11 y.o. daughter's friends have pages, but we've told my daughter not to even ask for another two years. So the parents who are allowing their under 13 children to have pages are lying or allowing the children to lie. Great message, folks! The rules don't apply, right? What other rules don't apply then? I believe that the culture of bullying starts with breaking the rules, disregarding the honor system, putting what is wanted over what is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting