Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:22 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,148,577 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear from parents that have their children on antidepressant drugs. How did you come to this decision? What did you try before taking the medication route? What has been the benefits and pitfalls. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 09:46 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,929,816 times
Being a teenager is very challenging today, so being depressed might be normal - just saying there might be "nothing wrong" with the teen - it might just be the society. Maybe think about getting the teen out in nature, homeschooled, or take them on a vacation . . . see a therapist, try vitamins, organic foods, adventures in nature . . . hobbies . . . if the depression is due to stress, then cut the stressors . . . you can no info and asked for no advice, but medication is not the ONLY answer to life's problems . . . it can be a band-aid and help during acute phases of danger but I personally think people depend upon medications to cure life's ills. Maybe he or she just needs some TLC . . .

Old 11-12-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Being a teenager is very challenging today, so being depressed might be normal - just saying there might be "nothing wrong" with the teen - it might just be the society. Maybe think about getting the teen out in nature, homeschooled, or take them on a vacation . . . see a therapist, try vitamins, organic foods, adventures in nature . . . hobbies . . . if the depression is due to stress, then cut the stressors . . . you can no info and asked for no advice, but medication is not the ONLY answer to life's problems . . . it can be a band-aid and help during acute phases of danger but I personally think people depend upon medications to cure life's ills. Maybe he or she just needs some TLC . . .
Thanks but I was looking for thoughts from parents that have experience with their teens on medication.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:09 PM

I know that, but in the meantime, just wanted to suggest some alternatives because a lot of people are so brainwashed by the drug companies and society that they can't even fathom that there are solutions other than toxic drugs. I don't know if you are open-minded or have a Whole Foods or other natural foodstores in your area, but they have so many resources it is just incredible from vitamins to flower essences and everything in between. Acupuncture is another alternative to medication. I just think it is worth a try to think of natural healing methods but no one can stop you from medicating your child.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I know that, but in the meantime, just wanted to suggest some alternatives because a lot of people are so brainwashed by the drug companies and society that they can't even fathom that there are solutions other than toxic drugs. I don't know if you are open-minded or have a Whole Foods or other natural foodstores in your area, but they have so many resources it is just incredible from vitamins to flower essences and everything in between. Acupuncture is another alternative to medication. I just think it is worth a try to think of natural healing methods but no one can stop you from medicating your child.
You have a teen that was or is depressed?

Old 11-12-2010, 10:28 PM

I don't know.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-12-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I don't know.

Good luck to you!
ok, thanks.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:45 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,873 times
Quote:
Maybe he or she just needs some TLC . . .

If there is a chemical deficit in the brain, tlc isn't going to help. Actual clinical depression isn't the blues and needs to be treated seriously. Would you advocate acupuncture for a diabetic?

My daughter has Asperger's and ADHD. We put her on an antidepressant because she was having mood issues, was very angry and lashing out. She has been in counseling on and off since her diagnosis in third grade. She is on other medications to deal with her other issues.

The medicine worked and she is WAY more pleasant to be around, and happier. The only side effect we saw was weight gain, which is common with any antidepressant. We're working on that, but I would rather have her carrying some extra weight than be so unhappy and angry at the world. You may have to try more than one medicine before you find the one that works best for your child.

You didn't say if your child has other issues, and my case may not speak to your specific situation. Medication doesn't solve all issues and there are many children who are probably overmedicated. You can always stop the medication if it's not effective or if the side effects outweigh the benefits. I would urge you to talk to your child's doctor who can recommend a psychiatrist who specializes in teen depression. They know way more than your average pediatrician. Our doctor referred us when she felt she had come to the end of her knowledge on the subject.

Good luck.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
If there is a chemical deficit in the brain, tlc isn't going to help. Actual clinical depression isn't the blues and needs to be treated seriously. Would you advocate acupuncture for a diabetic?

My daughter has Asperger's and ADHD. We put her on an antidepressant because she was having mood issues, was very angry and lashing out. She has been in counseling on and off since her diagnosis in third grade. She is on other medications to deal with her other issues.

The medicine worked and she is WAY more pleasant to be around, and happier. The only side effect we saw was weight gain, which is common with any antidepressant. We're working on that, but I would rather have her carrying some extra weight than be so unhappy and angry at the world. You may have to try more than one medicine before you find the one that works best for your child.

You didn't say if your child has other issues, and my case may not speak to your specific situation. Medication doesn't solve all issues and there are many children who are probably overmedicated. You can always stop the medication if it's not effective or if the side effects outweigh the benefits. I would urge you to talk to your child's doctor who can recommend a psychiatrist who specializes in teen depression. They know way more than your average pediatrician. Our doctor referred us when she felt she had come to the end of her knowledge on the subject.

Good luck.
Reebo, I kindly thank you for your comments. This is what I was looking for, someone to tell me their experiences with it. I am not fond of medication and was disappointed when my child's counselor suggested it. I specifically chose a social worker for help vs seeking help from a psychiatrist because I wanted options and felt a Dr. would go the medication route right away. The counselor wants psych testing done to look at ADD and anxiety. It is no longer typical teenage blues or lack of a big hug on my part. I think there are a lot people that misunderstand depression. That can make parents of a depressed teen feel isolated and frustrated. Thank you for sharing your experiences with me.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:20 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,144 times
Quote:

Why is it that you and your purpleness only appear when someone starts a thread about disorders or medications
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting