Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:02 AM

466 posts, read 815,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
We weren't in the parking lot where the servers were coming and going and until this other woman showed up we were the only people on the patio. The woman made her comment as soon as she arrived and we left about 5 minutes later (and I did comply with her request for the remainder of our stay).

I have 10 years experience working in restaurants. I understand that letting kids run around where servers are present can be dangerous. This was not the case.
Are you talking about the covered patio on the front of the store? At the Sonics here, servers use the door on the patio to go back and forth. If it's a different set-up at your place, I can see it not really mattering.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:07 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
Are you talking about the covered patio on the front of the store? At the Sonics here, servers use the door on the patio to go back and forth. If it's a different set-up at your place, I can see it not really mattering.
Yes the patio is covered out front but all of the cars park on the edges of the parking lot, not up against the patio or the building so the servers don't walk across the patio unless someone sitting at the patio orders from there. I have seen the setup that you are talking about and agree that would be different as servers would be walking through to get to the cars.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:30 AM

218 posts, read 455,228 times
It's just obnoxious behaviour, from both parents and children, it's always been annoying, it'll continue to be annoying.......plain and simple.....

Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If they were running around the table, then it sounds like they were finished eating. Since the patio at Sonic isn't a playground, and the kids weren't eating and were clearly riled up and demonstrating a very marked need to be physically active, why didn't you just leave and take the kids to a playground? Why would you -want- your kids to be running around some noisy fast food joint sidewalk? The priorities of some people really just perplex the crap out of me.
I agree, AC! Don't care for Sonic's food, but Dairy Queen has an outdoor patio just like Sonic. We enjoy outdoors and eating on the patio. It is definitely not a playground. People are there to eat, not be irritated buy someone's wild children. Patio or not, the tables are set up for other diners, not for children to run around.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:41 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Kids must be well behaved in my neck of the woods. I have seldom encountered unruly children in restaurants or perhaps I am immune to it. I have been annoyed by loud cell phone talkers in restaurants and teenagers who seem to believe everyone is interested in their conversation, like, ya know.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:35 AM

196 posts, read 208,730 times
If they come too close to me I just whisper, "Guess what kid? There's really no Santa Clause, and heaven is just a fairytale to make you behave." and they run back to mommy in horror... problem solved.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:56 AM

208 posts, read 271,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Cell phones need to be out of sight and never used in public.
Not a great many reasons to have them at all then are there.

I agree, it's up to the parents to teach children how to behave in different environments. I wouldn't say this is particularly an epidemic, but yes I have come across parents at various times who think that their little he!! raiser is just the cutest, funniest, most adorable thing.

I have picked up kids who weren't feeling the whole restaurant vibe and left on a couple of ocassions*. I've also changed plans before going, because I could tell that we weren't going to be appreciated on that particular day. Yes, there are going to be children everywhere, but I don't think it's out of line for others to have reasonable expectations of your child's behavior in different settings. And it's the parent's responsibility to live up to expectations society has of your darling.

*My own children by the way. I don't mean picking up other peoples' children and depositing them outside....though, not a bad idea at times....

Old 11-30-2010, 12:48 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I thought we were talking about other people's children. My children are 38 and 44. I have never had a meal ruined by children because I love children; but I absolutely hate to have someone barking into a cell phone so loud that the entire room can hear it. I even once had two girls on a table across from me that were conducting a conference call. The dining table is no place to conduct business. We don't go to that place anymore. Anyone who allows cell phone use, will not be getting my business. Cell phones need to be out of sight and never used in public. My opinion. When a person has class, you never know they have a cell phone. Use them in your car or hotel room. My grandchildren are not allowed to have cell phones at the dining table.

Children on a trip have to eat somewhere. Get a life.
BBM, Although this is OT, I had to comment. I disagree w/ you 100% about cell phones in public. My husband is a doctor and he MUST have his cell phone w/ him, even in restaurants. He puts it on vibrating and if he gets a call, he gets up and takes it outside. BTW, he has total class!

The reason I have my cell with me in public, I might add is in case my daughter needs to get a hold of me. I agree that many people abuse their cells w/o any thought to those around them, but please don't put those of us w/ class in the same category as them.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:00 PM

218 posts, read 455,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
BBM, Although this is OT, I had to comment. I disagree w/ you 100% about cell phones in public. My husband is a doctor and he MUST have his cell phone w/ him, even in restaurants. He puts it on vibrating and if he gets a call, he gets up and takes it outside. BTW, he has total class!

The reason I have my cell with me in public, I might add is in case my daughter needs to get a hold of me. I agree that many people abuse their cells w/o any thought to those around them, but please don't put those of us w/ class in the same category as them.
I must say, doctors can use their phones WHENEVER they want.......what if I were the patient, and someone needed to get ahold of him in regards to something to do with me.......But what I do NOT like is "Billybob" using his phone (the kind with the radio....it goes beep beep, lol) so he can disuss with his friend "Joe Blow" how many cases of beer to bring to the party tonight and how many fine peices of *** are going to be there.........or Tiff talking bout what a jerk her boyfriend is and how she can't break up with him because her toothbrush is at his house!!!! And those kinds of conversations taking place in the booth right behind me!!!

Old 11-30-2010, 01:07 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I was at a restaurant once and my child was laughing loudly with her friend and running around the table. A young woman who also happened to be pregnant glared at me and told me to control my child. We were on the patio at Sonic (fast food drive up restaurant for those who don't know).

I complied with the request but had to stifle a laugh because I can understand if we were at a nicer place or even inside but the patio of a fast food drive through restaurant? Really?

You should have said wait till your's pops out before you offer an opinion .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting