Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times

Advertisements

Hey all...

Looking for ideas for stocking gifts for my 8 year old boy. Items do not technically have to fit into a stocking (no fireplace...we use large red bowls)...

He is getting a whole bunch of DS games as one of his regular presents, and we already have more legos than Legoville...

He does not like candy, so that's out as well.

I am hoping for some suggestions that have a lot of bang for the buck.

Meanwhile, I have too many ideas for my 4 year old girl.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
My 9-year-old son is into Silly Bandz... the kids all trade them at the park, boys and girls alike, so he's getting a couple packages of those. He is also into these little Halo "army guy" things... they come in a black package for about $2 at Walmart, and you don't know which one it is until you open the package. Trying to think of what else we have so far... how about stylus pens for the DS? Or maybe a carry-case if he does not already have one? Does he like hot chocolate? Maybe the gourmet packages of those, like hazelnut or peppermint? Ummm.... markers? My son is tickled that he's now been deemed old enough to use permanent markers to mark his CDs or what-have-you. Cheap earphones to go with the DS? My teen bought my son a pair for under $10. A book of word-search puzzles? Gel pens? Does he have a zhu zhu pet? They're so silly, but both of my kids got a kick out of them last year... I think they're about $7 or $8 now, and some look more "boyish" than the pastel ones that they had out last winter.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:25 PM

The headphones are a GREAT idea; he's always borrowing his dad's.

I had been saving zhu zhu pets forever but had to use them at Easter when we accidentally left one kids' Easter basket stuff behind.

Thanks!

Keep the ideas coming!!

Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 PM

Do you think 8 is too young for a basic Swiss Army Tool?

Have to keep it away from the 4 year old, of course....

Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
socks and underwear

Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 PM

345 posts, read 474,205 times
My daughter is 18. My mom quilted a stocking for her when she was young. It is huge so filling it is a mix of small gifts and volume filler. For example a bag of good trail mix and a bottle of high end water like Fuji. Given the time she gets up (5 am the latest) and the openning time (my dad would take 10 minutes a gift) the snacks would keep her, and us, full until I could make brunch.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:05 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
My 9-year-old has a swiss army knife/tool. He knows to keep it away from my 7-year-old, and that he's not allowed to play with it when he has friends over. I think that if your son is on the mature side of 8, it should be fine.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:32 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,272 times
Inexpensive character tees, rolled up and tied with a ribbon. Walmart and Target both have them for around $6 or $7. I just bought Domo tees for my girls' stockings.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:47 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,498 times
Does he have a favorite series of books?
Diary of a Wimpy Kid is a hit with that age. Throw in a book light.
Rubiks Cube
What does he enjoy doing? Paintball? Airsoft? Skateboarding? Maybe a pass or gift card to someplace he enjoys or something he would like to try. My kids sometimes prefer doing things over having things.
Beef jerky, favorite snack
Sugarless gum
A new toothbrush, toothpaste and floss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-06-2010, 09:52 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
socks and underwear
How boring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
My 9-year-old son is into Silly Bandz... the kids all trade them at the park, boys and girls alike, so he's getting a couple packages of those. He is also into these little Halo "army guy" things... they come in a black package for about $2 at Walmart, and you don't know which one it is until you open the package. Trying to think of what else we have so far... how about stylus pens for the DS? Or maybe a carry-case if he does not already have one? Does he like hot chocolate? Maybe the gourmet packages of those, like hazelnut or peppermint? Ummm.... markers? My son is tickled that he's now been deemed old enough to use permanent markers to mark his CDs or what-have-you. Cheap earphones to go with the DS? My teen bought my son a pair for under $10. A book of word-search puzzles? Gel pens? Does he have a zhu zhu pet? They're so silly, but both of my kids got a kick out of them last year... I think they're about $7 or $8 now, and some look more "boyish" than the pastel ones that they had out last winter.
Excellent ideas! I love making stockings fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting