Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:55 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,830 times

Advertisements

See if there is an organization that helps homeless teens nearby. We have one in the next county. It helps them finish high school or get their GED. Job training, life skills, medical and dental care and legal help if needed.
Based on what you have said about him, he clearly needs more than just child support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 12:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
See if there is an organization that helps homeless teens nearby. We have one in the next county. It helps them finish high school or get their GED. Job training, life skills, medical and dental care and legal help if needed.
Based on what you have said about him, he clearly needs more than just child support.
I know he needs more than child support, but he does need child support too. We don't live in an area of the country where it's possible to live without a car. He needs a way to get back and forth to work or he won't be able to work. These people are wealthy. It just makes me sick that they aren't supporting him in any way.

But a homeless teen organization is a good start. Thank you for the idea.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:22 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I just checked. There aren't any homeless teen organizations in my area. I'm going to talk to the guidance counselor on Monday.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Have you checked with something like Job Corps? They have dormitories and career training. I know of a couple who was having trouble with their kid at home, he was being thick-headed and a problem, and Job Corps was helpful in his case.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:41 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Sounds like he learned it from his parents. What the hell kind of parents toss their kid back and forth between one another like he is a piece of unwanted furniture? I don't care how irresponsible, selfish, ect he is. He is UNDERAGE and it is his PARENTS responsibility to teach him how to gain those traits/skills. Sounds like they gave up when the tough got going. ****ty parents if you ask me. No wonder why the kid has issues. He doesn't even have parents that give a damn.

Now, had this kid already graduated high school and then started this crap, no job, ect, kicking him out would be a little bit more reasonable. However, you DO NOT do this to a kid still in high school! Those parents should be arrested IMHO because had he ran away, they could have him arrested at his age. If he doesn't show up to school, they could be the ones who get in trouble with the law.

****ty, ****ty parents
Great post. I hate to pass judgement on people I don't even know, but to toss a kid onto the street because he missed a car payment seems extreme. If you want to teach him responsibility sell the car or let it be repossessed (if its in his name) but kicking the kid to the curb before he finished high school is irresponsible.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:23 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
What is wrong with people? They have a kid, split up, and then pass him back and forth like a hot potato and then kick him to curb when adolescence hits (already a tough time for kids from the most stable families). I wish some people wouldn't reproduce.

I don't blame the OP for not wanting to take him in, despite her understanding that the kid needs help. When you have your own kids, you must provide a stable and safe household for them. My mother took in street kids when I was a teenager and it was disastrous for us. One assaulted me several times and finally after a couple of years, I had to call the cops on him. My mother was so angry with me, we didn't talk for a few years following that. I moved out - I was barely 18 and my other siblings all ended up leaving to live with my father in another state because my mom was on some kind of "saving the street kids mission" and it didn't matter if her own kids were suffering physically and emotionally.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:49 AM

345 posts, read 474,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Teen has 7 more months until graduation.

Can teen take mom AND dad to court for the next 7 months of child support

In my state, parents are responsible for supporting children until they graduate from high school.
At least in Maryland CS is the property of the child, not the custodial parent. It is paid to the CP on behalf of the child. I would assume this is the case in all states. How to enact it - I really don't know. There are free or low coat legal centers that csn help. A list should be available through the court.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:53 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadDad View Post
At least in Maryland CS is the property of the child, not the custodial parent. It is paid to the CP on behalf of the child. I would assume this is the case in all states. How to enact it - I really don't know. There are free or low coat legal centers that csn help. A list should be available through the court.
How long would something like that take? The young man in question will graduate from high school in June.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
If the state finds out he will more than likely be put into state custody and taken away from both parents. He would be put in a foster home. Poor kid...doesn't stand a chance with both parents fighting that they don't want him. I can't even imagine kicking my kid out when still a minor.

Thank you for being concerned about him. Every kid needs someone who cares.

It is not that clear cut. At 17 in Missiuri the child can move out of the home (into BF/GFs house for example) and the parents can't do anything.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
How long would something like that take? The young man in question will graduate from high school in June.

No idea. Maybe an Emergency hearing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting