Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 12:51 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

I do still put my nearly 4 year old son in a stroller. He is extremely difficult to control, especially in public situations. It's better for everyone involved that he goes in a stroller. We do, on each trip, allow him to walk and prove he can behave. He inevitably fails. He has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS (though we are getting a second opinion on it) so it isn't just a case of him being lazy, nor us.

My older son was walking next to me at age 2 beautifully. I didn't have to chase him or worry that he would break something in a store, etc.

All kids are different. I wish the general public would understand and accept this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 02:42 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I do still put my nearly 4 year old son in a stroller. He is extremely difficult to control, especially in public situations. It's better for everyone involved that he goes in a stroller. We do, on each trip, allow him to walk and prove he can behave. He inevitably fails. He has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS (though we are getting a second opinion on it) so it isn't just a case of him being lazy, nor us.

My older son was walking next to me at age 2 beautifully. I didn't have to chase him or worry that he would break something in a store, etc.

All kids are different. I wish the general public would understand and accept this.
How true. You can usually tell the difference though. The kid sluffed back in the stroller with their knees in their chest that isn't even buckled in, probably doesn't need the stroller. Other times you can see the ones all hyper at champing at the bit. In those cases that stroller saved mom and dad and everyone else a lot of headaches.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
How true. You can usually tell the difference though. The kid sluffed back in the stroller with their knees in their chest that isn't even buckled in, probably doesn't need the stroller. Other times you can see the ones all hyper at champing at the bit. In those cases that stroller saved mom and dad and everyone else a lot of headaches.
My grandson would not necessarily be buckled in. He feels safer in the stroller though especially in a busy place where his sensory systems are overwhelmed. Try to understand rather than to make assumptions about what you see based on your own children or the children you know personally.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
My grandson would not necessarily be buckled in. He feels safer in the stroller though especially in a busy place where his sensory systems are overwhelmed. Try to understand rather than to make assumptions about what you see based on your own children or the children you know personally.
Exactly. I hate the assumption that one "can just tell" by merely looking at someone. No, really you cannot. You cannot tell anything by just looking at a person.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:06 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,949 times
Haven't read this whole thread, but my response is, "Who cares?" Let parents do what parents & their kids feel comfortable with. Not hurting anyone.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:08 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
My youngest is 3, and we scrapped the stroller a few months ago....we still have a small umbrella stroller, but it hasn't been used in months. He does ride in the cart in stores, though.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Quote:
Exactly. I hate the assumption that one "can just tell" by merely looking at someone. No, really you cannot. You cannot tell anything by just looking at a person.
You're both right. However, that doesn't change the fact that everyone makes assumptions concerning what they see and relates it to their own personal experience and derives an opinion. Maybe that's why opinions are just like ***holes, everyone has one.

I suppose the difference is I generally keep my opinion to myself and even if I may see a kid in a stroller and think to myself that there's no reason for it, I am also not going to give a disapproving look to the parent or criticise their decision.

Anyone who does something that is "out of the norm" has to expect that people are going to wonder why. It's simply natural. However, what isn't natural is impressing your opinion and thoughts on others and confronting them about it. I may think your nuts for putting an older child in a stroller, but at least I have the decency to not let you know I think your nuts.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:51 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:

Exactly. How can you tell by looking at someone that they are autistic and prone to running off? How can you tell someone has severe developmental disabilities just by looking at them that hinder their ability to know right from wrong (i.e. going off with strangers)? You cannot judge people without actually KNOWING the facts. That is just ignorant. Having worked with special need children with a variety of challenges, many of them look perfectly normal but have impaired judgment which would lead to them being in a dangerous situation without realizing it. Even at 15 years old.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You're both right. However, that doesn't change the fact that everyone makes assumptions concerning what they see and relates it to their own personal experience and derives an opinion. Maybe that's why opinions are just like ***holes, everyone has one.

I suppose the difference is I generally keep my opinion to myself and even if I may see a kid in a stroller and think to myself that there's no reason for it, I am also not going to give a disapproving look to the parent or criticise their decision.

Anyone who does something that is "out of the norm" has to expect that people are going to wonder why. It's simply natural. However, what isn't natural is impressing your opinion and thoughts on others and confronting them about it. I may think your nuts for putting an older child in a stroller, but at least I have the decency to not let you know I think your nuts.
Speak for yourself. While I still slip now and then, I try *extremely* hard to not make assumptions about other people.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Speak for yourself. While I still slip now and then, I try *extremely* hard to not make assumptions about other people.
...but you still do. The thought enters your mind, then you consciously dismiss it in an effort to not be judgemental. Some people are better at doing that than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting