Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2010, 11:34 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Appalled that I spoke to her little angle.
I am sure it is no different than when I have to tell people to watch where the hell they are going because they continually are hitting my kids as they plow through the stores not watching where they are walking and their BAGS and purses are swinging right into my kids face and head.

She was appalled that you would say something... just like someone would be stunned when I tell them I will cut their heart out if they bang into my kid again.

It is jarring for someone to threaten or insult you when you did not realize what was going on, isn't it. Again, be careful what you say to people or you will end up flat on your back. Watch what you are doing bag ladies and we won't have to knock you down with your strollers and army of midget children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 03:52 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,222,276 times
I don't know how many of you have spent lots of time at Disney World, or any other theme park for that matter, but I'm an adult and have wished I had a stroller to put myself in after many long days hiking around Disney. In addition to that, kids are safer in a stroller than having all the selfish adults there stepping on them or pushing their way. It makes it easier on them to eat a treat while they are rolling along...instead of tripping. It also keeps them out of the direct sun. It also minimizes them wandering off or someone taking them.

Unless it is your kid or you are pushing the stroller....why would you care?

In my case, I wish my three year old grandson would stay IN the stroller!!

Old 12-26-2010, 04:09 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,063,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I am sure it is no different than when I have to tell people to watch where the hell they are going because they continually are hitting my kids as they plow through the stores not watching where they are walking and their BAGS and purses are swinging right into my kids face and head.

She was appalled that you would say something... just like someone would be stunned when I tell them I will cut their heart out if they bang into my kid again.

It is jarring for someone to threaten or insult you when you did not realize what was going on, isn't it. Again, be careful what you say to people or you will end up flat on your back. Watch what you are doing bag ladies and we won't have to knock you down with your strollers and army of midget children.
I think firmly telling a child to stop stepping on your foot is a far cry from "I will cut your heart out if you bang into my kid again." Ohiogirl didn't say she insulted anyone, she just directly requested that a child stop injuring her.

If someone had turned to my son and said something like that I would have been mortified that I hadn't realized he'd been doing it. If I determined that he'd done it on purpose, there would have been some serious sanctions. At the very least you would have gotten an apology out of him.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:52 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,729,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I think firmly telling a child to stop stepping on your foot is a far cry from "I will cut your heart out if you bang into my kid again." Ohiogirl didn't say she insulted anyone, she just directly requested that a child stop injuring her.

If someone had turned to my son and said something like that I would have been mortified that I hadn't realized he'd been doing it. If I determined that he'd done it on purpose, there would have been some serious sanctions. At the very least you would have gotten an apology out of him.
Great post! I completely agree. Although it's common to miss what one child is doing, when a parent is preoccupied with the antics of other children, it's amazing that someone has small children who are so incredibly poorly mannered, that they would repeatedly (purposefully?) step on an adult's heel!! As another, highly respected, poster said, I, AND my child, would be apologizing to the injured party, you can believe THAT! Also, the child would be dealing with some serious consequences for such thoughtless, rude behavior.

Taboo..is it? I think your statement was pretty darn harsh, but in certain respects I understand where you're coming from and agree. Hey, I have kids...and some people are so "tunnel visioned", that they don't give a darn WHO they're ramming into, or swinging their bags into. I know it's hectic out there, but consideration for those around you, should be plain ole common sense. Little ones are cutting here and there...sometimes I don't appreciate it, but still...with a humorous grin on my face, I ALWAYS stop dead in my tracks and say, "Oops! 'scuze me kiddo!"...."Go ahead!" What does it hurt? Really? How much time does that take!? I'm tall, but I remember being little...everyone towers above you and you're lost in the valley of skyscrapers when you're little. Give them some consideration....please!?

Last edited by beachmel; 12-26-2010 at 06:14 PM..

Old 12-26-2010, 05:19 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,751,126 times
I think Disneyworld is a different situation to seeing them out and about on an everyday basis. Having said that, we tried to plan and limit our time at DW to what our 6 year old could handle. I don't see how it's much fun for the kids anymore if they're so tired they have to get carted around in a stroller.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:45 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Great post! I completely agree. Although it's common to miss what one child is doing, when a parent is preoccupied with the antics of other children, it's amazing that a someone has small children who are so incredibly poorly mannered, that they would repeatedly (purposefully?) step on an adult's heel!! As another, highly respected, poster said, I, AND my child, would be apologizing to the injured party, you can believe THAT! Also, the child would be dealing with some serious consequences for such thoughtless, rude behavior.

Taboo..is it? I think your statement was pretty darn harsh, but in certain respects I understand where you're coming from and agree. Hey, I have kids...and some people are so "tunnel visioned", that they don't give a darn WHO they're ramming into your swinging their bags into. I know it's hectic out there, but consideration for those around you, should be plain ole common sense. Little ones are cutting here and there...sometimes I don't appreciate it, but still...with a humorous grin on my face, I ALWAYS stop dead in my tracks and say, "Oops! 'scuze me kiddo!"...."Go ahead!" What does it hurt? Really? How much time does that take!? I'm tall, but I remember being little...everyone towers above you and you're lost in the valley of skyscrapers when you're little. Give them some consideration....please!?
Tried to rep you!

Old 12-26-2010, 06:25 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,912,531 times
Several people here have mentioned that some parents keep their kids in strollers out of safety concerns. I think that is a bit of a self-perpetuating cycle.

Where I live, the Security Mom contingent pushed, and won, legislation requiring that children be restrained in child safety seats up to the age of SEVEN when in cars. Public transit has regular announcements and postings stating that children under the age of eight must be in a child safety device or carried by their parents. With those constant reminders and reinforcements, I think even parents who might disagree with the philosophy--begin to think of their children as less capable than they are. Without even realizing it, you begin to think the only safe place for your child is restrained.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:27 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
Maybe I'm sheltered, but I don't think I've ever seen a single 4+ year old kid in a stroller blocking my path in the store and yanking items off the shelf. Where exactly is this ransacking happening?
As I alluded to in my first post, The Emporium at Disneyland. I had a three year old that helped himself to a toy that was in a box. Couldn't see his little hand reaching out and snatching the box off the shelf because of the hood on the stroller. The store was jammed. (Never go to The Emporium after the flag-lowering ceremony.)

I was pushing him down Main Street and all of this packaging was flying around. I was disgusted that someone would litter. At Disneyland! Then I realised all of it was coming from my own child who had helped himself to a five-fingered discount.

We went back inside. He met the sales lady. I was embarassed out of my skin. He and I re-wrapped the toy and he was made to give it back with an "I'm sorry." We went back outside and he got a lecture right there in front of God and Mickey Mouse and everybody. And I changed the configuration on the stroller so I could keep an eye on my little Fagin. I think we also quit going into the shops for a while. Public humiliation will do that to you.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:29 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post

I know, I was just kidding. Some of you cannot tell can you?

I watch my children so I know they aren't causing trouble like that, but the purse/bag statement remains. I will call ALL of them out. Watch yourself and be considerate of each other. That is something EVERYONE should do.
In fact it bothers me that some parents let their children run wild because it makes us all look bad. I am very tough on my kids and I have no trouble telling other parents to reign their children in or I will do it for them.

An apology would have been appropriate, but from the MOTHER who was not watching her child injure someone else. Bad Mommy.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:06 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I don't know how many of you have spent lots of time at Disney World, or any other theme park for that matter, but I'm an adult and have wished I had a stroller to put myself in after many long days hiking around Disney. In addition to that, kids are safer in a stroller than having all the selfish adults there stepping on them or pushing their way. It makes it easier on them to eat a treat while they are rolling along...instead of tripping. It also keeps them out of the direct sun. It also minimizes them wandering off or someone taking them.

Unless it is your kid or you are pushing the stroller....why would you care?

In my case, I wish my three year old grandson would stay IN the stroller!!
Same here. My son is 5 and I wouldn't dream of going to Disney without his stroller. Its much easier to deal with especially when it's crowded, you wouldn't believe how rude and pushy adults can be when it comes to theme parks. I remember the first time we went to Disney two girls in their early 20's stood right in front of my son during the parade...they just kept squishing their way forward and they had effectively gotten in front of him...yep there were fireworks at Disney that day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting