Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:57 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I miss being able to put snacks, water, jackets, etc in it/on it. Now we have to carry everything with us.
Very much. Double strollers can fit a small suitcase of stuff & I can have my coffe w/in arms reach.

And it is also has fantastic behavior modification usage. If he can't walk/act like a big boy, he can sit in the stroller. It works, just like the grocery cart at the store. Works like a charm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 09:27 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh, you two are adorable. But I was just joshing. I was a sling wearing mamma a couple of years ago, so I knew exactly what you meant.

However, you have my blessing to have cocktails at the zoo, if you wish. Especially if you have a stroller with a small umbrella, that can also fit in your glass.
Oh, silly silly. You got me!

Just for fun, here's a more recent pic. The one above was my older girl when she was about 15 months. Here's one with my younger, at around the same age, and even in the same park!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs643.snc4/60290_438473534802_627079802_4968711_2945946_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-14-2010, 11:12 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Oh, silly silly. You got me!

Just for fun, here's a more recent pic. The one above was my older girl when she was about 15 months. Here's one with my younger, at around the same age, and even in the same park!
Too too cute. I love that look. I wonder what she's thinking?

Old 12-14-2010, 11:41 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
[i]When I was a kid, I was told I wouldn't be able to go to the zoo, amusement parks, etc, unless and until I could walk. They were not going to carry me "unless I broke my leg." I wanted to go to those places, so I learned PDQ how to walk and behave myself.
This gave me a chuckle....

When our son was little, he didn't want to be in a stroller - he wanted to push it.

When he was in 5th grade he broke his leg ski racing. Had a cast up to his hip. We took him to the zoo - he wasn't in a stroller, but he was in a wheel chair. He loved it. He probably would have opted for a stroller.....

I can honestly say I have not seen a child in a stroller at a grocery store and rarely in a Target or something. But I'll say, a 5 or 6 year old walking in the grocery store - pure torture.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:50 AM

466 posts, read 815,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Using a stroller for an older child depends a lot on circumstances. It is hardly likely to be an everyday thing for the same kid. Older children in situations where there is a lot of walking like the zoo or a park like Disney makes some sense depending on the child. Also, a child *may* have issues of low tone even if they do not look disabled. Someone else mentioned confining autistic children. We still use a stroller for this with my grandson to make sure he stays with us though he has gotten much better as he got older. You really have no knowledge of the reasons why a parent chooses to use a stroller.
Absolutely. When my coworker went to Disney three or four years ago, her youngest son was 5. He did not use a stroller normally, but they took their old one just in case. He was still napping regularly then, so the stroller proved to be handy. He could sleep, and they were able to stay in the park with the two older kids. Disney is too expensive to be running back and forth when a stroller solves a lot of those issues.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:52 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Haha - A mai tai is an alcoholic drink. A mei tai is a soft-structured baby carrier which can be worn on the front or the back. Now that my kids are bigger, I usually use it on my back. It's just like a piggy back ride, except they are tied onto you. It's what I use daily instead of a stroller. And at the zoo.
Where are these sold? I'd love to get one for my 10-month-old. She's too big for a front sling and it would be a great way for me to take her along when I snowshoe. I looked on a few kids gear web sites and couldn't find one. Thanks!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Mei tais are handmade - patterns and instructions here:

Baby Sling Pattern for Mei Tai Baby Carrier: Make a Baby Sling Similar to Traditional Asian-Style Ergo Carriers

How to Make a Mei Tai Baby Carrier | eHow.com

Target has some similar, but not the mei tai

Old 12-16-2010, 10:29 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
Mei tais are specialty products, not typically mass-produced (though Infantino does have a version). You can find them online or, sometimes at local shops if they sell other "crunchy" stuff (think, a store that would carry cloth diapers). We have a few such shops around here, but you will find a better selection online. There are tons of brands of mei tai with different specs like height, width, padding, angle of straps, etc. Different sized/shaped people prefer different types of specs. Popular brands include

BabyHawk
Kozy Carrier
Mei Tai Baby

If you go to TheBabyWearer.com, they have info and reviews on more brands than you want to know exist! Mei Tais are listed under Asian Inspired Carriers: TheBabyWearer.com Forums - Asian Inspired or Soft Structured Carriers

Old 12-16-2010, 04:11 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
Absolutely. When my coworker went to Disney three or four years ago, her youngest son was 5. He did not use a stroller normally, but they took their old one just in case. He was still napping regularly then, so the stroller proved to be handy. He could sleep, and they were able to stay in the park with the two older kids. Disney is too expensive to be running back and forth when a stroller solves a lot of those issues.
When we went to Disneyland, my kids were 5 & 7. We rented a stroller for the day for our "stuff" - everyone's jackets, dry clothing for after the wet rides, ds's Jedi costume, gift shop stuff, maps, drinks, etc. My ds was big for his age (7) but even he got really tired at the end of the day and we let the kids take turns riding in it on the way back to the hotel shuttle.

It was soooo worth it! This year, when we go to Universal Studios, the kids will be 8 & 11 - way too old for a stroller (ds is 5'3), but we'll still rent one. The convenience factor far outweighs other people's opinions, for me.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
It was soooo worth it! This year, when we go to Universal Studios, the kids will be 8 & 11 - way too old for a stroller (ds is 5'3), but we'll still rent one. The convenience factor far outweighs other people's opinions, for me.
If I worried about people's opinions at amusement parks I wouldn't be wearing those mouse ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting