Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 05:10 PM

970 posts, read 2,969,028 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if any parents can make sense of this trend, because I sure can't.

All kinds of people in this generation are obsessed with 'texting'. My two oldest boys, 13 and 16, are pretty big texters themselves.

That being said, I have yet to understand the purpose of it. I've tried it and, to me, it was very time-consuming and tedious. I could've called someone and finished a conversation by the time it took me to type an single thought on the phone. Not to mention, it's also very dangerous - its been said texting while driving is just as bad as drunk driving.

Call me old-fashioned; When I was growing up, we didn't have ringtones, or keyboard phones, and the whole concept of sending text through phones probably wasn't even dreamed up yet.

Would anyone care to explain the appeal of 'texting', and what makes it so much better than a phone call?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 05:18 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,860,339 times
Yeah I'm not huge on texting. I will write my hubby a quick note or text a phone number to the kids if they need it or something like that but yeah for me it's faster to call, talk, and be done with it.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:26 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Well I text all the time and its much easier than calling. Its fast too...well for me it is.
I hate calling people because then I can only talk to one person vs texting I can talk to a bunch of friends at once.
And texting and texting and driving are two very different subjects....

Old 12-19-2010, 05:33 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
My daughter can't use her phone during school, so texting is convenient if she has to ask or tell me something. Like txtqueen, she likes to text more than one friend at a time.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:38 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,141 times
My 11-year-old texts more than she talks on the phone. In fact, it's her primary method of communicating with her friends. We have unlimited texting so it doesn't cost us anything beyond the regular phone bill.

It seems to be a trend. Today we went to a diner for breakfast after church. We were seated next to a couple and their teenage son. The couple were talking to each other, but the teen was constantly texting. Every few seconds I'd hear that little melody that plays when you receive a text. I don't think he said one word to his parents during the hour or so we were there.

Despite having a snazzy new phone, I'm very slow at texting. I use it to communicate with my youngest sister who prefers it to talking on the phone and I'll text my husband when I'm covering a really boring town council meeting for the local paper, but that's about the extent of it.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Whatever their reason for texting, it's an excellent way for parents to keep tabs on what their children are up to.

I know a parent who discovered her teen was dealing drugs via looking at text messages.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:25 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Just wondering if any parents can make sense of this trend, because I sure can't.

All kinds of people in this generation are obsessed with 'texting'. My two oldest boys, 13 and 16, are pretty big texters themselves.

That being said, I have yet to understand the purpose of it. I've tried it and, to me, it was very time-consuming and tedious. I could've called someone and finished a conversation by the time it took me to type an single thought on the phone. Not to mention, it's also very dangerous - its been said texting while driving is just as bad as drunk driving.

Call me old-fashioned; When I was growing up, we didn't have ringtones, or keyboard phones, and the whole concept of sending text through phones probably wasn't even dreamed up yet.

Would anyone care to explain the appeal of 'texting', and what makes it so much better than a phone call?
Personally, I prefer to text than talk on the phone. And I am 55! The reason being, when you are talking on the phone it has 100 percent of your attention. You really cannot do anything else while talking to someone. If you are texting, you can carry a conversation on while doing a million other things. Even texting to two or three people at the same time. If you are in the middle of a conversation and someone comes to the door you can put the phone down and pick it up in a few minutes. If you have to feed the dog, or clean up the cat puke, or take a pee, or finish making a sandwich, you can do it between texts and nobody is the wiser. It is a much more convenient way to communicate, IMHO.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-19-2010, 07:27 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Personally, I prefer to text than talk on the phone. And I am 55! The reason being, when you are talking on the phone it has 100 percent of your attention. You really cannot do anything else while talking to someone. If you are texting, you can carry a conversation on while doing a million other things. Even texting to two or three people at the same time. If you are in the middle of a conversation and someone comes to the door you can put the phone down and pick it up in a few minutes. If you have to feed the dog, or clean up the cat puke, or take a pee, or finish making a sandwich, you can do it between texts and nobody is the wiser. It is a much more convenient way to communicate, IMHO.

20yrsinBranson
Don't you feel like interacting with another person is WORTH 100% of your attention?

Old 12-19-2010, 07:37 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,774 times
There are times that I'll text a picture to someone and we just don't want a huge conversation (i.e. my sister/mom/dad/etc....) but they'll say "nice picture." Or something. Or if you are in a crowded noisy place where a phone call is useless, texting is great.

There was one time that I we had a plumber coming to the house and instead of interrupting the meeting I was in to take a phone call, I could text my husband to see what the status was (I told the person leading the meeting that this would happen).

Old 12-19-2010, 07:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Texting is useful in small doses to convey short messages---like, "I'm here." For anything longer, texting takes longer than talking.

What takes 15 minutes of texting back and forth can be accomplished in 2 minutes talking.

It's annoying when I have to deal with people who prefer texting.

I'm too busy to sit on one place and text someone. I have places to go and things to do.

To those who prefer texting, do you really think your friends and relatives want to sit in their car waiting to leave a parking lot because you want to text?

Just pick up the phone!

If you dont' have anything serious enough to actually talk about, get over yourself and text someone else who isnt' as busy as you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting