Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 12:24 AM

852 posts, read 1,365,566 times

Advertisements

One tip that has always helped me lose weight is that whenever I want to eat, I tell myself that I have to put the food on a plate and sit down. Many times, I start to do it, and I realize that I'm not even hungry. I'm a picker. I can eat many, many calories without paying attention. Also, in order to lose weight from just exercising, you have to do at least 6-8 hours of cardio per week.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:38 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I meant more of a variety of nuts.

I think I am going to sign up for Zumba it looks fun. Even though I know where my weight came from I am confused as to how it added up as I do a lot of walking. I would talk to school and back 2 or 3 times a day at one point and it's a mile! I think it was because I was running around eating junk between classes and staying up late and eating out. I think a lot was stress. Fashion school is stressful!
You need to get some variety in your workout. Our bodies become accustomed to a certain amount of activity. You may also need to bring up your heartrate & keep it at a certain rate for a set amount of minutes.

I've seen Zumba & it looks really fun!

Are there classes offered at the school you attend? Is there a weight room facility at the school you attend?

Another tip that I personally cannot stand: do not wear loose clothing. Wear clothing that is a little tight to keep you motivated

A simple, free way to get some variety is get some running into your walks. Walk 1 min, run 90 secs. & repeat that for at least 20 mins.

I googled "why is it so hard to lose 10 pounds compared to 100" & this is the first thing that came up (due to time constraints, don't have much time to really research it), but I've always heard how the last pounds are the hardest for a reason.

Why It's So Hard to Lose Those Last 10 Pounds

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-16-2011 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" only, per the Terms of Service

Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 AM

53 posts, read 56,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Still dance around your apartment to music. It's free. You don't need to schedule it into your life. You don't need to take a train to it. And it's fun too!
Vigorous dance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes
Eating junk food is the #1 way to gain weight.
Eating late, especially foods with high caloric content is the number one way.

A friend's grandmother was having trouble keeping on pounds. Her doctor recommended that she eat a bowl of ice cream at night a little bit before bed. She was pretty proud of herself for gaining and keeping the weight on and ate ice cream every night. He had said the calories at night stay with you because food digestion is very slow during sleep.

Fast food, in moderation, doesn't bother us one bit unless we eat it in the evening then settle in to watch TV or go to bed.

If you've noticed, the later you eat, the hungrier you are in the morning. If you go to bed a little hungry, you aren't as hungry in the morning and eat less the next day.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakija9311 View Post
Eating late, especially foods with high caloric content is the number one way.

A friend's grandmother was having trouble keeping on pounds. Her doctor recommended that she eat a bowl of ice cream at night a little bit before bed. She was pretty proud of herself for gaining and keeping the weight on and ate ice cream every night. He had said the calories at night stay with you because food digestion is very slow during sleep.

Fast food, in moderation, doesn't bother us one bit unless we eat it in the evening then settle in to watch TV or go to bed.
Eating late is a big factor. When I said junk food, I meant snacking on food from vending machines all day instead of eating meals. If you skip breakfast and lunch at school and keep getting junk from the vending machine between classes, you consume more calories than if you ate a healthy breakfast and lunch because the junk food is empty calories and you're hungry again quicker because there's no protein. She can enjoy that cupcake at work once a week if she's not eating junk throughout the week.

Quote:
If you've noticed, the later you eat, the hungrier you are in the morning.
I've noticed if I eat on schedule, I'm hungry like clockwork at the proper meal times. Whenever I've been in the hospital for a few days after surgery, my body gets on a great eating schedule because the hospital food comes on schedule. I'm rarely hungry between meals after getting out of the hospital until I end up getting my meals off schedule and then I get huntry between meals.

Quote:
If you go to bed a little hungry, you aren't as hungry in the morning and eat less the next day.
I can't fall asleep hungry. If I am hungry, I'll get up and have a cracker, a piece of cheese, OR a small glass of milk. Nothing big, just something little to give my stomach something to do for 30 minutes it takes for me to fall asleep.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:21 AM

53 posts, read 56,853 times
That's funny. I toss and turn all night long if I eat too close to bedtime, and wake up famished. My kids do as well. We make a rule to not eat after 6:30 pm or so, and do fine. As time passes, we end up having a snack or a sandwich or something later and everybody's grumpy because no one sleepw well.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:32 AM

I guess everyone's different. The most important thing we agree upon is not to eat a meal or a huge snack within approximately four hours before bedtime.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:34 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Speaking of music, I have to share the fun we had tonight.

Hubby and I just got back from a four hour trip picking up the kids at the ski resort.

There was a radio station that was playing all 70s music with no commercials. It was a great mix of music. Many of the songs weren't songs we typcially hear on the radio these days.

We had a BLAST singing the entire time, dancing in our car seats, guessing the artists, talking about concerts we had attended.

It was so much fun, I felt sort of sad when we got closer to home. I would have stayed in that car with my family for another 5 hours!

All of this reminds me of something else that's always been on my mind. I sure HOPE they play rock-n-roll at the old folks home when I'm an old lady!

I seriously worry about this! I pray they won't be playing easy listening music!

I have good reason to worry too! Have you noticed that old ladies today look like old ladies looked when we were kids?

Same hairstyles! Same types of clothes! Why?!?!?! Why does every generation morph into their grandparents? Why can't the elderly embrace their generation in some unique way?

Why are all old lady clothes the same generation after generation?

I'm not saying that the elderly shouldn't dress their age, but why can't there be STYLE to show individuality?!?!?!

And that short, permed hairstyle? WHY???

I'm frightened, ladies!
Hopes! I have often wondered the same thing. Perhaps in our Golden Years, you and I could open a nursing home (sorry, I mean assisted living erm, residence) where you can blast raucous tunes and perms and shapeless clothes - and housecoats - are not allowed, and the only easy listening music played is a little yacht rock. We could arrange for Tom Petty to be wheeled out every now and then to do a set for us.

Maybe Dew can think up an appropriately hip (replaced or not) name for our venture.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Hopes! I have often wondered the same thing. Perhaps in our Golden Years, you and I could open a nursing home (sorry, I mean assisted living erm, residence) where you can blast raucous tunes and perms and shapeless clothes - and housecoats - are not allowed, and the only easy listening music played is a little yacht rock. We could arrange for Tom Petty to be wheeled out every now and then to do a set for us.

Maybe Dew can think up an appropriately hip (replaced or not) name for our venture.
I think we should do it! We'd make a fortune!

Screw golf resort retirement communities. We need retirement communites with music themes, like how Disney has different themes for hotels.

We could create communities with different themes all over the country.

Why don't they exist already? People who were teenagers in the 60s are in their 60s and early 70s now.

I'm only in my mid-40s. I was a teenager in the late 70s. But I worry about what retirement places will be like if I live to be old enough.

Even today, I still dance and sing to music I love. When I'm old, I would still enjoy tapping my hand or foot to the music I love even if I'm too feable to dance.

I really get INTO music. You should see me driving the car! I probably look like a stoner!

Old 01-16-2011, 09:27 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
You should see me driving the car!
<picturing Hopes rockin out to Bohemian Rhapsody like the scene in Wayne's World>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzUU7SRRsGo

Old 01-16-2011, 09:32 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I meant more of a variety of nuts.

I think I am going to sign up for Zumba it looks fun. Even though I know where my weight came from I am confused as to how it added up as I do a lot of walking. I would talk to school and back 2 or 3 times a day at one point and it's a mile! I think it was because I was running around eating junk between classes and staying up late and eating out. I think a lot was stress. Fashion school is stressful!
Zumba is a blast!! I have been doing it for two years now.

I myself am struggling with weight. Most of my whole life I never weighed more than 115lbs, actually, up until age 22 I only weighed 98lbs (4' 11") Well, I got pregnant and weighed 174lbs!! Found out I am hypothyroid and having trouble losing weight

After my son it took 2 yrs before I even lost one single lb. After struggling, I found Insanity DVD and finally started to lose weight. I lost 10lbs within 3 weeks. Went away for the weekend so didn't workout. Came back and waited 3 more days to work out (not sure why) but by end of week had gained 10lbs back and 2 additional lbs! I REALLY have to watch my diet and make sure I exercise.

Now I am back up 10lbs I lost and overall would like to lose 27lbs. I hate it. I can never figure out meals to make because I need to lose weight, but my husband has to gain weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting