Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:41 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,937,260 times

Advertisements

I pay a woman to watch my kids in her home now and I do not pay unemployment, ss taxes, etc. She does provide her SS# for my dependent care FSA paperwork, but the new forms recently don't even ask for that anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 03:37 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,075,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
The purpose of this post was for mothers/daycare workers to share information on self feeding guidelines in daycares. I appreciate all your input so far.

I was not asking the question- should I work? Not taking opinions on that.
I hope that wasn't in response to the person you telling you that no one will take care of your child the way that you will. He or she is right and it has nothing to do with whether you choose to work or not.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-19-2011 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comment

Old 01-19-2011, 06:55 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,375,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
I agree. As badly as it may suck, if you change daycares now, chances are you'll find something wrong with the other and spend the greater part of your life finding what you deem adequate care. No one will do it like you want it done - you're the mom so of course you're overly picky. In this instance, you must choose your battles wisely. If they are going against codes and regulations, then yes you should report it. However, I sensed some snottiness in your post (about the worker who was texting/talking.)
Bottle propping is a really stupid, dangerous thing to do. This isn't a small issue.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 PM

603 posts, read 2,342,997 times
I would switch daycare centers. That said, there are many high quality centers that are staffed with qualified teachers. I would look for a NAEYC accredited facility. These facilities have to pass standards that are higher than state regulations. When my daughter was 18 months old (and had just been diagnosed with food allergies), I discovered that they just wouldn't feed her if she was allergic to what was being served. She had been fussing about going to daycare for weeks, and she was always starving when she got home. I immediately found a center that promised me she would be fed with a substitute when they served something she couldn't eat. She stayed in that facility until kindergarten. Trust your instincts. If your gut says to switch, switch.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:20 AM

53 posts, read 57,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Maybe you can give them a prescription from your doctor to not let the baby lay and feed. Have it in writing so they cannot ignore it.
I would seriously doubt the professionalism of any doctor who would write such a prescription.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I do know this: nobody else will ever do for your child exactly what, and in the same way, you would. No matter what they say or how much you pay them. It's just a fact of life.

There are some things you need to fight for and there are some things you have to accept when you let others care for your child. Only you can decide what you are comfortable with.
This is so very true.

Some mothers cringe at the way their husbands take care of their own children. A LOT of young mothers can't stand the way their own mothers or mothers in law take care of their children.

Strangers? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTwesten View Post
It is not their decision to allow her to "assert her independence." She is a five month old infant, they ARE NOT independent. My daughter also showed signs of holding her own bottle at that age, but I never once allowed her to remain unattended while being fed.

Currently my seven month old is still trying to hold her bottle on her own (I'm actually thinking of getting those bottles with the side handles that look like sippy cups with nipples!) but I still have her sit on my lap and hold it with her. I have been around infants and children since I was 12 (I'm 23 now) and at one time or another it was upwards of 5 kids when I was 17. It was a ball of a time, and I thank god they were all well behaved. But if your day care is saying they need to specifically "time manage" they should perhaps consider hiring more man power.
First two bolded, key is YOU and your own daughter, not in a daycare environment.

Third bold, hiring more 'manpower' = raising prices. Parents already struggle to afford childcare.

My suggestion: Find someone willing to come into your home and care for your baby.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:38 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,375,748 times
Since bottle propping is not recommended by most respected medical establishments, it shouldn't be done. Period. There really is NO reason for a daycare to bottle prop. They have a *very* low caregiver/baby ratio and babies are *much* less work than older children.

Doctors write prescriptions for all sorts of things. I really wouldn't care if a daycare work doubted the professionalism of my child's pediatrician. The point is that the daycare is compelled to follow medical orders.

Bottle propping should not be done and should not be just accepted. It's dangerous and it's extremely bad for developing babies to go without human contact during feedings.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:35 PM

53 posts, read 57,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Since bottle propping is not recommended by most respected medical establishments, it shouldn't be done. Period. There really is NO reason for a daycare to bottle prop. They have a *very* low caregiver/baby ratio and babies are *much* less work than older children.

Doctors write prescriptions for all sorts of things. I really wouldn't care if a daycare work doubted the professionalism of my child's pediatrician. The point is that the daycare is compelled to follow medical orders.

Bottle propping should not be done and should not be just accepted. It's dangerous and it's extremely bad for developing babies to go without human contact during feedings.
All just your opinion.

Lots of babies have grown up into healthy, happy adults after having their bottles propped.

No self respecting, professional pediatrician would write an order to not prop a bottle.

If the personal preference of the OP is to not have her child's bottle propped, she should find a different care giver, but it IS a personal preference, not a medical issue.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:18 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,937,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakija9311 View Post
All just your opinion.

Lots of babies have grown up into healthy, happy adults after having their bottles propped.

No self respecting, professional pediatrician would write an order to not prop a bottle.

If the personal preference of the OP is to not have her child's bottle propped, she should find a different care giver, but it IS a personal preference, not a medical issue.
Bottle propping is not a medical issue? It is a choking hazard. Also, it is associated with more ear infections. Medical organizations say to avoid bottle propping for these reasons.

According to Caring for Our Children – National Health and Safety Performance Standards: Guidelines for Out-Of-Home Child Care Programs, by the American Academy of Pediatrics, American Public Health Association, and US Department of Health and Human Services, No bottle propping is one of the 7 infant feeding standards. To quote:

When bottle feeding, caregivers shall either hold infants or feed them sitting up. Infants who are unable to sit shall always be held for bottle feeding.
The facility shall not permit infants to have bottles in the crib or to carry bottles with them either during the day or at night.

A caregiver shall not bottle feed more than one infant at a time.

RATIONALE: The manner in which food is given to infants is conducive to the development of sound eating habits for life. Caregivers should promote proper oral hygiene and feeding practices including proper use of the bottle for all infants and toddlers. Bottle propping can cause choking and aspiration and may contribute to long-term health issues, including ear infections (otitis media), orthodontic problems, speech disorders, and psychological problems.

link: Caring for our Children: Chapter 4 - Nutrition and Food Service (http://nrckids.org/CFOC/HTMLVersion/Chapter_4.html#1022586 - broken link)

Medical issue, not mere personal preference.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:41 PM

13,611 posts, read 10,027,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Bottle propping is not a medical issue? It is a choking hazard. Also, it is associated with more ear infections. Medical organizations say to avoid bottle propping for these reasons.

According to Caring for Our Children – National Health and Safety Performance Standards: Guidelines for Out-Of-Home Child Care Programs, by the American Academy of Pediatrics, American Public Health Association, and US Department of Health and Human Services, No bottle propping is one of the 7 infant feeding standards. To quote:

When bottle feeding, caregivers shall either hold infants or feed them sitting up. Infants who are unable to sit shall always be held for bottle feeding.
The facility shall not permit infants to have bottles in the crib or to carry bottles with them either during the day or at night.

RATIONALE: The manner in which food is given to infants is conducive to the development of sound eating habits for life. Caregivers should promote proper oral hygiene and feeding practices including proper use of the bottle for all infants and toddlers. Bottle propping can cause choking and aspiration and may contribute to long-term health issues, including ear infections (otitis media), orthodontic problems, speech disorders, and psychological problems.

link: Caring for our Children: Chapter 4 - Nutrition and Food Service (http://nrckids.org/CFOC/HTMLVersion/Chapter_4.html#1022586 - broken link)

And - cannot stress this enough, but it can cause sweetened liquid to pool in the baby's mouth, which is a major contributing factor to Early Childhood Caries, a horrible disease causing rapid decay of the baby teeth.

Not all babies will get it, but don't take the chance. It's not worth it.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:46 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,075,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post

Kudos to you! I always appreciate it when people on these boards take the extra step to support their argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting