Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,815 times

Advertisements

I used on of the pack & plays when my 14 year old was a baby. I used to take the kids to the beach to play and it was wonderful for keeping the baby in the shade and out of the sand. We never used it at home, as I've always owned plenty of gates and have almost always owned an expandable baby yard. The nice thing about the pack & plays is it's ability to be put into it's carrying case. I'd search thrift stores and consignment shops first though. We bought our daughter's at a garage sale for $7...in mint condition! Honestly, if you already have a crib, you may not want to spend the money for a brand new one. It is nice though, when daughter moved out for awhile and took the crib, we kept the playpen here at the house. It was great when she came over. We didn't need to keep a crib set up here, and the playpen folded up to nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 12:42 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
OK, dumb question....are playpens called something different now? I was looking online for a used one and can't find any. I am just wondering how much they would go for, I would think most parents want to get rid of it after their child has outgrown it. Thanks.
I consider a pack n play & playpen the same thing.
My friends & I share pack n plays & cosleepers...might look into that option.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I consider a pack n play & playpen the same thing.
They're not the same thing.

Pack n Plays are smaller. They are rectangular and have an otpional/adjustable height mattress to morph into a small portable crib.

Playpens are much larger. They are square and don't morph into cribs.

Playpens are not very popular anymore. There's a limited selection compared to Pack n Plays when buying new. As a result, it is more difficult to find used ones.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:41 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
I think a pack and play is the same thing as a crib and they are the same thing as a play pen. They all contain a child and (hopefully) stop them from getting out.

Everyone I know used or uses a pack and play for their child.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:10 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
We used pack and plays with our kids, although it was used more as a crib and changing station than anything else. Every once in a while we did use it as a "play pen" because sometimes you just need to take care of something and need to leave the baby somewhere safe. I think the reduction in the popularity of play pens has a lot to do with the versatility that a pack and play offers. With most of them you get a crib, "play pen" and a changing table all in one and it's portable to boot.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
I never tried to keep my children contained in anything. I simply blocked off the bathrooms and kitchen with gates. They had free run of the rest of my baby-proofed house.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:23 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I never tried to keep my children contained in anything. I simply blocked off the bathrooms and kitchen with gates. They had free run of the rest of my baby-proofed house.
I didn't mean to imply it was an all the time thing, just nice to know you could put them somewhere and were generally guaranteed they weren't going anywhere. We are talking kids under 1, at least in my case. If anything the pack and play was used for naps and trips or as a changing table. I agree with not "penning" your kids in, but sometimes it can come in handy.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:37 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,256 times
The pack n play is really useful if you take a baby to the beach. Keeps them out of the sand and sun and safely contained when there aren't a lot of places to put her down. That's about all the use we ever got out of ours, besides as a changing table, or a place to nap when traveling.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:38 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They're not the same thing.

Pack n Plays are smaller. They are rectangular and have an otpional/adjustable height mattress to morph into a small portable crib.

Playpens are much larger. They are square and don't morph into cribs.

Playpens are not very popular anymore. There's a limited selection compared to Pack n Plays when buying new. As a result, it is more difficult to find used ones.
I know; pics of myself in a playpen at picnics & so on in the 70s. Wooden from what I can recall.
Haven't seen one in mainstream distribution ever.
Have heard the 2 terms though & just assume now that most visually see a pack n play.

Not sure I would buy a used "playpen" when using it technically.

Sometimes reading these threads I think what a good idea it would be to have a rental equipment store for baby items. I know I paid around $150 for a new pack n play. #1 & #2 would have nothing to do w/ it but #3 loves it.

As for the OP & as has been mentioned, pack n play is the item but if specifically looking for a playpen, that will be a challenge.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
We used ours for the older child - when baby wanted to get into all his toys, he could climb into the playpen and use crayons or small cars or legos and she could not get at them.

We also had an expanding wooden enclosure we could use in our unfenced yard to keep the kids from wandering and keep the dogs away from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting