Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:19 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

i don't think anybody learns a language thinking the states are going to be taken over by that country. Was I pushed in high school to learns how to speak French because we thought the French were Coming? non
I took it so I could learn how to say "Voulez vous couchez avec moi, se soir"

Learning to speak a non native language helps develop our brains tremendously. Especially in children. Actually any learning is only beneficial. And yes to be a full participant in finance, politics, business, anything,

it can only be an asset to speak more than one language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 01:25 PM

Also any university of value will require high school graduates to HAVE TAKEN a certain number of years of a foreign language. That is a far cry from being able to SPEAK that language.

I too advocate putting Latin back in our schools. It might be a dead language but knowing Latin can enhance anybody's understanding of many languages, not just English.

And don't even get me started on spelling. I'm very frustrated kids aren't having spelling tests anymore and encouraged to use hit or miss spelling. After all, we won't have spell check available to us throughout life.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:28 PM

And regarding usefullness of breasts as we get older. I depend on mine a great deal----as knee warmers

Old 01-14-2011, 01:30 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,647,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Like I said, my extent is 你好

学 Isn't that Japanese for Dream?
My Google translator (that's right, I don't know one lick of Chinese lol) says it means 'science'.

Btw, what I said earlier translates to: My hovercraft is full of eel. Grandma put your chocolate goat in the bathtub. Learned? China has never said it is not easy.

hehehe

Old 01-14-2011, 02:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Also any university of value will require high school graduates to HAVE TAKEN a certain number of years of a foreign language. That is a far cry from being able to SPEAK that language.

I too advocate putting Latin back in our schools. It might be a dead language but knowing Latin can enhance anybody's understanding of many languages, not just English.
My son loved Latin!

It's hard for schools to find Latin teachers though. His went on maternity leave and the district hired a Russian who was teaching Latin with a heavy Russian accent.

The students could understand her. I don't even think she had teaching certification. The district said there was a shortage of Latin teachers.

The stuents had to suffer until maternity leave was over.

Anyone who wants to get into education but thinks they can't get a high paying job without a math or science degree should consider studying Latin.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:19 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,933,822 times
Speaking or understanding more then own language can have nice consequences.

I speak English of course...Hungarian my first language...understand some Japanese...bit of Korean and dabbleing in Spanish learning the upper class of words that when used by me bring a strange look on some peoples faces. They see a Gringo using words they never speak.

In Walmart a Hispanic family were blocking the isle and I asked them in polite Spanish..."with your permission I would like to get by". They moved aside like dividing the waters.

Being in So Calif there are many Hispanics that do not know or care who may understand what they are saying.

Chinese would be a challenge for me but do not have any exposure to any of them at this moment...oh well if I were younger might take a stab at learning. Knowledge is wonderfull.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:35 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Some places do say they require is but as i said often it's waived depending on factors or they allow you to take it in school.
Some places might, but none of the highly respected schools will. Heck, the entire University of California and Cal State systems require 2 years of a language (3 is recommended).

http://www.lbschools.net/Main_Office...quirements.pdf

If you don't have it, you can't attend there. Your post says you're from Maryland--it's the same there.

University of Maryland-College Park: Admissions Information, SAT, ACT, Admission Requirements - College Toolkit

There are ZERO exceptions in the UC system today. I know a classmate who had taken 3 years of language (one Spanish, one French, one German) and was declared ineligible to apply despite having 3 years--because they were not the same language. This was in 2004, so it's not a brand new thing. She ended up having to attend the local junior college first, and was then able to transfer (after taking 2 semesters of college Spanish).

Old 01-14-2011, 03:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I know a classmate who had taken 3 years of language (one Spanish, one French, one German) and was declared ineligible to apply despite having 3 years--because they were not the same language. This was in 2004, so it's not a brand new thing. She ended up having to attend the local junior college first, and was then able to transfer (after taking 2 semesters of college Spanish).
My neice ran into that problem. She had 4 years of language: 2 years of French and 2 years of Spanish. She was a top applicant in all other ways----great GPA, high SAT scores, etc. Paganmomma is in for a rude awakening when her children are applying to college if she doesn't think they need to study foreign language in high school. Only top applicants can have it waived (with the understanding it will be taken once in college) these days and it's not "often" as Paganmomma believes. Fortunately Paganmomma's child/children is/are young. She has time to rethink this before her children are entering in high school. Then again, maybe she doesn't care if they end up at community college.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:02 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
My Google translator (that's right, I don't know one lick of Chinese lol) says it means 'science'.

Btw, what I said earlier translates to: My hovercraft is full of eel. Grandma put your chocolate goat in the bathtub. Learned? China has never said it is not easy.

hehehe
My bad Dream looks like this 夢 kinda sorta similar.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:55 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post

hehehe
Where is "My hovercraft is full of eel" from? I used to quote that, but now I can't remember why.

I could google it, I 'spose, but where's the fun in that when I could just ask you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting