Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 02:59 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times

Advertisements

supposedly there's a 9 month old in Long Island that has measles that was at a mall in Long Island yesterday. guess it had traveled outside of the country.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:22 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
supposedly there's a 9 month old in Long Island that has measles that was at a mall in Long Island yesterday. guess it had traveled outside of the country.

Your guess appears to be correct:

NY health officials: baby had measles - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/AP174f66c975da4f45a25b68597dbce3d2.html - broken link)

MMR is started at 12 months.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Your guess appears to be correct:

NY health officials: baby had measles - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/AP174f66c975da4f45a25b68597dbce3d2.html - broken link)

MMR is started at 12 months.
oh well, no big deal right? keep avoiding those vaccines people! lol

Old 02-04-2011, 03:00 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
oh well, no big deal right? keep avoiding those vaccines people! lol
The 9 month old caught the measles while travelling internationally, not from an unvaccinated child in the US.

On a side note. I googled "measles, 9 month old" and the first story that popped up was of twins in India who died within minutes of receiving a measles vaccine.

It's not so black and white.

Last edited by Dorthy; 02-04-2011 at 03:27 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
The 9 month old caught the measles while travelling internationally, not from an unvaccinated child in the US.

On a side note. I googled "measles, 9 month old" and the first story that popped up was of twins in India who died within minutes of receiving a measles vaccine.

It's not so black and white.
i just googled the same. is this what the first result was?

9 Month Old Twins Die Minutes After MEASLES Vaccination

because the first 5 results for me had to do with the LI case.

then there was the above, then this

Measles vaccine kills 9-month-old twin sisters in Ghaziabad

i tried googling more specific searches to see what ever happened with it, and all i found was blogs that spoke about it happening. sorry, i'm not taking this as convincing story against vaccines.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
i just googled the same. is this what the first result was?

9 Month Old Twins Die Minutes After MEASLES Vaccination

because the first 5 results for me had to do with the LI case.

then there was the above, then this

Measles vaccine kills 9-month-old twin sisters in Ghaziabad

i tried googling more specific searches to see what ever happened with it, and all i found was blogs that spoke about it happening. sorry, i'm not taking this as convincing story against vaccines.
You don't have to take the twins deaths seriously. I'm just saying that I found it ironic that when googling to see what you were referring to, I found this story first. (not a blog!)

Twins die minutes after measles vaccination

Who would you blame for the 9 month old contracting measles? The parents who chose to take their child who was too young for the MMR vaccine on an international trip? That was a risk the parents chose to make. The case was not due people choosing to forgo vaccinations so I'm not sure how it relates to this thread in anyway.

BTW, you do realize that measles outbreaks can even occur in populations where 100% of people have been vaccinated:
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000359.htm
Quote:
This outbreak demonstrates that transmission of measles can occur within a school population with a documented immunization level of 100%.

Last edited by Dorthy; 02-04-2011 at 05:30 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Measles vaccine is known to be 95% effective, so it is hardly shocking that there were some measles cases in a 100% vaccinated population.

Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) Vaccine and Immunization Information

This is also a very old report (1984) about an epidemic that occurred before two doses of MMR were required.

From the link itself:

If waning immunity is not a problem, this outbreak suggests that measles transmission can occur within the 2%-10% of expected vaccine failures (5,7). However, transmission was not sustained beyond 36 days in this outbreak, and community spread was principally among unvaccinated preschool children. The infrequent occurrence of measles among highly vaccinated persons suggests that this outbreak may have resulted from chance clustering of otherwise randomly distributed vaccine failures in the community.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
You don't have to take the twins deaths seriously. I'm just saying that I found it ironic that when googling to see what you were referring to, I found this story first. (not a blog!)

Twins die minutes after measles vaccination
I am skeptical of this report because I can find no follow-up report and I find it implausible that two infants would die from a vaccine. It makes me wonder, since the doctor fled, if there was a mistake made by the doctor, possibly giving some product other than a vaccine.

Quote:
Who would you blame for the 9 month old contracting measles? The parents who chose to take their child who was too young for the MMR vaccine on an international trip? That was a risk the parents chose to make. The case was not due people choosing to forgo vaccinations so I'm not sure how it relates to this thread in anyway.
It relates to this thread insofar as anything that increases vaccination rates benefits us all. The infant who caught the disease most likely got it from someone who was not vaccinated. It would be interesting to know which countries the child visited and what their vaccination rates are and whether the rates in those countries dropped because of Wakefield's scam.

Quote:
BTW, you do realize that measles outbreaks can even occur in populations where 100% of people have been vaccinated:
Measles Outbreak among Vaccinated High School Students -- Illinois
You quoted this sentence from the above link:

"This outbreak demonstrates that transmission of measles can occur within a school population with a documented immunization level of 100%."

If you read further, it goes on to say:

"If waning immunity is not a problem, this outbreak suggests that measles transmission can occur within the 2%-10% of expected vaccine failures (5,7). However, transmission was not sustained beyond 36 days in this outbreak, and community spread was principally among unvaccinated preschool children. The infrequent occurrence of measles among highly vaccinated persons suggests that this outbreak may have resulted from chance clustering of otherwise randomly distributed vaccine failures in the community. That measles transmission can occur among vaccine failures makes it even more important to ensure persons are adequately vaccinated. Had there been a substantial number of unvaccinated or inadequately vaccinated students in the high school and the community, transmission in Sangamon County probably would have been sustained."

By the way, this report is from 1984. The index case was not identified.

See here for a more recent study:

Secondary failure rates of measles vaccines: a met... [Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1996] - PubMed result

In a group of US children vaccinated with a US vaccine after age 12 months, there were no failures in 2031 kids.

And from the UK:

Measles vaccine: a 27-year follow-up. [Epidemiol Infect. 1994] - PubMed result

Protection appears to last up to 27 years.

No vaccine is going to be 100% effective, but they come pretty close, especially if we vaccinate as many people as possible.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It would be interesting to know which countries the child visited
According to one news report the baby travelled to Europe, Southeast Asia and The Middle East.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
According to one news report the baby travelled to Europe, Southeast Asia and The Middle East.
Wow, that kid's already seen more of the world than I have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting