Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,359,124 times

Advertisements

If I were you, I would keep your reservation for Chuck-E-Cheese, but think about other options for next year. Even kids can get sick of Chuck-E-Cheese. When my oldest turned four, she was really into hand puppets, and wanted a "puppet show". We found a lady who did them at parties, for about half of what CEC would have cost. We put on the invitations that there would be a puppet show, and it was such a novelty after all the CEC, that more kids came than we expected. She set up the theater in the living room, the kids sat enthralled for the show while I set up the cake and ice cream in the dining room, and it was surprisingly stress and mess free. After the show, she let the kids come up and put on their own show, trying out the puppets. They had a great time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 09:19 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,927,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakija9311 View Post
??

My opinion: Kids are saturated with their parents' need to keep up with the Joneses. No 4 year old needs a birthday party with 20+ kids tow. No child needs a birthday party every year.
I don't see bd parties at CEC as keeping up with the Jones. It's usually pretty cheap, cheaper than having the party at home (and easier).

The reason parents invite the whole class is that the kids are young and it is hard to know who the child plays with at that young an age. As they get older the parents get to know the friends and parties get smaller.

No child NEEDS a birthday party ever. But they are fun for little kids. As the kids get older they usually want smaller or no parties. My kids loved all the parties when they were little.

OP-I would just keep the party on the same day. Some will be able to make it others won't. But that will happen no matter when you schedule it.

Have fun. That's what having little ones is all about-fun.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:25 AM

356 posts, read 917,520 times
Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I kept the date the same and handed out the invitations today. Thanks for all the comments supporting this decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakija9311 View Post
??

My opinion: Kids are saturated with their parents' need to keep up with the Joneses. No 4 year old needs a birthday party with 20+ kids tow. No child needs a birthday party every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't see bd parties at CEC as keeping up with the Jones. It's usually pretty cheap, cheaper than having the party at home (and easier).

I don't expect 20 kids to attend, I have yet to attend a preschool party where the whole class actually attends.

This is definitely not trying to keep up with the Jones. Just trying to do something nice for my kid. Also, a little bit trying to keep things fair between him and his sister. We had preschool parties outside our home for her 3,4, and 5th birthdays. Due to changes in our social life caused by moving, our son has only had birthday celebrations with the family so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post

It's good planning to host a big party outside of your home as you don't have to worry about cleaning up or having parents forget to pick up their kids after the festivities.

I agree - we actually had to talk him into having it at Chuck-E-Cheese. His first request was to have it at home - like the last 2 parties he attended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
... I can even see several saying they'll come, and then not show up because the kids are too tired after going to the morning party.
Hadn't thought of this. Thanks for mentioning it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
If I were you, I would keep your reservation for Chuck-E-Cheese, but think about other options for next year. Even kids can get sick of Chuck-E-Cheese.
Yeah - I actually already decided that this is the last CEC party I will throw. For DD's last birthday, we took our 2 kids and 1 of her friends to CEC on a weeknight but paid for a 4 kid b-day party so that she could have the special B-day stuff (esp. the ticketblaster)... Once each, that's enough.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:30 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,752,103 times
I don't know what things are like in your area but where I live most kids won't attend a party at 11am on a Sunday because they are in church. You may actually find more kids come to yours because they can't go to the morning one.

Personally speaking I was petrified that someone would send out invitations to a party on the same day as my daughter's 7th birthday which was last week. It was her first big party and I would have been heartbroken if her classmates had had to choose. And on the flipside if she had been invited to two parties on the same day the rule would have been that she attend the first one to invite, which is what I had to do as a child.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:31 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,946,150 times
My kids went to a preschool, private and 3 days a week at the age of 4. I held their parties on Tuesdays during the day at that point - and everyone showed up every time. It wasn't until he was in real school (kindergarten and up) that the 'no shows' started.

Don't count on 'no shows'.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:01 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,428,803 times
Since moving to MA and enrolling my son into preschool, we have already had 3 birthday parties to attend out of the 7 kids in his class. They have all been on Sundays starting around 11-1130 and they have always had a LOT of kids show up.

OP- I hope his party goes well. My son turns 4 in June and I am trying to decide if I want to do a party at home or at another location (not CEC though- I despise that place)

Old 01-29-2011, 12:07 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,930,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
I don't know what things are like in your area but where I live most kids won't attend a party at 11am on a Sunday because they are in church. You may actually find more kids come to yours because they can't go to the morning one.
^I agree with this.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:19 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,575,901 times
We have purposefully avoided Sunday parties for our kids as they both have close friends who are Mormon, and they would not attend. Sunday afternoon is popular here, although we are smack-dab in the middle of the Bible-Belt, most will attend in the pm.

A few years ago we decided to scale back the parties considerably, and one goody-bag item (they can end up costing more than anything else). What is interesting is my kids and the attendees enjoy those parties much more it would seem. Parties at the pool, playground or home are well attended. Last year for my daughters 7th we held a tea-party at home. The girls dressed up in their finery, and we served them juice in tea cups, tiny sandwiches, and petits-fours. They stayed in character all afternoon. They had a blast.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:24 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,752,103 times
The tea party sounds awesome for next year for mine, thanks!

Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 AM

356 posts, read 917,520 times
Just wanted to update – that the party was yesterday and everything went well. I had no regrets about keeping it on our originally scheduled date.

Of the 10 boys invited to both parties, 6 (including both birthday boys) went to both and the other 4 went to neither. I had one family that declined our invitation initially and then later decided to come to both parties. The mom said she did not realize the 2 parties were at different times due to poor communication with her ex. We also had 3 girls from the class and 2 neighborhood friends attend.

My son had a nap between parties and I think that made a world of difference. Some others may have napped also. I know at least 1 fell asleep in the car on the way to our party. I did not see anyone have a melt-down and all the parents seemed pretty relaxed when it was time to eat pizza and cake and the kids seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Thanks again to all for your feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting