Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:08 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfedup View Post
The backyard is fenced and this has helped as they used to circle my house on their bikes. I got really mad when this happened and went to all the kids parents houses. They still played in my yard, but at least I did not catch them in back after that and now they would need to climb the fence. A fence in the front yard can only be 4 feet high so I'm not sure this will help very much. I would also be the only one with a fenced front yard so it would look strange...
Well, the back fence worked, and even a 4 foot high front fence would work to display boundaries and keep the pooping dog out.

Are you worried about the fence working and solving your problem, or would you just rather continue to complain about it?

Who cares if your yard is the only one with a fence? Really? If it serves a purpose for you then so be it.

Calling the sheriff obviously isn't working. Have you applied for a handgun license yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 04:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Maybe go to the neighbor's house, and have the legal adults sign a hold-harmless, releasing you of any legal responsibility if their child gets hurt while trespassing on your property.

And THEN, put up a few bushes. Dig trenches on YOUR side of the bushes. And plant poison ivy in the trenches.

Yeah I'm the mean neighbor. You totally don't want to get on MY lawn.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:45 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
You have been given some good advice on how to protect yourself.

This may be a classic case of making the bed you sleep in. No, I am not suggesting that it is okay for your child to be hit on the head or for your family to be yelled at. However, you showed weakness with the shovel incident. Yelling at children going across your lawn only taught them to yell at you when they became fearless teenagers. That is how you scared them as children, now they are using it to scare you. You should take responsibility for yelling at them as children.

Talk to the parents in a calm but serious manner to see if you can resolves this without taking further steps. However, if you are getting the feeling that the more action you take against them, the more it escalates, you cannot ignore that feeling. You will have to take steps to protect yourself like those suggested already. You should not take steps attacking the neighbors. That doesn't work.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:24 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,955,563 times
I'm wondering if you can't take an entirely different approach to this problem. It seems you have a history in the neighborhood of being confrontational and they are having their fun getting back at you now they're older.

Maybe there's a honey vs vinegar solution. Is there anyway you can turn this around by behaving nicely to them, instead of always adversarilly? Can you buy them a basketball hoop for their own driveway, and present it as a gift, so they'll stop coming over and playing in yours? Something like that? Maybe make nice with the guardians, so they'll be on your side and not against you?

People are more likely to cooperate with your wishes if they have some respect for you as a good neighbor. Plus it will take all of the fun out of antagonizing you if you're pleasant to them all the time.

You can put up fences and call the sheriff and get restraining orders until the cows come home but that's not going to change the nasty vibe that exists between everybody. Maybe you should try the olive branch - can't hurt.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:29 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
This is very simple . Take a handgun class and then buy a gun and also install outside cameras so anything happens you have it on tape this covers you in case things go very bad . I wish you luck and hope things work out .

Old 03-01-2011, 09:33 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
This is very simple . Take a handgun class and then buy a gun and also install outside cameras so anything happens you have it on tape this covers you in case things go very bad . I wish you luck and hope things work out .
Really? A gun? A gun?? For a teenager being a brat??

Old 03-01-2011, 11:24 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Really? A gun? A gun?? For a teenager being a brat??
Yes, well phonelady is fond of spanking kids as well, so ya know, I think it's a generational thing.

I think finsterrufus has a good point.

OP it does sound like you've made your bed, now lie in it: offer an olive branch or build an armed fortress.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:42 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
There's a bunch of good advice here
1) Keep taking pictures
2) Keep calling the law and filing reports the more reports they have filed, the tougher the penalties! Two words....repeat offender!
3) Get a surveillance camera!
4) Get a tape recorder with an ultra-sensitive microphone. Make sure you let them know you're recording them...make sure the recorder is ON when you tell them. Although it MAY not be admissible in court, it will show the law what you're dealing with. Loud mouth, obnoxious brats don't care if you tell them you're recording...they can't stop themselves when they have something to say. LOL
No one does these kids any good by turning a deaf ear to their delinquent behavior. The next time they move, they could be living next to pi$$ed off people who own handguns and like to use them! Do yourself and THEM a favor...keep calling the law until the consequences outweigh the thrill!

Old 03-02-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Yes, well phonelady is fond of spanking kids as well, so ya know, I think it's a generational thing.

OP it does sound like you've made your bed, now lie in it: offer an olive branch or build an armed fortress.
You see I live in the real world not in the clouds . Teenage brats have been known to kill people .

Old 03-02-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post

Yeah that is really great attack someone personally cause you cannot think of anything else to say . Oh yeah the olive branch is really going to work LOL !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting