Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 01:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Things I have learned from the forum about raising teenagers:
- My child will tell me when they are going to have sex. So therefore:
- no need for sex ed
- My child will never drink alcohol, even though those around them are.
- My child will never try drugs even though their friends will.
- It's the school/teacher/other children's fault my child is not doing well at school.
- No peanuts. Ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
- every child is a bully who doesn't fart rainbows and adore your special snowflake as much as you
You guys are a trip. Why do we even try? Seriously.

Warn someone about what's really happening today and they say:

"That doesn't happen where I live"
"Not my children"
"I know these parents"
"These are good kids"
"We live in a good neighborhood"

They appear to be happier being blissfully unaware.

Whatever.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
My little sister had my mother totally fooled. When I read some of those people's posts about their adult children never doing anything, it reminds me of my parents. They had no idea what my sister was doing. She smiled and played the game with them. She had them wrapped around her pinky. Even when she became an adult, she never fessed up.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:17 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
My sister is my parenting icon. She has raised 3 teenagers so far, and they are great kids. One night we were sitting around late at night and her oldest (who is now in med school) came home from a party obviously a tad high. My sister took it in stride, acting as though nothing was untoward. We all sat about talking, and afterwards my sister had a long talk with my niece. Later when I asked her about it she said nothing would have been accomplished by overreacting and making a scene in front of everyone, except her daughter would not come straight home the next time, and there would be a lot of trust lost. Her daughter told her what she had taken, and that she was just experimenting, she didn't enjoy it, and she didn't do it again. I'm not sure that I would have responded that graciously, but it was a good lesson for me.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My little sister had my mother totally fooled. When I read some of those people's posts about their adult children never doing anything, it reminds me of my parents. They had no idea what my sister was doing. She smiled and played the game with them. She had them wrapped around her pinky. Even when she became an adult, she never fessed up.
That was me! That's the biggest reason I laugh when they say they know what their kids are doing. My mother had no idea, still doesn't. When I was in high school I dated this guy waaaay older than me for 2 years, and he was a bad, bad boy. My parents were clueless.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
"That doesn't happen where I live"
"Not my children"
"I know these parents"
"These are good kids"
"We live in a good neighborhood"
When my kids were growing up:

1) I know it happens here. I read the Los Angeles Times entertainment section.

2) My kids, the kids next door, and the kids at the bottom of the hill.

3) Yes. I do know those parents. You may not go over there to play.,

4) They're not good kids. He has a probation officer.

6) We live in a great neighborhood. Where all the other kids have too much time and too much money. You may not go over there to play. Invite everybody here where I can keep an eye on you.

The one big mistake I made: Letting them smile at the 90-year old man in Target.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:33 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,935 times
I'm so sad. I'm a huge Doctor Who fan. I have been since I was 8. I have been active in fandom for years. I had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know Elisabeth Sladen, who played Sarah Jane Smith. SHe is a very very close friend of my best friend in the UK. SHe died today, from cancer at 68. She was just about to start filming the 4th season of her show. I'm sad, Fandom is sad, but my friend must be devastated.

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 04-19-2011 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: because I can spell devastated

Old 04-19-2011, 01:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Sorry, Jenny. Very sad news.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My sister is my parenting icon. She has raised 3 teenagers so far, and they are great kids. One night we were sitting around late at night and her oldest (who is now in med school) came home from a party obviously a tad high. My sister took it in stride, acting as though nothing was untoward. We all sat about talking, and afterwards my sister had a long talk with my niece. Later when I asked her about it she said nothing would have been accomplished by overreacting and making a scene in front of everyone, except her daughter would not come straight home the next time, and there would be a lot of trust lost. Her daughter told her what she had taken, and that she was just experimenting, she didn't enjoy it, and she didn't do it again. I'm not sure that I would have responded that graciously, but it was a good lesson for me.
This was very much like me. I knew when my kids had done something wrong, we discussed it and moved on. Sometimes there were consequences, sometimes not. I am sure there are plenty of things I do not (nor do I want to) know but for the most part, I was kept in the loop.

Had I over-reacted I would not have been....that was something I could not live with. I have been accused of being their friend, doesn't bother me. They respected me, they adored me and most of all, they trusted me. If I didn't call in the National Guard and ground them for 6 months because they drank too much one night and some parent said I was a terrible mother I didn't care. Guess what sweetie? Your kid was more drunk and puked on my bathroom floor.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 PM

Sorry to hear that Jenny.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
This was very much like me. I knew when my kids had done something wrong, we discussed it and moved on. Sometimes there were consequences, sometimes not. I am sure there are plenty of things I do not (nor do I want to) know but for the most part, I was kept in the loop.

Had I over-reacted I would not have been....that was something I could not live with. I have been accused of being their friend, doesn't bother me. They respected me, they adored me and most of all, they trusted me. If I didn't call in the National Guard and ground them for 6 months because they drank too much one night and some parent said I was a terrible mother I didn't care. Guess what sweetie? Your kid was more drunk and puked on my bathroom floor.
Exactly. But I think there is a huge difference between a parent being called their kid's friend because they talk to them and know what's going on, and a parent being called their kid's friend because they buy them a keg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting