Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 10:09 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Thank you!
The other day TG and I went disc golfing and it started to rain and he mentioned something about heading back to the car and I was like what you don't like playing in a little rain? And it started to down pour and by the time we got back to the car we were literally soaked through and through, dripping wet, my shirt was soaked, my jeans were soaked, it was so bad when we were running back to the car my feet were sinking in the mud and my flip flops were covered in mud and I couldn't get back up this hill and I ended up covered in mud.

It's hilarious looking back on it.
The rain isn't always the problem... the lightening can be dangerous.

ETA jk...great minds and all that....

Old 07-11-2011, 10:56 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
lol! Well, it was my lovely son that dicked around with the wireless printing and caused that havoc!

Sometimes having overly techy people in this house can be a curse. I get confused by the number of wireless networks and what each one does. As far as watching internet streaming on the big tv...they actually have a computer dedicated to that tv. I think they built it - I'm not sure where some of these computers come from.
I second that! DH is like that, too....never get rid of a computer you can rebuild with spare parts and an esoteric operating system. Although, it comes in handy sometimes - he fixed the coffee-incident laptop and had a Frankenstein version on hand for me to use in the meantime.

FR: Yay, you! We just switched from Comcast to FiOs - I've had both good and bad experiences with Comcast over the years - hope yours err on the good side!

rkb: Ah, love the Little House on the Prairie books

txt: Thanks - hope you have a good day, too.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:54 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I second that! DH is like that, too....never get rid of a computer you can rebuild with spare parts and an esoteric operating system. Although, it comes in handy sometimes - he fixed the coffee-incident laptop and had a Frankenstein version on hand for me to use in the meantime.
Ahhh yes, spare parts, bins of wires and connectors.... omg - never suggest anyone go through that stuff because it seems to be like gold to them. It's amazing they can ever find what they are actually looking for. We have shells of computers in the garage. They have a "plan" for it all.... So I can definitely relate.

I'll admit the geeks come in handy though when something goes wrong.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:59 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
It will be a cold day you know where before I go back to Comcast. We had some really bad customer service a few years ago. I'm still holding a grudge. We have Qwest and DirecTV.

DS7 managed to fill both Leapsters with sand this morning.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 PM

Yikes rkb.....

We've had pretty good luck with Comcast. Over the years we've occasionally had poor customer service but when it's happened they've been good about rectifying it. For the most part it's been ok.

Went to go to Walmart today for a few things and just couldn't bring myself to go in. Went to Target instead. I generally prefer Target but they don't have much of a selection with groceries so I end up at Walmart. Trying to organize and go through paperwork. I love organization but I'm not good at following through with it. Every now and then it just has to be done. I know I'll feel better when it's over....

Old 07-11-2011, 01:21 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Ahhh yes, spare parts, bins of wires and connectors.... omg - never suggest anyone go through that stuff because it seems to be like gold to them. It's amazing they can ever find what they are actually looking for. We have shells of computers in the garage. They have a "plan" for it all.... So I can definitely relate.

I'll admit the geeks come in handy though when something goes wrong.
Haha - yes, yes, and never mind that by the time the "plan" takes shape, it would've been cheaper to just buy a brand new machine...

mm - good luck with your organizing! I feel your pain - think I'm going to be unpacking and setting us up in this house for the next year! Totally thankless until it's done and we can each admire our handiwork.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Anyone have a suggestion with what to do with fennel that will be out of this world? I found some recipes online, but thought I'd ask.

DS just texted me that we are getting fennel today as part of our CSA. I've never used it. Sigh...I'm getting a little tired of the summer food challenge. We are also getting raspberries though which is a nice surprise! Not sure what else. Hopefully nothing weird.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:30 PM

Boy...I don't know that I've ever even had fennel....I see recipes for roasting, braising, carmelizing etc....

Raspberries though - yummy! I love raspberries - except for the tiny seeds that always get stuck in my molars and are a real PITA to get out....

Hey jk- how is your DH? Feeling any better? I forgot to mention, if he doesn't already, that fiber, fiber and more fiber is a good thing. Nothing like mixing up a glass of Citrocel/Metamucil/Benefiber every morning to make you feel like you're getting old....but, it beats the alternative....

Old 07-11-2011, 01:44 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Oooh! Fennel is yummy. You can just roll it in olive oil and salt and bake it on a baking sheet until it gets tender, and then melt some cheese over the top if you like. Just cut off the fronds and the core at the bottom and slice it into fairly big pieces. Like an onion.

Here's a recipe from Epicurious that you reminded me I want to make, seems pretty straightforward, and it calls for white wine so you can have a sip while it cooks.

Fennel-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Fennel Wedges Recipe at Epicurious.com

mm - fennel is kind of aniseed tasting, with the texture of bok choy. Kinda. Really good in stuffing. It's what makes Italian sausage taste like Italian Sausage (well the seeds, anyway).

Old 07-11-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hey jk- how is your DH? Feeling any better? I forgot to mention, if he doesn't already, that fiber, fiber and more fiber is a good thing. Nothing like mixing up a glass of Citrocel/Metamucil/Benefiber every morning to make you feel like you're getting old....but, it beats the alternative....
He thinks it might be getting better. He's been eating just soup and pudding/jello and fruit - trying to stay away from meat for a few days. And he has been drinking a glass of Benefiber each day - doctor recommended it. So I don't know - guess we'll see if by Thursday once he's been on the antibiotics for a week, if he needs to go back. He said it doesn't hurt to the touch any more.

Seems like yesterday we were in our 20's. WTH happened!??? I blinked and we are falling apart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting