Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 06:03 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times

Advertisements

Good Morning All! Happy Monday!

I can see it on the news "A gang of senior citizens, who go by the name of CDMWR, have been causing havoc everywhere they go..."

Here's today's funny, it also had a large WTH component:

12 Great Parenting Products for Traumatizing Your Baby | Cracked.com

Old 08-29-2011, 06:56 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Morning folks! Thanks for all the welcome backs!

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm off to de-saturate the family room carpet (again), though still grateful that we were just inconvenienced and no one was injured and nothing major was damaged. Some of my NY folks were not so lucky, still waiting for full reports of the damage but my aunt's house was partially submerged yesterday. Thank god she was at a shelter for folks with medical problems in case of power outage.

Glad to hear other's loved ones are making ok, thus far. How you folks in flood prone areas and hurricane land deal with this all the time - well, my hat's off to you!

Old 08-29-2011, 06:59 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Morning folks! Thanks for all the welcome backs!

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm off to de-saturate the family room carpet (again), though still grateful that we were just inconvenienced and no one was injured and nothing major was damaged. Some of my NY folks were not so lucky, still waiting for full reports of the damage but my aunt's house was partially submerged yesterday. Thank god she was at a shelter for folks with medical problems in case of power outage.

Glad to hear other's loved ones are making ok, thus far. How you folks in flood prone areas and hurricane land deal with this all the time - well, my hat's off to you!
Morning Ewag!

What happened? Did you get water in the house?

Old 08-29-2011, 07:04 AM

Sorry Ewag! Getting rid of water sucks. We have been flooded too many times where we live now, no fun.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Morning Ewag!

What happened? Did you get water in the house?
Hey FR!! How'd you make out? Any damage/power loss/general unpleasantness??

Yeah, we got about 15" of rain in a few hours over night and it was too much for the sump pump in the crawl space to deal with (without power to keep it running). So the water backed up throughout the crawl space, into the first floor bathroom, the utility room, and part of the family room. Good news is that there wasn't too much damage to the things in the crawl space. I'm a little concerned about the family room carpet though, especially since we don't have much time to replace it (if needed) before the littlest Ewag arrives!!

Ah, well, better than it could be by a wide margin, so I can't really complain.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Sorry Ewag! Getting rid of water sucks. We have been flooded too many times where we live now, no fun.
Thanks, Zim - any helpful hints?? We're running a dehumidifier nonstop and I've been using the steam cleaner to suck up excess water from the carpet. We have a bunch of that Damp Rid stuff as well. Poor DH was under the house bailing out the sump pump by hand yesterday before the power came back on.

Oy vey, I'm sorry you've been through flooding a lot!! Significantly no fun!!

Old 08-29-2011, 07:09 AM

Ewag - we use a carpet shampooer to suck up as much water as possible, and then run a portable A/C in dehumidification mode. Works really well.

ETA - we posted at the same time.

It's all in the capacity of the dehumidifier. It's worth renting one or a portable A/C depending on the capacity of the one you have.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Ewag - we use a carpet shampooer to suck up as much water as possible, and then run a portable A/C in dehumidification mode. Works really well.
Awesome, ok, sounds like what we're doing. Thanks!!

How are you? Isn't there a birthday for an 11 yo coming up very soon??

ETA: Haha - jinx! Ok, good to know. Ours is just a little 50 gal one, so I'll definitely keep renting a stronger/higher capacity one in mind.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:17 AM

Ewag - all good this end thanks. We could use some of your rain though, we are entering critical lack of rain territory here.

Yes, DS turned 11 yesterday. A fun day was had by all.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:23 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Hey FR!! How'd you make out? Any damage/power loss/general unpleasantness??

Yeah, we got about 15" of rain in a few hours over night and it was too much for the sump pump in the crawl space to deal with (without power to keep it running). So the water backed up throughout the crawl space, into the first floor bathroom, the utility room, and part of the family room. Good news is that there wasn't too much damage to the things in the crawl space. I'm a little concerned about the family room carpet though, especially since we don't have much time to replace it (if needed) before the littlest Ewag arrives!!

Ah, well, better than it could be by a wide margin, so I can't really complain.
Wow! 15"! That's insane. We were OK. Our neighborhood is not flat, and none of the houses are on ground level. I was sleeping on the couch and we had MrFR and MissFR up in our bed because there's a huge Ginko Beloba tree outside MissFR's window - and we were worried it could fall and crash through the roof. The power went out for literally 2 minutes a 2:30am, I thought that that we would be out - but luckily it came back and stayed on. I was pretty nervous after the tornado warning.

So we were just fine. Listen, if you need to replace your carpet or anything else before TheLittlestEwag comes - let me know, MrFR can do any of those kind of things - we would be more than happy to help out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting