Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh that's great. Happy Happy to MsMMTheYounger.

How do you feel about the big 21?? I can't even fathom it yet. She sounds like a fabulous kid, you must be bursting.
21 sounds so grown up doesn't it? But she is really a great kid - yes, we're very proud. She's always been very independent so this is just one more step....it hasn't felt as weird as I feared....Then DS turns 18 this week.

Both my kids are growing up. That combination does feel weird...but they've been great and no actual trouble (drama yes, trouble no) so it does feel satisfying all the way around.

The hard part will be sending DS off to school next year. He's the youngest so I'm concerned I will feel at a loss with both of them out. Assuming of course, that DD is able to find a real job and is out and on her own instead of living back here with us. Even though DD has been gone (and I did get used to that) and DS is frequently out and about, he does come home (and is still my Costco buddy LOL). Just not sure I'm ready for no one to be coming home.....

Old 08-29-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Mine said "Neutral".

That's a standard test. I'd dispute the results were I still in grad school, lol. My favorite tests were the "sack" or "bag" or "tote" variety. Uh, oh. Getting all geeky.
Yes, it's a pretty vague test but it was fun to look at the words (most of which sound the same to me) and I'd have to think for a minute "well, how the heck ELSE would it be pronounced?"....and then ..."oh. well, yes, there is that way I guess..." Get geeky! It is very interesting!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Aw, Happy 21st to Miss MM!!

I am going to go have a 3yo level temper tantrum now. While washing all the towels we used to sop up water yesterday, my utility sink (where the washer drains) overflowed all over the utility room floor. And my mop broke. And I am still sucking water out of the effin carpet. I feel like I'm trying to empty the ocean with a thimble. Bah. I could use a visit from the "Fix It Fairy." Too bad I AM the Fix It Fairy.

My aunt and cousins are all ok - still 4 1/2 FEET of water on their street. The cousins have their boats out and are using them to navigate around to do repairs and get supplies, crazy loons that they are. Makes me feel silly for being annoyed with my own house. Then again, I believe they've been drinking heavily since Saturday, so maybe that helps!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Get geeky! It is very interesting!
I used to sit in language labs with earphones on listening to people take the long versions of the test. To this day I evesdrop on people who sound interesting or out-of-place. There are a lot of people from Minnesota here.

"Oh, yaaaaaaaaaaa!" Just like Marge in "Fargo". Cracks me up every time. Since I tend to mimic I'm starting to say it myself. DH is using the Canadian "Eh?" at the end of his sentences. (Lots of Canucks here too.)

Him: "So we're having tacos, eh?" Me: "Oh, Yaaaaaa."

Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Good morning all! Happy birthday to the birthday kids! T minus 4 days until the in-laws arrive. I can feel my blood pressure going up already. I'll be in the guest room/office cleaning it up if anyone needs me!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:35 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I am going to go have a 3yo level temper tantrum now. While washing all the towels we used to sop up water yesterday, my utility sink (where the washer drains) overflowed all over the utility room floor. And my mop broke. And I am still sucking water out of the effin carpet. I feel like I'm trying to empty the ocean with a thimble. Bah. I could use a visit from the "Fix It Fairy." Too bad I AM the Fix It Fairy.

My aunt and cousins are all ok - still 4 1/2 FEET of water on their street. The cousins have their boats out and are using them to navigate around to do repairs and get supplies, crazy loons that they are. Makes me feel silly for being annoyed with my own house. Then again, I believe they've been drinking heavily since Saturday, so maybe that helps!
Ewag, you have every right to a good tantrum! So sorry you're having to go through all that.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:37 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
go ahead and cry, ewag! Maybe it will make you feel better. Sorry about all that!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Him: "So we're having tacos, eh?" Me: "Oh, Yaaaaaa."
Hahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
T minus 4 days until the in-laws arrive. I can feel my blood pressure going up already. I'll be in the guest room/office cleaning it up if anyone needs me!
May the force be with you!!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Ewag, you have every right to a good tantrum! So sorry you're having to go through all that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
go ahead and cry, ewag! Maybe it will make you feel better. Sorry about all that!
Thanks, guys. I'm sorry I'm so whiny and crazy at the moment. I realize it's not nearly the end of the world. I had a nice sob fest this morning before DH went to work - poor man had the bemused "Oh god, not already with the mood swings" deer-in-headlights look on his face. At least he gets to go to SF for a few days this week.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 AM

So sorry Ewag....I'd be crying too....here, have some tissues....

Dew - we seem to have a good number of Minnesotans and Wisconsinites here too....Now, I grew up saying Wisconsin like "wis - con - sin"....after living in states near there, I noticed they tended to say "wi-scahn-sin"....

Love the Fargo reference....was flipping through the channels at some point over the summer and it was on...I was trying to explain to DS how a movie that was so disturbing in it's basis (and the fact that it was based on a real situation), could be entertaining/kinda funny etc. It just has this weird draw to it for some reason. And yes, the accents are a good part of it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting