Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 06:45 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Lol on the stubbed toe.

We actually have some slightly gusty winds here in GA. Dry as a bone though, unfortunately. Flooding is awful. I love some good rain, but only when the ground can handle it. We were out of town two years ago when this area got 20". It was a feeling of complete helplessness as family and friends sent pictures of the rising water.

Looks like DS and DIL didn't get much of anything in NC, thankfully.
In 2004, during all of the hurricanes criss-crossing the state, my family from across the state all evacuated to our houses for one of the storms coming in right at their town (about 40 relatives). While they were here, they were reporting that there was 24" of rain that fell in under 2 hours. This was after months of rain and 2 other hurricanes in that month. My grandma lives on a canal. We were all watching the water rise and feeling that helplessness. We were watching people wading out of their houses and seeing gators swimming by them. It was horrible.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:46 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Hey all... Just checking in.

I can't believe MrDew has never been to the dollar store. I had to ban MrFR from going after he spent $75 there.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Hey FR! Thanks for checking in...I was just thinking about you....how goes it?

Old 08-27-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hey FR! Thanks for checking in...I was just thinking about you....how goes it?
Hey mm - going good so far. We have a lot of rain and it's a bit breezy, but we're a long way off from the bad part. This thing is humungous. Not taking it lightly.

How's it on your end, Ewag?

Old 08-27-2011, 06:52 PM

So, I got most of the stuff out of DD's room today. Yes, it took almost a full day just to get everything out. Now it is time to sort. When I was taking it out, I realized how much I actually wanted to keep and the fact that there is no good storage in her room, so I went online and found a free bookshelf on freecycle. I went and picked it up. I will be using a bunch of baskets we have to slide into the shelves for more organization. It is a 7' high bookshelf and it MIGHT hold her arts and crafts supplies. I am hoping that even her pottery wheel will fit there.

Tomorrow will be another long day of sorting and organizing. I am going to be brutal about the toss and give away piles too. It is sad that she couldn't play with anything because she couldn't get to it. Hopefully this will help.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:55 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Hey mm - going good so far. We have a lot of rain and it's a bit breezy, but we're a long way off from the bad part. This thing is humungous. Not taking it lightly.

How's it on your end, Ewag?
Ah, so glad you checked in - been worried about you!

We're okey-doke as well - beginning to get slightly concerned with the very large tree in our back yard, since the ground is already pretty saturated and the power lines run through the tree, but other than that just wet and breezy.

Haha re: $75 at the dollar store - I had to ban Mr Ewag from Walgreens for similar reasons a few years back.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:57 PM

One more hurricane tip. If you lose power, unplug anything not on a surge protector. That includes appliances. During our hurricanes here, we had the power surging through our house occasionally. We had 3 surge protectors actually blow up. Saved the stuff plugged into them, but one of them actually shattered.

No matter how amazing it may look outside, do NOT go out for even a minute if you can help it. Even if it seems to calm for a minute, you don't know when the next big gust will come.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Ah, so glad you checked in - been worried about you!

We're okey-doke as well - beginning to get slightly concerned with the very large tree in our back yard, since the ground is already pretty saturated and the power lines run through the tree, but other than that just wet and breezy.

Haha re: $75 at the dollar store - I had to ban Mr Ewag from Walgreens for similar reasons a few years back.
Glad you guys are ok.

DH is also banned from Walgreens.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:59 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Ha...you guys got off easy... Mr. Mm is not allowed to visit the Humane Society. Ever.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Ha...you guys got off easy... Mr. Mm is not allowed to visit the Humane Society. Ever.
Ha! One dog and three cats later, NONE of the FinsterRufuses are allowed to visit the Humane Society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting