Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 AM

13,596 posts, read 10,015,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So sorry Ewag....I'd be crying too....here, have some tissues....

Dew - we seem to have a good number of Minnesotans and Wisconsinites here too....Now, I grew up saying Wisconsin like "wis - con - sin"....after living in states near there, I noticed they tended to say "wi-scahn-sin"....

Love the Fargo reference....was flipping through the channels at some point over the summer and it was on...I was trying to explain to DS how a movie that was so disturbing in it's basis (and the fact that it was based on a real situation), could be entertaining/kinda funny etc. It just has this weird draw to it for some reason. And yes, the accents are a good part of it....
Fargo is absolutely one of my favorite movies of all time. It's total genius. The music is awesome, too.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,923,767 times
Quote:

Dew - we seem to have a good number of Minnesotans and Wisconsinites here too....Now, I grew up saying Wisconsin like "wis - con - sin"....after living in states near there, I noticed they tended to say "wi-scahn-sin"....

Love the Fargo reference....was flipping through the channels at some point over the summer and it was on...I was trying to explain to DS how a movie that was so disturbing in it's basis (and the fact that it was based on a real situation), could be entertaining/kinda funny etc. It just has this weird draw to it for some reason. And yes, the accents are a good part of it....
LOL- also, bayg/flayg and bubbler instead of drinking fountains. Whenever we're traveling and ask if there's a "bubbler" anywhere, there are definitely are few strange looks!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 AM

Happy birthday MissMM!

How does it feel having a 21 year old? I can't imagine!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,251,013 times
Quote:

Dew - we seem to have a good number of Minnesotans and Wisconsinites here too....Now, I grew up saying Wisconsin like "wis - con - sin"....after living in states near there, I noticed they tended to say "wi-scahn-sin".....
We now have a Wisconsin-based fast food chain called Culvers. They get all the Wi-scahn-sin-ites. I've actually told DH to pipe down so I can hear them talk. Thankfully, he understands my little "hobby".

Ewag: I've cleaned up a flooded basement. (My grandmother's farm in Michigan.) It's hard work. Go ahead and have a good cry! Here, I'll join you:

Hang in there! Big hug.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,251,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Whenever we're traveling and ask if there's a "bubbler" anywhere, there are definitely are few strange looks!
Ooohhhh. That's enough to make me do the linguistics happy dance.

Drinking fountain, spigot, tap, bubbler............

Fin: What are they in OZ?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:59 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,967,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
LOL- also, bayg/flayg and bubbler instead of drinking fountains. Whenever we're traveling and ask if there's a "bubbler" anywhere, there are definitely are few strange looks!
We call shopping carts buggies - in the south everything is coke - where I grew up - soda.

I took the test and it said Western. Growing up in Nebraska, I consider myself to have no accent. Rumor always was that back in the day, call centers were in Nebraska because of the lack of accent.

Living in Texas for a few years, I'll admit to a few Texas words....I've been known to say y'all without thinking

I've never seen Fargo....

Old 08-29-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
We now have a Wisconsin-based fast food chain called Culvers. They get all the Wi-scahn-sin-ites. I've actually told DH to pipe down so I can hear them talk. Thankfully, he understands my little "hobby".

Ewag: I've cleaned up a flooded basement. (My grandmother's farm in Michigan.) It's hard work. Go ahead and have a good cry! Here, I'll join you:

Hang in there! Big hug.
Hahaha Our soccer club hosted a tournament with teams from all over the country... loved the little Southern accents on so many of the kids! I never knew kids could have such thick accents. I vaguely recall a little girl saying "I ain't scurrrrred a snakes" It was cute- I, too, love hearing different accents.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:05 AM

Oh, Ewag! My thoughts are with you. Wet basements are no fun. When stuff like that happens, I sit in my car, roll up all the windows and scream... yes sounds silly but man, it actually feels really good on the rare occasion I need to do it. Hang in there...

Old 08-29-2011, 10:05 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,507,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
We call shopping carts buggies - in the south everything is coke - where I grew up - soda.

I took the test and it said Western. Growing up in Nebraska, I consider myself to have no accent. Rumor always was that back in the day, call centers were in Nebraska because of the lack of accent.

Living in Texas for a few years, I'll admit to a few Texas words....I've been known to say y'all without thinking

I've never seen Fargo....

You'll have to watch it. It's very weird. I never know whether to say I "like" it...it's more that I can't help but watch it if it's on....I can't "not" watch it...it's the weirdest combination of disturbing and funny...(actually, kind of like Dexter is a weird combination of disturbing and touching and funny)....

Old 08-29-2011, 10:53 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,590,913 times
Fargo is just brilliant. You know you shouldn't laugh, but can't help yourself.

MJ would have been 53 today, tormented brilliant cluster of a bloke.

Michael Jackson - Black Or White - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting