Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:22 PM

8 posts, read 10,567 times

Advertisements

Kohlberg's theory of moral development states that people evolve through 3 levels of moral development. The first stage is conventional role conformity, where moral thinking is ruled by punishments and rewards. The second level is role conformity, where morality is guided by external social expectations and authority figures. The third stage is self accepted moral principles, where people begin to act according to the common good, regardless if it conflicts with established rules and values. If this is true, are we teaching our kids to be less moral through rewarding good behavior (as in if one gets good grades they can get a good job which will provide them with material goods) and enforcing punitive policies for bad behavior (such as zero tolerance policies for kids who are caught at school with drugs)? Could we be raising our kids in a society which enforces policies that stunt teenagers' moral development? Are we not teaching them to think about right versus wrong, and to develop their own internalized values?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 04:28 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
You are assuming that the only reason to reward good behavior and punish poor behavior is to teach. Of course, teaching/learning is desirable but a child who brings drugs to school (to use your example) is not punished only so that he can learn that school is not the appropriate venue for drugs, it is also about managing a large group of people in a controlled environment that needs to be safe for all who are there.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:51 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
It's paper writing time I guess? I get tired of this..well tired argument that society is going down the tubes, and we're all so immoral, etc. I quick look at the lives of the Roman emperors (Caligula springs to mind) and a few other people through the ages remind us that there have always been immoral people, and no doubt always will be.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It's paper writing time I guess? I get tired of this..well tired argument that society is going down the tubes, and we're all so immoral, etc. I quick look at the lives of the Roman emperors (Caligula springs to mind) and a few other people through the ages remind us that there have always been immoral people, and no doubt always will be.
Midterms you know....

Old 03-21-2011, 05:03 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,791,241 times
The parents are less moral, for sure. It's not the teenagers; it's the parents.....IMO.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:59 AM

4 posts, read 6,008 times
regardless of time or purpose, this is a viable question. For my thoughts yes we are not teaching our children some very important principles because we are caught up with trying to survive and maintain financial support for the families we have, thus the support factor takes precedence over education.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:21 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
Depends on who you talk to. Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, St. Augustine, Descartes, Leibniz, Kant, Hegel and Nietzsche all had interesting perspectives governing right and wrong, morality and the general human existence. I would suggest starting with Socrates, man did he have a lot to say about "corrupting youth", and work your way up to Nietzsche. After all of that, you might be able to develop your own thought process and answer the question.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:24 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docg07 View Post
regardless of time or purpose, this is a viable question. For my thoughts yes we are not teaching our children some very important principles because we are caught up with trying to survive and maintain financial support for the families we have, thus the support factor takes precedence over education.
I think this quote puts the pressures into perspective:

Quote:
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain.

~ John Adams

Old 03-22-2011, 12:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
After all of that, you might be able to develop your own thought process and answer the question.
Which leads us to the question of how moral it is to rely on anonymous posters on the internet to help you write papers. If that is, indeed what is happening here. (Not that I'm not always up for a good discussion, but this is the type of question that would have sent me into the library for days to do my own reading and contemplation never to be seen except for periodic trips to the john and Taco Bell.)

Would it be moral to gleem some tidbit of wisdom from C-D and claim it as your own? Or are today's teenagers of such high moral quality that they credit ZimboChick in their footnotes?

Old 03-22-2011, 12:58 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Or are today's teenagers of such high moral quality that they credit ZimboChick in their footnotes?
I should hope so. After all I don't charge very much, and I am famous in my own mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting