Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:55 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times

Advertisements

I know a few parents here have kids who have iPods or MP3 players or whatever.
And I guess this is a do you pay for it or do you make your kid earn kind of question?

But for those who have kids who have those devices are you for or against free downloading and if you are against free downloading do you pay for your child's music or do you have them earn it out of allowance?

:Reason for asking this question: My brother fell on his iPod the other day while biking at the skatepark, shattered his screen and it won't even turn on, he's getting a new one in a few days but for the meantime I told him to put all his music on his Blackberry, it has the same storage as an iPod and everything and he told me most his music wouldn't transfer over because he bought a lot of stuff off of iTunes. No doubt my mom footed all that but I was surprised he paid for it all because you can get the same stuff for free off of FrostWire, which is what I use. I have THOUSANDS of songs and never would have been and still wouldn't be able to afford buying songs all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 03:32 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,772,246 times
My kids are too young, but in future, I would pay for their music devices for Christmas/ birthday (or they may get it from a grandparent), and similar with the music, they may get a CD/ MP3 voucher as a present for a smaller event (say, a good grade or winning a sports tournament or whatever). I wouldn't just buy them music without a reason, unless it was an educational MP3. That is what an allowance is for.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:04 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
And I guess this is a do you pay for it or do you make your kid earn kind of question?

But for those who have kids who have those devices are you for or against free downloading and if you are against free downloading do you pay for your child's music or do you have them earn it out of allowance?

:Reason for asking this question: My brother fell on his iPod the other day while biking at the skatepark, shattered his screen and it won't even turn on, he's getting a new one in a few days but for the meantime I told him to put all his music on his Blackberry, it has the same storage as an iPod and everything and he told me most his music wouldn't transfer over because he bought a lot of stuff off of iTunes. No doubt my mom footed all that but I was surprised he paid for it all because you can get the same stuff for free off of FrostWire, which is what I use. I have THOUSANDS of songs and never would have been and still wouldn't be able to afford buying songs all the time.
Getting music for free is stealing. My kids buy their music. They get Itunes gift cards from people, they earn some of their own money, and sometimes I buy the music for them. I prefer to buy my own music from Amazon because the format is MP3 and it will play on anything.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:22 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,115 times
Quote:

People who want to be police officers shouldn't steal. What you are doing is breaking the law.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:41 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,858 times
I have no problem buying my daughter music off of itunes. She always asks first. She's a big help w/ the chores and pets around here, so I don't mind letting her download a few songs.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:56 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Downloading music free from the internet is illegal. I will not encourage my children to steal from others.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Just to ward of the "But!!" that you all know is coming:

Downloading SOME music off the internet for free, is legal. Certain ones are authorized for free download by their legal owners, through authorized websites. However, Frostwire does not make any attempt to control whether the files it shares are legal or not. Bitorrents just don't work that way.

If you're downloading files through any bitorrent, you are supporting piracy. Even if the songs you happen to have on your iPod are the legal ones, you're still getting them from a web host that allows piracy, and piracy is a federal crime, with actual victims The people who created the music, the producers, the sound engineers, the managers, these people all get paid dependent on how much they earn from sales. If no one is buying and everyone is downloading free, they don't get paid. So you are stealing from the people who have created this music you enjoy.

Even if it isn't enforceable (and it is - several recording artists and companies have taken people to court and filed criminal charges and *won* over this already)...it's still corrupt and people who do it support the corruption.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:27 AM

473 posts, read 715,069 times
we buy it- taught our kids to buy it. we have one account, all music, apps, etc. go through and i get the receipts. biggest reason is so that i know what they are listening to. just like anything else, if you dont have oversite on your kids, you shouldnt be surprised when they turn into people you dont know.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:27 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,093,380 times
Quote:

Your brother was being neglectful its not your moms responsibility.
He wants one let him earn the money to pay for it??
We need to teach our kids responsibilities as parents.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:10 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Does he not have the music on a computer somewhere? All the music we BUY from itunes is on our computers. I just update my ipod from that.

To answer your question - my DS buys some music, I buy music - the thing is, we all listen to the same stuff. So we all share it.

We've been to a concert before where the artist asked who had their album, then asked who actually PAID for their album. Then commented on all the you-know-whats who steal their music.

If you don't think what you are doing is stealing, you have a warped sense of right and wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting