Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:02 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Am i a parent? no. I'm only 24

I know a lil. I interned @ priority records 2 yrs ago.
you know.... this seemes to me to a 'promotional post' in order to

A- ramp up views of the video

B- to inflame the drama behind the artist

Both of these are promotional ploys to increase the value of the group which generates income for the big-fat producers.

This post is about cha-ching, not parenting.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:09 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
you know.... this seemes to me to a 'promotional post' in order to

A- ramp up views of the video

B- to inflame the drama behind the artist

Both of these are promotional ploys to increase the value of the group which generates income for the big-fat producers.

This post is about cha-ching, not parenting.
LOL

You can't be serious. I don't give 2 ****s about them. They're not making me any money.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:10 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Yeah the more this OP divulges about him/herself and the more youtubes he/she links on the thread, the more I'm convinced this is just another public-relations scam to get people to click on the youtubes, to push the view-count up.

I wish I could UNclick the 15 seconds that I actually watched. I refuse to click on the second video. The first video doesn't deserve the attention it's already gotten.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:12 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
You're thinking tooo far into this lol.

Question, Tell me what part of sending your kid to another country to let other people deal with him is "Being a good parent" I'm just curious.
I'm not thinking toooo far into this, merely postulating a far more plausible scenario than the one put forward. Like you said "a good parent" doesn't ship their kid off to Samoa without a good reason. Hearing a mixtape is not a good reason.

However, if he is from the family that DewDropInn referenced, that could also explain a lot. If his grandfather is the poet laureate of South Africa and his mother is an accomplished writer/professor, it makes a lot of sense why they would want to nip this in the bud. Mom may have entertained his interest in rap for awhile until it started to turn into more than interest. At that point she may have tried to put an end to it and in the ensuing fall out went for the boarding school option.

However, I still tend to think there is more going on here than just his rapping. If that is the family, they would have a lot of connections to send him to a lot of places that aren't Samoan boot camps and accomplished the same thing. It seems to me like something happened to suddenly cause this to happen. Again, mom had to know what he was doing.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:18 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Contrary to popular belief, words do have actual meanings. If the words are unimportant, why are they being used? They are conveying SPECIFIC meanings . . . not random gibberish . . . so they are important. Kids, or anyone, who listen to lyrics about rape and popping pills would tend to then think about rape and popping pills, it's not rocket science. If they want to think about higher level stuff, then the words of the songs should reflect higher level stuff.

Why can't positive messages be conveyed with rap or hip-hop music? Why does it always have to be about drugs, violence, and the denigration of females?

Old 04-14-2011, 02:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
I figured this was about publicity from the start but the original question of "what would you do" is interesting.

The OP says he interned at Priority Records. Which was founded by K-tel which is legendary for being able to sell anything to anybody. "It's the Veg-O-Matic! It slices! It dices!" And Priority made a bloomin' mint off singing raisins. So maybe he picked up a few things in the sales offices.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:23 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Contrary to popular belief, words do have actual meanings. If the words are unimportant, why are they being used? They are conveying SPECIFIC meanings . . . not random gibberish . . . so they are important. Kids, or anyone, who listen to lyrics about rape and popping pills would tend to then think about rape and popping pills, it's not rocket science. If they want to think about higher level stuff, then the words of the songs should reflect higher level stuff.

Why can't positive messages be conveyed with rap or hip-hop music? Why does it always have to be about drugs, violence, and the denigration of females?
Im not sure if the underlined was a joke or you meant it seriously? There are thousands of rap and hip hop songs that convey positive messages.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:23 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
Quote:
LOL

You can't be serious. I don't give 2 ****s about them. They're not making me any money.
not making any money YET. In the grand scheme of things, the 10 months until he is 18 is a good amount of time to stir the pot so that when he is an adult and able to make his own choices, all those video watchers will be ready to pay up for a listen.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:30 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
not making any money YET. In the grand scheme of things, the 10 months until he is 18 is a good amount of time to stir the pot so that when he is an adult and able to make his own choices, all those video watchers will be ready to pay up for a listen.
Stir up what pot? He's already popular. His videos have 1 million + views. They don't need 20 extra views from folks on city-data. I'm from NY. I'm not connected to these kids. I met tyler once and we spoke a lil. That's about it.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:32 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,552 times
IDK I just dont see his career going very far but hey I could be wrong I didnt like Lil Wayne at first either and look where hes at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting