Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:35 PM

10 posts, read 15,696 times

Advertisements

was considered cruel, even in today's backwards society. Was at my friends house and their kids are so spoiled.The kids said to their mother "Im not eating that, no I dont want that".. She ran around like a chicken with her head cutoff trying to get them to eat. My freind then tells them "go to your room , you'll eat nothing".. The wife then turns on the husband(my friend) and says that he is cruel for saying that and that the children will grow out of it. His kids are 12 and 9 by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 01:36 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
When I grew up it was eat it or wear it!!

Old 05-04-2011, 01:43 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
My kids don't have to eat anything they don't like. I don't make them something special either but I can't see why you would force kids to eat food they don't like. There is nothing that special about any one food that you need to make it a matter of life or death.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:48 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
I don't know what it was in my house growing up. I would have never dared even speaking to my parents like that to find out. There were things we didn't like but the rule was we had to take a certain number of bites at least - usually 3 bites. Then we could eat other things that were being served. That's pretty much how I do it to. It really hasn't been a huge issue. You don't have to love every food but you must take a bite or two (tastes develop and change over time) and you must be polite. Rudeness to someone who has taken the time to prepare and serve you dinner, would not be tolerated. Fortunately, it has never come up.

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-04-2011 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-04-2011, 02:00 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,687,064 times
When I was growing up, if I said I did not like something, I was forced to eat a heaping plate full of whatever it was. My kids do have to at least taste everything that is put in front of them for a meal. I also usually give them an option to eat for example 3 out of 4 choices that are on the plate. I would not want to be forced to eat something I don't like, and therefore would never force my kids to eat something. On the other hand, I am not a short order cook. So, we deal with picky eater issues somewhere in the middle.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Rules in our house were pretty reasonable regarding suppertime. Mom knew that my sister and I had our "pickishness" about certain types of foods. She -usually- wouldn't make certain things that she knew we would barf if we had to smell it on our plate.

But once in awhile she'd include it in the meal because *she* liked it, or dad liked it. Or I did and my sister didn't, or whatever else.

So we could just not eat that particular item. We were still expected to sit down for supper, and eat some of everything else that she made for us. If we couldn't handle that, then we wouldn't be eating that night. "This is what I"m serving. If you want something else, get a job and buy a meal at the diner."

I always thought it was pretty reasonable.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
No one was forced to eat anything in our home. Nor was anyone sent to their room for not eating. However, I must admit to catering to the "picky" eaters, and our food became pretty plain, meat, potatoes, no casseroles, no sauces, just plain ole' food. But, if you still did not like it, you could have a bowl of cereal.

Once the kids hit age 12, I had the kids cook a meal each night, for everyone.

Teens are too much! One becomes a vegan, another wants only protein, and protein shakes, another one wants Mexican food, another one has "diet of the week"...who could keep up with it all?!

None of my kids is thin, or on the verge of starvation. No bulimia, or anorexia, or eating disorders..thank goodness.

I had a severe issue with my Mother, who felt like anyone weighing over 115 was a pig. She is still that way. And tried to put her food values on my children. She won't eat when she goes over 115, just drinks coffee. That is her value. Not mine, or my children. She is openly rude to overwieght people. She thinks that being overwieght is a personality flaw.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:20 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
My daughter is 9 and the rule is you eat what I make or you don't eat, period. I'm not a short order cook, so if you don't like it, tuff. BTW I don't make her eat things I know she doesn't like. Missing a meal isn't going to kill anyone and maybe they'd learn. Also, I let her know to eat only unil her tummy is full, she doesn't have to clean her plate.

Last edited by lauramc27; 05-04-2011 at 02:28 PM..

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
I'm very much against the "finish what's on your plate" mentality that was oh so common not that long ago. I really do think it contributes to obesity.

However, I do think kids should be made to try things a set number of times before they can determine they don't like it. After that, it is what it is. My wife and I don't cook things we know our kids hate just to make them eat it. My son is a very picky eater, so we do cater to him a bit by always having something that he will eat as part of the meal.

Of course, he is also perfectly happy with a bowl of Special K, so we do allow him to decide to eat something else if he wants to. However, we won't do something like order him a meal if everyone is eating something we made or cook him an entirely different meal just to make him happy.

I think parents need to figure out if their kids are refusing something because they don't like it, or if it's a power game. I see no point in making them eat something they don't like it. Afterall would you and your wife make and choke down a steaming pile of Brussel Sprouts if you both hated them? Probably not. If it becomes a power game where they are refusing simply because they want something else, than I am all for laying down the law and saying this, or nothing.

10 posts, read 15,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
No one was forced to eat anything in our home. Nor was anyone sent to their room for not eating. However, I must admit to catering to the "picky" eaters, and our food became pretty plain, meat, potatoes, no casseroles, no sauces, just plain ole' food. But, if you still did not like it, you could have a bowl of cereal.

Once the kids hit age 12, I had the kids cook a meal each night, for everyone.

Teens are too much! One becomes a vegan, another wants only protein, and protein shakes, another one wants Mexican food, another one has "diet of the week"...who could keep up with it all?!

None of my kids is thin, or on the verge of starvation. No bulimia, or anorexia, or eating disorders..thank goodness.

I had a severe issue with my Mother, who felt like anyone weighing over 115 was a pig. She is still that way. And tried to put her food values on my children. She won't eat when she goes over 115, just drinks coffee. That is her value. Not mine, or my children. She is openly rude to overwieght people. She thinks that being overwieght is a personality flaw.

I admire your mothers discipline for keeping her weight the way it is. Her delivery may not be the best, but at least she is aware of her weight and is disciplined to keep it that way. In a country were obesity is a problem, she should be commended for her desire to keep her target weight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting