Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:22 PM

17,401 posts, read 16,547,378 times

Advertisements

Has your child ever participated in a regular book discussion group? If so, did the group meet in person or was the discussion done online? Was the experience good/bad/indifferent for your child? Any input is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 04:27 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,650 times
my kids had regular book discussion groups once a month before school in 5th grade, lead by the teacher. Both are boys, both would have rather been in bed. Neither put much effort into particapating.
Both are good readers who score high in comprehension. I did not find it beneficial.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:38 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Has your child ever participated in a regular book discussion group?
Both of mine have.

Quote:
If so, did the group meet in person or was the discussion done online?
In person.

Quote:
Was the experience good/bad/indifferent for your child?
They LOVED discussing books with others. But then, they're avid readers and they liked to talk!

Old 09-13-2011, 07:19 AM

Lol - I'm pretty sure that my kids wouldn't want to get up early to go to a book club, either.

But I think they might get something out of a club that met once or twice a month. Both of mine read a fair amount and they do like to talk.

A teacher led group would be ideal. But I'm wondering if a parent led and/or online group would be worth doing.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:28 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,053,608 times
My husband and our younger son (age 11) have a book club they started themselves. They started it over the summer. They are the only members - no moms or big brothers allowed, but sometimes the two family cats join in.

They agree to how many chapters they are going to try to read on their own over the course of a week and then on Sundays they relax on the couch with snacks and talk over what they've read. They are reading Jules Verne's Around the World in Eighty Days right now.

I did an online book club when I was in college. Loved it! In person sometimes I'm too shy but online I don't mind sharing my true thoughts and opinions. I've also done a book club with a group of friends but over time I didn't find that enjoyable mostly because they wanted to read different sorts of books than I did. (They are into things like Eat, Pray, Love and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and other heavily-hyped "best seller's" that get a lot of marketing and praise in the media... I'm not.)

Old 09-14-2011, 11:33 AM

This looks interesting: Book Adventure | Free Reading Program

Old 09-15-2011, 07:25 AM

I like the idea of a father/son book talk. My husband is a Verne fan, too. I can see him enjoying Around the World with our boys. Great suggestion!

Thanks for the link! I think lots of people (even extroverts) would enjoy an online book club - it can be hard to put your ideas out there for all to see. It might make it easier for boys, especially, to share their more empathetic/sensitive insights...

Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 AM

Yay! Glad to help. It has been great for our youngest and his dad because my husband often works very long hours (he supports the cellular and data network for a telecommunications company) so there will literally be days sometimes that they won't see each other. Hubby will leave before son wakes up, and doesn't come home until after bedtime, etc. This keeps them connected and ensures that for at least one day a week they have quality time together. Some weeks though my husband doesn't work very much at all and those weeks are great as they each claim one end of the couch and read quietly together. (I take photos of that, it's so cute. Especially when the cats claim the middle. )

Old 09-15-2011, 09:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Our neighbor tried to start one for the high school aged kids in the neighborhood but she scheduled it right during all of the sports and activity practice times so it never worked.

I think they are a great idea for kids that love to read.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
My husband and our younger son (age 11) have a book club they started themselves. They started it over the summer. They are the only members - no moms or big brothers allowed, but sometimes the two family cats join in.
I love this! I absolutely love it. THIS is how you build strong families. HH, this is going to reap rewards you cannot even imagine right now.

(My father and I memorized long poems together.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting