Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:49 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkerjim View Post
i'm not 100% sure how it works in all states but i'm sure something can be done with visitation if the custodial parent thinks things are not safe for the child... demanding that visitation be solely just the parent and child should be a law.
This is true but a parent cannot just unilaterally decide that the other parent's behavior is unsafe and keep the child from that parent. Usually a court has to be involved and simply having overnight guests of the opposite sex is probably not enough to keep a child from a parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 06:02 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
This is true but a parent cannot just unilaterally decide that the other parent's behavior is unsafe and keep the child from that parent. Usually a court has to be involved and simply having overnight guests of the opposite sex is probably not enough to keep a child from a parent.
Which is why I think the OP's hands are tied. So many parents are doing things out of spite, selfishness, jealousy, and bitterness that I don't see a judge being that concerned over one parent not liking the other parent having a new partner. Unless the parent can prove that something dangerous, unsafe, or abusive, they have to just deal with whatever the other parent is doing that they don't like. "I don't want my kid around that guy," isn't going to work.

It's ideal when you knew the person's parenting morals before having children with them, but for many, that doesn't show until after the child is already here. Then, as Judge Judy would say, you picked him. Deal with it.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:08 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Which is why I think the OP's hands are tied. So many parents are doing things out of spite, selfishness, jealousy, and bitterness that I don't see a judge being that concerned over one parent not liking the other parent having a new partner. Unless the parent can prove that something dangerous, unsafe, or abusive, they have to just deal with whatever the other parent is doing that they don't like. "I don't want my kid around that guy," isn't going to work.

It's ideal when you knew the person's parenting morals before having children with them, but for many, that doesn't show until after the child is already here. Then, as Judge Judy would say, you picked him. Deal with it.
Which is completely unfair to the child and totally ignoring so many other issues.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:12 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needadvicepleaseplease View Post
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please help me. I have no idea what to do. The father of my son and i were together for 5 years. My son is now 3. We broke up about a year ago. Him and i just see things too differently. I have never been able to get him to understand my point of view on any situation.
Anyways, he is starting to see other girls now, nobody serious. I recently found out that he had a girl stay the night with him while he had his son. (They share a room). Him and i got into a rather bad blow up about it. I think it is highly inappropriate to have someone that you are seeing around your children until the relationship has become serious. He does not believe it to be an issue and i do not know how to get him to understand that it is not good for our son. Advice anyone, please??!!
I think you have a right to be angry about this situation, surely as a responsible parent he could have made sure he didn't have a date that particular night...even more so he could spend some quality time with his child. Perhaps you need look at having full custody of your son.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Which is completely unfair to the child and totally ignoring so many other issues.
Maybe so, but what can you do besides leave the state with your child and be a fugitive? You have a child with someone, you have to put up with them, and so does your child. If you don't like their parenting techniques, you can discuss it with them, and hope they work with you. You can take it to court and hope a judge agrees with you. Other than that, I don't really see any other way of handling it.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Maybe so, but what can you do besides leave the state with your child and be a fugitive? You have a child with someone, you have to put up with them, and so does your child. If you don't like their parenting techniques, you can discuss it with them, and hope they work with you. You can take it to court and hope a judge agrees with you. Other than that, I don't really see any other way of handling it.
Not necessarily. There are other avenues to explore instead of just putting up with it. Especially if it is detrimental to the child.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:54 PM

I will also add that some people are very, very, very good at hiding their true colours until they are married/in a relationship. It is not entirely fair to blame the parent who is actually caring for the child for the shortcomings of the other parent. Comes off as a very "you made your bed now lie in it" type of mindset. Ridiculous and short sighted.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I will also add that some people are very, very, very good at hiding their true colours until they are married/in a relationship. It is not entirely fair to blame the parent who is actually caring for the child for the shortcomings of the other parent. Comes off as a very "you made your bed now lie in it" type of mindset. Ridiculous and short sighted.
Trust me, I'm not judging or looking down at anyone for their choices because I'm one of those parents that picked the worst possible man to have a child with. I know that people tend to hide their worst flaws until it's too late. And I HAD to deal with it. Lucky for my daughter, her father is now out of her life and she doesn't have to deal with him. But unfortunately, whether you were tricked, blinded by love, or whatever, once you have a child with somebody you can't undo it. You have to just do the best you can for your child. I may not approve of a man parading all his new girlfriends in front of his child, but believe me, there's FAR worse he could be doing. As long as he's being a good father in other ways that matter, not to be insensitive, but I don't know what else to say other than deal with it.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkerjim View Post
in my situation, if she didn't agree with my "values" on this subject, i'd do everything in my power to get my daughter out of the house so that she wouldn't be subjected to things like that.

i'm not 100% sure how it works in all states but i'm sure something can be done with visitation if the custodial parent thinks things are not safe for the child... demanding that visitation be solely just the parent and child should be a law.

i guess i'm just glad that i knew the person i had a kid with prior to having that kid... and knowing that our values were similar. while the marriage ultimatly didn't work, our views on the correct way to raise a child have never changed. the kid always comes first and no one should try to have a boyfriend/girlfriend come in to "play daddy/mommy" for the kid.
What if she then put a protective order against you so you couldn't get near the house?

It would be ideal if both parents would keep their lovers away from the child or children but that's not always how it's going to be.

It goes back to knowing the person you have a child with and sharing certain core values. If you don't do that then you have to deal with how it is.

There are better ways I think than trying to force the other parent out of the child's life. I've seen a case where the mother had many marriages, affairs, but the kids turned out stable, their father and step-mother provided them a stable home and good example. They were never denied time with their mother and they view her as a lovable nut. They know she's flakey when it comes to men but they also know she loves them in her way.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:10 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
id hand the kid over to you, sign away my parental rights, and terminate any and all contact with you or the kid. Then id go do what I want since im now single.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting