Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 06:09 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
You don't get to choose if the child visits or not if it's court ordered visitation. Plus who's to judge when he's sticking to the rules? She won't know unless she is there.. What you say sounds good here but is unrealistic. Unless she wants to take him back to court she has no say. Please read my previous post as to why.

Court ordered visitation or not, I would not allow it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 07:21 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

If the OP disallows visitation, then she could be held in contempt of court. She could be found to be interferring with the relationship between son and father, then she could loose some of her visitation rights.

In shared custody, you have to put up with your child living in a situation you would never put them in. In my case, my kids (okay.... step kids) do not get bathed or have routine hygiene attended to when they are with their mother. She and her DH berates them on their food choices (he's a vegan and she is a puppy that thinks everything he says is golden). We have been in counseling due to one of the children worrying over her whether her mother loves her (at 8 yo). This same child rips off her toenails with anxiety. Of course there is more to the story, but the end result is that we cannot interefere with their time together.

What can we do? We can provide a stable home for our kids. Teach the kids to speak for themselves and to recognize that they have power over themselves and no person has a right to determine their value as a person.

It is not easy.... some days it rips your heart out, but this is the best way for the kids in this situation.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:51 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Maybe the answer is supervised visitation, or visitation during the day. I don't think it's right to cut a child off from his other parent, absent direct abuse. But I would be concerned about the fact that women are staying over when father and son share a room. I don't think dating is an issue, but having women over in the same room seems to show bad judgment.

This is a cautionary tale that many people miss or never think about. We all choose our child's other parent. Choose carefully.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:00 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Personally, as a woman of divorced parents (I was ten at the time), I knew it was over for them long before they separated, and knew they were seeing others in my absence. I think your former partner is living his life honestly, and if he provides safety, shelter, food, and isn't having sex in front of your son -- he's good in my book.

Kids are a lot more observant and intelligent that most parents like to admit to themselves. I knew when my parents were saying one thing, and doing something different, and didn't respect them more for it.

I think you should live your life honestly, to your values, and if your son has questions about life you should answer them to the best of your ability, and as honestly as possible. Let his relationship with his father take care of itself, as long as he is safe and being provided for.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:37 AM

593 posts, read 1,315,712 times
Quote:
How is it that you are not going to allow it..
If there is a court order for visitation and you deny that visitation, he/she can call the police and it is consider to be kidnapping.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:39 AM

593 posts, read 1,315,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Maybe the answer is supervised visitation, or visitation during the day. I don't think it's right to cut a child off from his other parent, absent direct abuse. But I would be concerned about the fact that women are staying over when father and son share a room. I don't think dating is an issue, but having women over in the same room seems to show bad judgment.

This is a cautionary tale that many people miss or never think about. We all choose our child's other parent. Choose carefully.
this is a good idea, but getting a supervised visitation is not easy..
especially if the father or mother doesnt have any criminal record.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
If it were me? I wouldn't allow my son to sleep over there until ex and I could agree and stick to rules about visits.
That's something else you don't get to decide. It's up to the judge. The OP had a child with some random guy and now she doesn't want thim having other random girlfriends.

The mother cannot control her ex-boyfriend by using the child. And the same thing goes for child support, he doesn't get to control his ex-lover with them.

It's like others pointed out - choose the other parent of your children wisely.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:49 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's something else you don't get to decide. It's up to the judge. The OP had a child with some random guy and now she doesn't want thim having other random girlfriends.

The mother cannot control her ex-boyfriend by using the child. And the same thing goes for child support, he doesn't get to control his ex-lover with them.

It's like others pointed out - choose the other parent of your children wisely.

Im agreeing with you on choosing the parent of your children..But when they complain how bad they think the other parent is being..They weren't bad to sleep with, have sex with, make a child with?, it was all good then..Now all of a sudden the guy that was so great...is now bad?..No people dont go from good to bad..If they are bad parents now they were bad parents in the beginning, its the person who refused to see it in the first place..
We are the ones who chose that bad parent for our child
Just ask someone who you know who believes their child has a good other parent..they will tell you..they knew that other parent would be a good parent no matter what!! Good parents dont go from..good to bad.
Everyone shows signs..its called recongnizing those signs so you don't get caught up other parent drama...
But I agree with your post..

Old 05-31-2011, 12:17 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
If it were me? I wouldn't allow my son to sleep over there until ex and I could agree and stick to rules about visits.
I hope you'd enjoy showering with Big Bertha.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:42 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Im agreeing with you on choosing the parent of your children..But when they complain how bad they think the other parent is being..They weren't bad to sleep with, have sex with, make a child with?, it was all good then..Now all of a sudden the guy that was so great...is now bad?..No people dont go from good to bad..If they are bad parents now they were bad parents in the beginning, its the person who refused to see it in the first place..
We are the ones who chose that bad parent for our child
Just ask someone who you know who believes their child has a good other parent..they will tell you..they knew that other parent would be a good parent no matter what!! Good parents dont go from..good to bad.
Everyone shows signs..its called recongnizing those signs so you don't get caught up other parent drama...
But I agree with your post..

There is so much wrong with your post I seriously do not know where to begin. Suffice to say people change, mature, and grow while others do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting