Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:09 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times

Advertisements

Sometimes people say something like "ew, look at that bug..ew, don't touch ,he's scary" and forget that the little person they're with, takes things quite literally....maybe grandma inadvertantly said something to make your little one feel afraid...just a thought.....I think also that the "monster spray"is an excellant idea, and might very well work....I hope you don't think I'm putting the Grandma down at all...most assuredly I'm not!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 01:40 PM

723 posts, read 1,046,209 times
We have tried everything that has been suggested. Results are minimal at best. She will now lay down to sleep if one of us stands at the door at bedtime. Two nights ago she slept till 4am before waking up screaming. "make me feel better" and last night she woke at 2am....... We previously explained that we would get her "monster spray", a projection flashlight, and a night lights to make her "FEEL BETTER". Ever since, that is all she says no matter our response it's always; "make me feel better". That is definitely much better than her waking at every hour. I'll take what I can get!!! LOL

Old 06-12-2011, 04:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
We have tried everything that has been suggested. Results are minimal at best. She will now lay down to sleep if one of us stands at the door at bedtime. Two nights ago she slept till 4am before waking up screaming. "make me feel better" and last night she woke at 2am....... We previously explained that we would get her "monster spray", a projection flashlight, and a night lights to make her "FEEL BETTER". Ever since, that is all she says no matter our response it's always; "make me feel better". That is definitely much better than her waking at every hour. I'll take what I can get!!! LOL
It sounds like this has become a pattern now and she will need some help to break it. I am glad it is a bit better than what it was.

From the Baby Whisperer: Wake your child one hour before she would normally wake. You do not have to wake him to full consciousness just enough to rouse him and he'll then pop back to sleep. After 3 nights of this you should have broken his routine. You will be tired, but if it works, it will only be for three nights. When you go in, you can try saying, *be all better* or something, perhaps, but try not to wake her all the way up.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:39 PM

723 posts, read 1,046,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It sounds like this has become a pattern now and she will need some help to break it. I am glad it is a bit better than what it was.

From the Baby Whisperer: Wake your child one hour before she would normally wake. You do not have to wake him to full consciousness just enough to rouse him and he'll then pop back to sleep. After 3 nights of this you should have broken his routine. You will be tired, but if it works, it will only be for three nights. When you go in, you can try saying, *be all better* or something, perhaps, but try not to wake her all the way up.
Awesome!! I will definitely try it!!! I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
My kid went through a phase like this and still gets the scaries now and then.

We gave him two flashlights in addition to keeping a low-wattage lamp on.

I also found humor to work quite well. Sitting with him, he would point to things (towels, shadows, etc) thinking they were monsters. I simply shined a light on them and comically declared that, "Its just a towell [or whatever]." He got a kick out of it.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:57 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
We went through this when DS was 4. We tried all of the above. This is what finally worked for us:

We let him sleep on a "pallet" on the floor in our room (a bunch of blankets, pillow, sleeping bag). Not in our bed--we just didn't want to go that route.

After about 2 weeks, we rearranged all the furniture in his room, including the bed, and he went back to sleep in his room. He had music, nightlights, stuffed animals, the works. But it was "breaking the cycle" that helped the most.

Good luck--I know what that exhaustion feels like. Hope it gets better soon.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:39 PM

346 posts, read 507,511 times
Have you considered that something in your daughter's diet could be contributing? Caffeine, sugar, or food dyes? A new juice or something? Perhaps she also needs some more physical activity during the day. I know all those things affect my sleep.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:56 AM

662 posts, read 1,644,386 times
Would it be possible to switch bedrooms? Maybe you have a ghost!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:42 AM

645 posts, read 988,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
Hello fellow parents,

My daughter is going to be 3 yrs old in November. She has recently (3 days ago) become scared of something in her room. At first, she said "Grandma Jerri is scaring me". While pointing at the wall.

THANKS!!!
Hi A-2L8. Stab in the dark - but how is Grandma Jerri's health? Any reason that your daughter may be picking up a vibe that perhaps Grandma may not be feeling well - or may be "going away?"

Sorry to bring it up. I know your daughter is young, but kids are also quite surprisingly aware and precocious at times. Hopefully, this is just a phase and she will simply transition out of it.

I'm sure all us parents know a thing or two about being sleep deprived. Good luck, folks.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:52 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I would seek the help of a professional with this as it has already continued to long. She has now set up a nightly habit that will be very hard to break. This has got to be effecting her all through the day and it is not healthy for anyone at your house. You'll have to reprogram with expert help to really get ahead of this.
Are you serious? Hire professional "help" because a not even three year old thinks there are monsters in her room?

A lot of what suggested is good, but the one thing I noticed was that she says "make me feel better". It's not uncommon for kids at that age to deal with separation anxiety and have trouble coping and calming themselves in "scary" situations. That is why so many kids at that age have a security device, a stuffed animal, blanket, pillow, etc. Does your daughter have anything that she uses as a security item? If not, it might not be a bad time to introduce one.

My son has his stuffed elephant and green blanket. My one daughter has her Disney princess blanket, purple pillow pet and Mickey Mouse. My other daughter has her ladybug pillow pet. They are not obsessed with these items in that they carry them around everywhere, but they "need" to have them when they go to sleep and my one daughter also heads for her security items when she gets hurt or upset.

I think the right tact is to help her self soothe a little bit and that all ties in with setting the mood (night light, welcoming room, monster spray) and then giving her a special item to help comfort her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting