Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:41 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,286,244 times

Advertisements

Check out Environmental Working Group website, I don't know how to post links, it is the most comprehensive site on consumer products that is not sponsored by manufacturers or those with a profit agenda, that I have found.

Many of the ingredients in sunscreens still used in U.S., but not allowed in other countries, have been shown to block some sun rays, which is all they have to do per FDA, but an undisclosed side effect is they have also been shown to "promote" cancer when reacting with sunlight!

The EWG website begins their list of reviewed sun products with those marketed for children. Scary stuff, and I don't even have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 09:09 PM

466 posts, read 815,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Also in my youth it was called Sun Tan Lotion. Wonder when the term Sun Screen or Sun Block came into being?
Aren't they different things? I feel like suntan lotion actually promotes tanning somehow. I think they still sell it, but not as much as they used to.

That EWG list was posted on another website I go to. A woman on that board who is a dermatologist said she thought it was a bit over the top and she didn't think it was the end-all, be all of lists. Also, most of the products they recommend aren't found in Target or other common stores and can be cost-prohibitive for people who use suncreen frequently.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I got a couple bad burns when I was a teen. I wish I'd listened to my mom! I put sunscreen on my kids every day during the summer.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:53 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I have an Aussie hat that says "Slip Slop Slap". I had no idea there was a song too!
And you thought it was a message about our politicians.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:15 AM

469 posts, read 1,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
Check out Environmental Working Group website, I don't know how to post links, it is the most comprehensive site on consumer products that is not sponsored by manufacturers or those with a profit agenda, that I have found.

Many of the ingredients in sunscreens still used in U.S., but not allowed in other countries, have been shown to block some sun rays, which is all they have to do per FDA, but an undisclosed side effect is they have also been shown to "promote" cancer when reacting with sunlight!

The EWG website begins their list of reviewed sun products with those marketed for children. Scary stuff, and I don't even have kids.
this is very true! try to get with the ACTIVE ingredients being Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide or a combo. of both (they should be AT LEAST 7%). CHECK LABELS! I find mine at places like whole foods, vitamin shoppe etc.. They are costly usually in a small bottle. However- I only really use it on the kids if we are out in peak hours for a long time. They leave "white cast" but when we are out at parks or at the beach for hours-- that's the least of my worries~

Old 06-14-2011, 06:19 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:

You will note the EWG makes the statements about ingredients without any substantiations. I am not saying their findings are true or false, but that is the point, they have posted, no sources, no data, and no peer reviewed studies.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:58 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:

Yes, this.

The crap that they expect us to put all over our kids is astounding. I use sunscreen sparingly on my kids - def won't let them get burned but they do get a light tan by the end of the summer. Not to mention how vitamin D deficient most kids are now since they are slathered up all the time...but that is another story.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:25 AM

Default I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You will note the EWG makes the statements about ingredients without any substantiations. I am not saying their findings are true or false, but that is the point, they have posted, no sources, no data, and no peer reviewed studies.
It is easier to research products and ingredient for your self, than it used to be. Right now I'm trying to get to the heart of the lies and obfuscations about PET FOOD from BIG PET FOOD.

My first and only cat DIED due to Wellness Brand, 5/4/2011, bought at Whole Foods. The brand now sells at Petsmart and Petco also (this is not an endorsement, in case your skimming, re: the word DIED.

Has anyone who shops at Whole Foods like I DID, actually looked into WFM, business practices, past the signs and shiny brochures and seen the companies they do business with?

Wellness has been owned by two different companies since 2005/2006. First Catterton Partners, specializing in leveraged buyouts, corporate raiding etc.
Stripped the company down fired the workers, outsourced manufacturing etc.

They then sold it (at an obscene profit, even by capitalist standards), to Berwind.
Berwind is into coal, timber, and buying niche products with still good reputations and running them without the same quality/expense of the original owners intent.

That's who Whole Foods is in bed with.

Bitter? Hell yeah. Mad? Hell yeah, at myself as well.

I've been doing this sunscreen thing for so long it's like second nature. I traveled extensively as a flight attendant and had a background in cosmetics, but nothing beats researching on your own.

And not brand/product websites or the Better Business Bureau .
I found these two sites yesterday, they look promising, just keep digging.
PRNewswire and ReportLinker, I don't know how to post links.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
Aren't they different things? I feel like suntan lotion actually promotes tanning somehow. I think they still sell it, but not as much as they used to.

That EWG list was posted on another website I go to. A woman on that board who is a dermatologist said she thought it was a bit over the top and she didn't think it was the end-all, be all of lists. Also, most of the products they recommend aren't found in Target or other common stores and can be cost-prohibitive for people who use suncreen frequently.
I just caught "A women on the board who is a dermatologist said she thought the list was a bit over the top", who is she and where can we read her list? and why she feels this way. Really, not me being snarky, just tired and still grieving, but interested as much information as possible to try and make better decisions.
Once again truly, not snarky, not a morning person, but what is the "cost" of skin cancer?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:39 AM

466 posts, read 815,837 times
Quote:
I just caught "A women on the board who is a dermatologist said she thought the list was a bit over the top", who is she and where can we read her list? and why she feels this way. Really, not me being snarky, just tired and still grieving, but interested as much information as possible to try and make better decisions.
Once again truly, not snarky, not a morning person, but what is the "cost" of skin cancer?
She just said that she thought some of the science cited by EWG wasn't as strong as it could be. And in the June issue of Glamour this month, another dermatologist mentioned that list and he said you would have to apply suncreen for 227 years to increase that risk. I don't know how he got that figure, either, but it's just another side. I guess the doctor on my board posted after several other moms started panicking because they used Waterbabies or whatever on their kids. She was stating they weren't putting their kids in immediate danger and I got the impression she thinks most of the stuff you see at an affordable price is fine.

As for the cost, one of the suncreens recommended by EWG is California Baby. That product IS sold in Target and a tiny tube that a family of four could go through in one day at the beach is $20. If you go to the pool or beach nearly every other day (and some people do), it adds up.

I don't know. I was just saying what I've heard other experts say.

Last edited by carolinacool; 06-14-2011 at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting