Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:51 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,277,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
Well, then the answer is clearly, "No, you cannot teach your own kid piano."

Your ability to play has no bearing on your ability to teach. None. They are completely separate. My best teacher in college could hardly play a note, but she was amazing as a teacher. My super-famous-blah-blah-blah piano teacher in college was horrible, but he's super famous and he only took on two students on a year. Who cares; he was horrible as a teacher!

I am a professional piano teacher and do plan to teach my own children if they want to learn. Most of my colleagues teach their own kids with remarkable success. There are a few who cannot teach their own children, but it's actually pretty rare and it's always a personality/power-struggle thing, rather than a teaching thing.

Now, as far as the piano teacher messing with time-slots. I actually don't see what the problem is. You said she is popular and in high demand. What makes you think that you should have a time slot "held" for you if you aren't currently using and paying for that time slot?

Would you go to work, and from 9:30am-10:00am you need to be there, but there is no work for you and you don't get paid--just in case something does come up for you to do?

The demanding parents are pretty funny, though. They are hard to work with. Maybe you are one of them, too?
You are right my friend. I am not paying for that time slot yet for next year so it is technically up for grabs. However, I've been taking piano with this teacher for many years and we have a pretty good rapport. What is slightly frustrating is that I've been upfront with her and asked her to hold things for us and she gave us every indication that she would. Heck, she is still finishing up the current piano year and things are still in limbo with time slots for next year. This new development has been suprising and thus my question to other parents of how they have fared as teachers to their children.

My son on the other hand is a bit different from my daughter--a bit easier going and we've had less conflict over things. I love my daughter dearly but sometimes things can get very intense between the two of us. Each child is different and my two kids seem to be polar opposites. My son probably would be easier to teach but I don't know.

Am I a demanding parent? I'm actually pretty easy going and as I've stated before, the teacher and I have a great rapport. Let's try to keep the judgement out of this discussion please. You don't know me, I don't know you. I'm simply asking other parents for advice and how they have fared being teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 01:22 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,320,192 times
Even though I have played for 20+ years and have certifications in music theory I would not teach my kids unless I have teaching credentials. Also it's cheaper for me to pay somebody than to take that time out of my day...

Old 06-23-2011, 02:16 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,277,854 times
Just wanted to give an update---we worked it out with the teacher yesterday!!! I am so happy. She is adjusting things here and there and will make it happen. When I mentioned to her that I was pondering giving lessons to son if it didn't work it, she gave me a look like I was crazy. She retold me the story about trying to teach her own kids and had to send them elsewhere for music lessons, hehe.

We got some assignments to work on over the summer. My daughter and I are working on some really cool duets together (we love playing together) and they may take a lesson here and there with the teacher. My daughter is gung-ho about taking up the clarinet for next year in addition to piano.

Thanks for all the good discussions. Much appreciated!

Old 06-23-2011, 02:26 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,321,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I don't know if it's personalities or what, but I can't teach my daughter anything. It's like she doesn't take my instruction seriously or something - maybe because to her I'm just Mom.
Oh, gawd! It was exactly the same thing with us! For those who can successfully home-school their children, I have utmost admiration for them! Because it would have been a disaster in my case!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting