Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 08:08 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Really? That's not my impression. I thought the majority were at home moms. Ok.
Working mom here. I was deeply insulted by many of the things that Ivory said. Not because I am a SAHM (I'm not), but because my mom was as well as many other very smart and strong women I know.

If what my mom did doesn't matter, then why would I be insulted by what she is saying? I am responding to some of her posts as a WM and sometimes I am replying as a child of a SAHM. I know how important a SAHM can be from my own experience as a child.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:13 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Most of us have worked, and many of us will again. In fact, it's quite possible I'm the only one who does not plan a return to paid employment.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:14 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
Mimi- I also want to say that a lot of people on this thread are getting very worked up because she just isn't listening to any other points of view. At all. Many people on here have listened to what she is saying, and even agreed with her on some points, but the fact that she can't for even a second acknowledge that someone else has a point gets really frustrating. Sometimes you just want to open up someone's view on life just enough that they can possibly understand what someone else is trying to say.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I worked full time, then half time, am home now, and have been actively looking for work for a few months now.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 PM

572 posts, read 1,299,466 times
Worked full time in the military, off the last few years, want to work part time, but having difficulty finding a job that fits my schedule.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Mimi- I also want to say that a lot of people on this thread are getting very worked up because she just isn't listening to any other points of view. At all. Many people on here have listened to what she is saying, and even agreed with her on some points, but the fact that she can't for even a second acknowledge that someone else has a point gets really frustrating. Sometimes you just want to open up someone's view on life just enough that they can possibly understand what someone else is trying to say.
Well said.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:44 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Well, except when I said that I worked because I thought money was important. Lots of posters said that spending time with kids was more important than money. The implication is that I care more about money than spending time with my kids. I think that's kind of not-so-gentle, but it doesn't really bother me so much, because I do think that I'm making a responsible and reasonable choice.
For me, for most of the SAHPs I know, spending time with the kids is more important than money. It's kind of integral to the decision for most-- admittedly not all-- of us. There are times when that would not be the case, and at those times, people probably choose differently. Assuming that one starts at a baseline of "enough" (be it money or family time), it wouldn't matter except to the persons directly involved which way the overage goes. Were we not starting with a baseline of "enough", then judgment is probably not inappropriate-- but not knowing your family, I don't know that I could confidently that assumption about you. In absence of compelling evidence otherwise, I would assume the former.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:47 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Working mom here.
Working mom for 15+ years. Now at home for nearly that, and homeschooler for several of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Most of us have worked, and many of us will again. In fact, it's quite possible I'm the only one who does not plan a return to paid employment.
I won't rule it out entirely, but not this week, anyway. And I don't intend to resume my previous career.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:22 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
Quote:
If I'm a vegetarian (by choice), it is implied that I don't like meat. If I'm talking to a carnivore and explain that I don't like meat, that carnivore is going to feel judged and put down. The vegetarian didn't set out to insult the carnivore, but did just by holding that opinion.
No. Saying you don't like meat is not an insult to all carnivores. Maybe a carnivore who is unsure about their decision to eat meat, and deep down inside wonders if he/she should be a vegetarian would be insulted. But even then they would have to be a very immature carnivore.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:28 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
No. Saying you don't like meat is not an insult to all carnivores. Maybe a carnivore who is unsure about their decision to eat meat, and deep down inside wonders if he/she should be a vegetarian would be insulted. But even then they would have to be a very immature carnivore.
Actually, if you had that discussion with a carnivore, and the carnivore comprehended your words enough to be insulted at all, he'd probably just rip you apart with his teeth and eat you.

FYI: Humans = OMNIvore, not carnivore. Wolf, kittycat, spider, alligator = carnivore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting