Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 08:03 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snadai View Post
I would say the pissing match between WM and SAHMs gets so old. I have done both, and I like staying at home so much better and it's fortunate that I get to do that. However, I hate the housework and am not all that great at it...I would hire a full time housekeeper if I could. There is no magic that says whoever cleans the most is the best mom.

My mom worked my whole life. And it really influenced me in my decision to stay home, simply because she talked a lot as I got older how she wished she could've stayed home when we were little. She was a professional woman in a mostly man's field that was cutting edge back when she was in it - computers in the 70s/80s - she even made more than my dad.

I have a college degree and of course worked before I got married...and when we were getting married, we decided I would stay home with the kids if at all possible. I don't think it ever entered my husband's mind that I wasn't going to be pulling my weight or being an equal partner or whatever. And fwiw, I asked my daughters, who are 12 and 10 what they wanted to be when they grow up and they both picked professions...neither said "SAHM". I think if your daughters have any imaginations whatsoever, they can see that women have choices. Some are SAHMs, some are WMs...it's all good.
It's a good thing, I HATE housework. I LOVED coming home when the housekeeper'd been here. It was so nice coming home to a spotless house. My goal is to be able to afford a housekeeper again someday. I really miss my house being "Anna Clean". I can't clean like Anna and she did it next to no time. She cleaned my whole house top to bottom, spit shined clean, in less than four hours. I really want to know how she did it. It's not that housework takes a lot of time...it doesn't. It's I don't like doing it.

I hate to say this but my friends who had SAHM's picked careers too and ended up being SAHM's. They picked careers because they didn't see SAH as a career choice. Funny but they all regret that decision now that it's time to pay the piper. Every one of them wishes she'd kept working or had a career. It takes so much to make up for years out of the work force. That's money not saved (and likely money spent), 401k contributions not made, missed time towards pensions (if you had a job that had one), raises you never got, income you never earned... I feel bad for them. Especially the ones who have ended up divorced. They really got the short end of the stick.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
What lab are you doing that it takes 6 hours to mix the solutions?
We're generating standard sugar curves. I need enough of 7 solutions of different concentration for 150 students. I have to mix about 1000.0 ml of each solution per class...The water has to be boiled to get the sugar to go into solution. Unfortunately, I'm working with antiquated hot plates. If I had my stove at home, I could do this in three hours. The first year I did this lab, I did the set up at home because all I had were bunsen burners in the lab. I think that's when the ants moved in....

The lab is worth it though. They generate the curve, then use it to determine the concentration of two unknowns and several products on the market. It's just a bear to set it up for 150 students. The clean up is a pain too. I use a lot of glassware. I start with my biggest flasks and work my way down....

The other lab that takes me a week to set up is an ion identification lab and, again, it's because I have to mix chemicals for 150 students. Glassware is a problem there too. What I wouldn't give for a couple dozen 2.00 L volumetric flasks.... My other labs are, usually, less than two hours to set up.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-28-2011 at 08:24 PM..

Old 09-28-2011, 08:16 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It's a good thing, I HATE housework. I LOVED coming home when the housekeeper'd been here. It was so nice coming home to a spotless house. My goal is to be able to afford a housekeeper again someday. I really miss my house being "Anna Clean". I can't clean like Anna and she did it next to no time. She cleaned my whole house top to bottom, spit shined clean, in less than four hours. I really want to know how she did it. It's not that housework takes a lot of time...it doesn't. It's I don't like doing it.

I hate to say this but my friends who had SAHM's picked careers too and ended up being SAHM's. They picked careers because they didn't see SAH as a career choice. Funny but they all regret that decision now that it's time to pay the piper. Every one of them wishes she'd kept working or had a career. It takes so much to make up for years out of the work force. That's money not saved (and likely money spent), 401k contributions not made, missed time towards pensions (if you had a job that had one), raises you never got, income you never earned... I feel bad for them. Especially the ones who have ended up divorced. They really got the short end of the stick.

More condesention--to you it is all about money-- As you enjoy saying UGH!!!!

Old 09-28-2011, 08:22 PM

572 posts, read 1,299,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Yep... . I love that she implies people who stay at home don't work hard.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
What my friends say is what my friends say. Now that they're 50ish and not financially secure, they're wishing they'd thought ahead. Most of them will never be able to retire because of the decision to stay home. My sister doesn't know how she'll eat when her alimony runs out. She's desperate to find another husband and you know how desperation sends men fleeing....

And kids are not going to pick SAH as a career choice when their friends are picking the likes of doctor and lawyer. There is peer pressure you know.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:27 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
The nastiness in this thread is breath-taking. What exactly is the point? Do what makes you and yours happy, and let that be the end of it.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
Yep... . I love that she implies people who stay at home don't work hard.
Well, I don't work hard on my days off and my days off should be busier than a SAHM's days home.... SAHM's do every day what I do when I'm on vacation or off for the weekend and I don't call that work because it isn't. There is so little work to be done at home that you can work full time and still manage to do it.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:33 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Well, I don't work hard on my days off and my days off should be busier than a SAHM's days home.... SAHM's do every day what I do when I'm on vacation or off for the weekend and I don't call that work because it isn't. There is so little work to be done at home that you can work full time and still manage to do it.
Why do you feel the need to put others down?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:38 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
All of you need to chill out. What does it matter what other women do with their days? If Ivory enjoys teaching Chem, that's wonderful. If a sahm enjoys playing dress-up with her toddlers, that's wonderful, too. Enough of the pointless mommy wars.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:40 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
All of you need to chill out. What does it matter what other women do with their days? If Ivory enjoys teaching Chem, that's wonderful. If a sahm enjoys playing dress-up with her toddlers, that's wonderful, too. Enough of the pointless mommy wars.
Who are you talking to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting