Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:28 PM

368 posts, read 929,251 times

Advertisements

We took our toddler, who's 18 months, to the doctor on Friday and the planned well visit turned into a sick visit. He had a 102.7 fever and had been suffering a clear runny nose for a few days, no cough and otherwise appetite seemed fine. He's been chewing on things a lot and the pediatrician said that it was due to the fact that all 4 canines are coming in at once. 3 have broken through but one on the bottom is stubborn. He's in clear discomfort and super cranky! No fluid in ears signaling an ear infection, or congestion in his lungs or nose (despite the runny nose).

So we watched him over the weekend, administered infant ibuprofen, and his temp has been bouncing between 98.7 and 102.9 all weekend, going no higher. He feels better and plays and runs around with his brother and then starts feeling awful again in late afternoon. He stayed home from school today because of the fever in the morning (101.3) and has been sleeping a lot and cranky. Then DH told me that he has begun refusing water which he loves and isn't so much into the bottle, which causes me concern, but DH insists it's still teething and feels it isn't worth it to take him back to the after-hours pediatrician. I'm not buying it anymore. Is it even possible for all of this to be due to teething?? I can buy crankiness and maybe a low-grade fever, but 102??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 03:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Not having an interest in his bottle could definitely be due to teething.

I think you're pediatrician is wrong to attribute a high fever to teething.

Regardless, babies get sick with fevers all the time and that doesn't mean they need medical attention.

You said his drainage is clear. It's most likely he has a virus. His 102 fever isn't high enough to be considered dangerous.

I really don't see the point in taking him back to the doctor unless his symptoms get worse or he doesn't take in any fluids to offset his fever.

Try to give him some Pedialyte.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
I don't know that I'd take him to after-hours, but call the regular doc tomorrow if he still has the fever. Ear infections can come on suddenly. Not having one a couple days ago doesn't mean he doesn't have one now. refusing the bottle could be because it hurts his ears to swallow.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:59 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,934 times
Doctors disagree as to whether teething causes fever. My daugher would run a slight fever while teething, but other friends kids didn't. So, with that said I would just kep a close eye on him and if the fever persists past Wednesday you might consider bringing him back in to his pediatrician.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I don't know that I'd take him to after-hours, but call the regular doc tomorrow if he still has the fever. Ear infections can come on suddenly. Not having one a couple days ago doesn't mean he doesn't have one now. refusing the bottle could be because it hurts his ears to swallow.
I agree. By tomorrow he will have had fever for five days. That's a long time for an 18 mo. old. If he's not having wet diapers, at least 3 in a 24 hour period, or tears when he cries, take him to after hours; he could be getting dehydrated.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:24 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
For my own toddler, I'd give him some ice pops and wait it out. If he is getting worse instead of better (and remembering that fevers get higher in the afternoon/evening), then I'd take him in again... otherwise, he'll probably be better in a day or two (I'd go back into the doc after 7 days of a fever).

Old 04-26-2011, 07:05 AM

368 posts, read 929,251 times
Fever broke yesterday and Hopes was right - it had to be a virus because his nose just erupted this morning and all sorts of gunk came out! Not clear anymore! Perhaps it was teething AND a virus because the troublesome canine broke through yesterday too.

Now he occasionally coughs this awful croupy/goose-honking sound and DH who is home with him called to tell me about blotchy skin this morning when he was giving him a bath. Of course I told DH that if the skin doesn't clear up within an hour (perhaps just dermatitis), he should take him to the doc because I don't like all of these elements at once... but then he says "I don't think that's necessary, he's playing, he has his appetite back." I wanted to say, hmmm, then why did you call me somewhat panicked about the blotchy skin?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:18 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
hhhmmmm... My oldest was sick so much with colds and ear infections, I never even noticed teething. Is he taking a bottle now?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:46 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,937,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
Fever broke yesterday and Hopes was right - it had to be a virus because his nose just erupted this morning and all sorts of gunk came out! Not clear anymore! Perhaps it was teething AND a virus because the troublesome canine broke through yesterday too.

Now he occasionally coughs this awful croupy/goose-honking sound and DH who is home with him called to tell me about blotchy skin this morning when he was giving him a bath. Of course I told DH that if the skin doesn't clear up within an hour (perhaps just dermatitis), he should take him to the doc because I don't like all of these elements at once... but then he says "I don't think that's necessary, he's playing, he has his appetite back." I wanted to say, hmmm, then why did you call me somewhat panicked about the blotchy skin?
It could be Fifth Disease. That often presents with several days of fever and irritability. After the fever breaks, a splotchy red rash appears on the face and trunk that lasts several days or more. It is a seasonal virus that occurs most often in the spring. The good news is that it goes away on it's own and is very, very common in young kids.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:41 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
was your baby vaccinated at that "well visit"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting