Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 AM

21 posts, read 24,185 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

My ex and I aren't getting very far with baby names and with the recent passing of her father I thought it would be nice to name our baby after him... except it's a girl. I have thought of the following names and I'm chasing any feedback (good, bad, otherwise) you may have. His name was Neville so I've come up with these names:

Elliven (Neville backwards)
Evellin/Evillen (as opposed to Evelyn)
Nevillia (kinda like Amelia)

I haven't suggested the last one to my ex as I'm not sure if it's honourable or disrepectful. As I said, any thoughts or other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 09:15 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,355 times
Honestly, I hate them all. Made up names can be torture for a child growing up. It is a very nice thought but why don't you just make Neville her middle name?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
I like the name Evelyn, but as you know, that is not Neville backwards even if you spell it funny. I don't care for the other made-up names or spellings, sorry.

What about Neve or Neva? Those are real names.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:22 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
Just name her Amelia or Evelyn- she will thank you someday!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:25 AM

992 posts, read 2,372,908 times
Aren't there enough made up names already?

Remember, this little girl is going to grow up someday. She won't be bows and tutus forever.

The suggestion of Neville as a middle name is nice, as middle names are hardly used, unless the child is in trouble.

Find a first name that goes with Neville...a first name with one or two syllables is usually the norm, with a 2 syllable middle name. Unless you're like us and give your child the longes name ever: Charlotte Elizabeth.
We have another, Evangeline Kate...it's a long first name with a short middle name. We also have a Catherine Grace and a Colin Edward.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:28 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,771 times
I don't care for them either, but I think it would be nice to give her Neville as a middle. I would feel honored if I was her.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,886 times
I know a very nice woman named Neva (NEE-Vah). I think you should think about using it. It's easy to pronounce, easy to spell, relatively unusual, but still a sensible name. And I'm sure most family members would realize that Neva is named for Neville.

Oops. I just realized that JustJulia has read my mind again and I just re-suggested her suggestion. (But it is a nice name!)

Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 AM

538 posts, read 1,521,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Aren't there enough made up names already?

Remember, this little girl is going to grow up someday. She won't be bows and tutus forever.
Haha, yep. When we named our son, everyone told us how "that is such a big-person's name for a little kid." I had to remind people that he was only going to be "a little kid" for barely a handful of years...then what?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Evellyn, odd spelling but at least people should be able to figure out the pronunciation.
Neva, or Neville as the middle name work too.
Elliven is awkward for my tongue, too much like eleven.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:52 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountry View Post
Hi everyone

My ex and I aren't getting very far with baby names and with the recent passing of her father I thought it would be nice to name our baby after him... except it's a girl. I have thought of the following names and I'm chasing any feedback (good, bad, otherwise) you may have. His name was Neville so I've come up with these names:

Elliven (Neville backwards)
Evellin/Evillen (as opposed to Evelyn)
Nevillia (kinda like Amelia)

I haven't suggested the last one to my ex as I'm not sure if it's honourable or disrepectful. As I said, any thoughts or other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
I think you have a good heart to think of this. May I make a suggestion, though? Try to keep in mind that this little girl will only be a little girl for a few years. She's going to have to bear this name as an adult for decades. I know it's tough, but really try to pick a name that she would be proud to see on her resume, that will be a pleasure to her as an adult, not something "cute" to stencil on the wall now.

I bring this up because I have a very unusual name. It's hard to spell and hard to pronounce. It was a burden growing up every time the substitute attempted to pronounce it and the whole class laughed. Even now, most people who only know me casually pronounce it wrong. It's a hassle to have to spell every time I have to give my name. It's annoying to see it constantly misspelled by my employer, on pre-printed things... you get the idea. I think sometimes parents with common names want to be "unique" with their kids. One thing I've noticed among my friends is that most of us with "unique" names ourselves didn't pass that on. Something to consider.

"Neville" would be an unusual name even for a boy. All of the switched up versions you made to try to feminize it seem like they'd be a burden on your daughter. If it were me, I would go with something lovely like "Evelyn" spelled the traditional way. You could say to your ex that you thought it would be a lovely tribute because it rhymes with Neville.

Also, keep in mind that the made-up names you invented don't really sound masculine or feminine. Every year teachers run into this problem and accidentally seat a girl at the boy's table (not realizing her name was supposed to be for a girl!) or vice versa. Or someone sees the name and makes a comment about your "son" that your daughter overhears. Of course it's quickly corrected, but after awhile, that becomes hard on some kids. When I see "Elliven" I either think of "eleven" the number or I think of "Elvin" on the Cosby Show. I don't think of a girl. "Evellin" kind of does the same thing. I can't figure out if it's supposed to be a masculine version of "Evelyn" and that's why the spelling was changed, or what. "Nevillia" could be pronounced so many ways in my mind that I fear a lot of people will have trouble with it and that could be frustrating for her.

Last edited by h886; 07-07-2011 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting