Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 01:13 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,203 times

Advertisements

My point is I believe we do have a right to believe that gay behavior is a choice and not a wise choice.
I do believe we have a right to teach this to our children without being attacked by others with different beliefs and slandered as bigots and subject to irrational phobias.

Simple as that.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:20 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
My point is I believe we do have a right to believe that gay behavior is a choice and not a wise choice.
I do believe we have a right to teach this to our children without being attacked by others with different beliefs and slandered as bigots and subject to irrational phobias.

Simple as that.
Yes, you do have a right to your own opinions. But once you express them on a public forum others have a right to voice their opinions on your post.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:53 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
No, I didn't say that gay people or anyone who says that they don't won't their kids to be gay finds something to be wrong with their kid.
Quote:
Do I want my kids to be gay, no, gay people don't even want their kids to be gay

Old 07-15-2011, 01:55 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes, you do have a right to your own opinions. But once you express them on a public forum others have a right to voice their opinions on your post.
Of course they do, I'm not offended myself or upset with comments from anyone else. I'm actually trying to be sensitive to not offend others.

My point is:

I suspect there is a large segment of our society that is tolerant of those who are gay but for themselves and their family do believe that it is a poor choice.

I believe there is a vocal minority that are intolerant and attempt to silence and discredit them as being bigots or subject to irrational fear.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:49 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Of course they do, I'm not offended myself or upset with comments from anyone else. I'm actually trying to be sensitive to not offend others.

My point is:

I suspect there is a large segment of our society that is tolerant of those who are gay but for themselves and their family do believe that it is a poor choice.

I believe there is a vocal minority that are intolerant and attempt to silence and discredit them as being bigots or subject to irrational fear.
Well, there's nothing wrong with discrediting something that you think is wrong. I think it's wrong to believe that being gay is a choice. That's what I think. I think that that particular belief is dangerous to the civil rights and well being of others. I think anybody that passes that belief on to their child as fact, is doing their child a disservice.

For somebody to think being gay is a poor "choice" for their family is ignorant, IMO. If somebody in their family makes that "choice", then that member of the family must be held accountable for that "choice" in some way or another, and that can't be great for that particular family member, no matter how "tolerant" of gay people that family may pretend they are.

Because behind the rhetoric, what is really being said is that being gay is the gay person's fault, and if they have it within their power to stop being gay if they so "choose".

I know enough gay people who's outright rejection from their families has nearly destroyed their chance at a good and peaceful life. Hiding behind your supposed "tolerance" while you actually condemn them for making "poor choices" is very damaging and incredibly confusing for the gay family member that can't just will their way out of it.

So thinking being gay is a choice, and passing that on to your children, is not just a benign and insular action that doesn't effect anybody but you. And if I hear anybody making that statement I am free to disagree with their belief, and voice my opinion about it, just as they are free to believe it.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:32 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:

Simple as that.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

If it quacks like a duck...

Old 07-15-2011, 05:39 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Do I want my kids to be gay, no, gay people don't even want their kids to be gay. I'll alway accept my kids for who they are but I don't want to push things on them either.
Honestly, I've never thought about it. Trying to convince my kid to have a certain sexuality is probably going to be about as successful as telling ds to stop being a musician or Eldest to stop being so social. I could probably, if I really tried, change the outward behavior, but who they are is who they are.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:52 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:

Simple as that.
So exactly when did you *choose* to be straight?

Old 07-15-2011, 05:56 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,069,183 times
Aconite, there is too much sensitivity here and misinterpetation and or streching of what someone means. I never said anything about convincing my kid about their sexuality. Who are kids will be also has to do with what we expose them to.

There are many imagines and stereotypes that I don't want forced on them at such an early age. I don't want my son to be a womanizer and I don't want my girls to think it is ok to get pregnant when they are 16 (ala MTV). Oprah had a show a while back on where they were discussing sex to I think the young girl was in 3rd or 2nd grade, no I don't believe that is ok in my household. It may work for you doesn't work for me. There is a time and place for everything. People try to force/expose too much on kids too early and kids stop being kids. Again, grow to make their own decisions in life some of which I may not agree with I'll always support them.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:12 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
I don't believe children learn their morals from television shows, movies and books. They learn them from their every day life by observing their parents, siblings and other people in their societal circle.

I have discussed reproduction with my older child since he was about four and asked where babies come from. Age appropriate, honest discussion keeps the door open and fosters respect between child and parent.

I don't believe answering children's questions (which is what this OP is about) is forcing anything. It's actually quite the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting