Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:53 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times

Advertisements

More and more women are having babies in their 30's and 40's. I guess a married couple can enjoy life while they're young and then settle into having a family. But I feel the older we get, the more we might appreciate slowing down and relaxing - at least I do. At 39, I can't imagine being responsible for another human being for 18 more years.

I also like being young enough to be able to relate to my son during his entry into adulthood. He likes being around me, wants me to tear up the town with him when he turns 21. I'm not much of a party gal anymore, but I love that he thinks I'm "cool" enough to party with.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 04:06 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
More and more women are having babies in their 30's and 40's. I guess a married couple can enjoy life while they're young and then settle into having a family. But I feel the older we get, the more we might appreciate slowing down and relaxing - at least I do. At 39, I can't imagine being responsible for another human being for 18 more years.

I also like being young enough to be able to relate to my son during his entry into adulthood. He likes being around me, wants me to tear up the town with him when he turns 21. I'm not much of a party gal anymore, but I love that he thinks I'm "cool" enough to party with.

Your thoughts?

Well, I'm 42 and my youngest son is 5 months old. By the time he's 20 I'll be 62. I am starting to get in shape as of now to be able to do things with him and my other son I wasn't able to do when younger.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:10 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,418 times
My mom had children at the age of 20, the the age of 35. I know now that she wishes she could've had us closer together when she was younger. She wants to be able to enjoy her middle age without having a teenager under her roof. When I was 18, she wasn't in a rush to get me out the house but I know when my younger sibling turns 18- she may be showing him the door.

I like being a younger parent, I agree that it makes me relate a bit better. I'm not in my mid 30s yet, but I doubt I'll want to have another child then.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:35 AM

403 posts, read 1,563,762 times
I was 23 when I had my first and 27 when I had my second. Both were planned pregnancies. So far this has worked out fine :-)

Old 02-04-2009, 05:37 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I'm a grandma at 46 and wouldn't have it any other way.
I'm glad my son and dil had their children early. They're still young enough to keep up with them and we're still young enough to play with them.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:48 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,634 times
Some people's circumstances (like not meeting the right person until later in life) make it impossible to have children early. Such was my case. I was married younger, but that (now ex) husband changed his mind about having kids. By that time I was 36 and devastated since I had wanted kids all along. I met my current DH at 40, then couldn't get pregnant. We adopted 2 kids and I'm so happy to be a mom to a 4 year old and a 6 year old at the age of 50. Parenthood came late to me, but I'm loving (almost) every second of it! We are just as active with our kids as many younger parents and we have no financial struggles (not that a younger couple necessarily would.) I spent my younger adulthood working and living internationally and traveling around the world for my job. My DH spent his 20s getting a PhD. We keep ourselves in good shape so that we can hopefully still enjoy life after the kids are grown up.

Would I have preferred to have had children earlier? Yes, but that wasn't how my life turned out and I'm totally ok with that.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:52 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Anyone under 25 having kids is just truly "babies having babies." I mean come on, I'm 26, I know a lot of people my age, they are old enough to raise another person? HAHA, right. Fortunately most of them are smart enough not to make that mistake. But wow, my sister is 23, so people her age having kids? You have to be kidding me. There is no maturity there. Heck they even did a brain scan study showing that women don't develop some of their better logical capacities until 25, the brain actually shrinks during teenage years and doesn't fully recover until about 25. And in my experience, boy, girls who are late 20s and early 30s are a delight compared to girls who are late teens and early 20s. The maturity difference is astonishing. Most girls under 25 are almost impossible to deal with, they are just basket cases. I'm not sure why this is exactly, but it's not that way with guys. If you ask me girls mature about 10 years later than guys, haha.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:56 AM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,101 times
I think this is a great post. Not everyone is fortunate to meet the love of their live at age 25. If people want kids and have the money and stamina to deal with it in their 40s, why shouldn't they? It's not for anyone else to judge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
Some people's circumstances (like not meeting the right person until later in life) make it impossible to have children early. Such was my case. I was married younger, but that (now ex) husband changed his mind about having kids. By that time I was 36 and devastated since I had wanted kids all along. I met my current DH at 40, then couldn't get pregnant. We adopted 2 kids and I'm so happy to be a mom to a 4 year old and a 6 year old at the age of 50. Parenthood came late to me, but I'm loving (almost) every second of it! We are just as active with our kids as many younger parents and we have no financial struggles (not that a younger couple necessarily would.) I spent my younger adulthood working and living internationally and traveling around the world for my job. My DH spent his 20s getting a PhD. We keep ourselves in good shape so that we can hopefully still enjoy life after the kids are grown up.

Would I have preferred to have had children earlier? Yes, but that wasn't how my life turned out and I'm totally ok with that.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Most girls under 25 are almost impossible to deal with, they are just basket cases. I'm not sure why this is exactly, but it's not that way with guys. If you ask me girls mature about 10 years later than guys, haha.
No one is asking you.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:03 AM

647 posts, read 2,083,480 times
I was 30 when I my first child was born (he's 6 now) and I've been happy with the timing. As for being younger, etc....my job is to be a parent to my children, not to be like their friend who they perceive as being cool to party with or hang with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting