Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 06:38 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
More and more women are having babies in their 30's and 40's. I guess a married couple can enjoy life while they're young and then settle into having a family. But I feel the older we get, the more we might appreciate slowing down and relaxing - at least I do. At 39, I can't imagine being responsible for another human being for 18 more years.

I also like being young enough to be able to relate to my son during his entry into adulthood. He likes being around me, wants me to tear up the town with him when he turns 21. I'm not much of a party gal anymore, but I love that he thinks I'm "cool" enough to party with.

Your thoughts?
To each their own, but I wouldn't want to be an old man with teenage kids. I think I found a happy medium....we had our kids when I was 27 and 32. Not too young, not too old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 06:43 AM

652 posts, read 2,664,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
This is the one thing that makes me sad about having kids later. My father died 17 years ago and my DH's dad died the year our oldest was born, so neither of our children knew their grandfathers. But I also didn't know my grandfathers (they died prior to my birth) and my parents had me when they were 30 and 32, so there's no guarantee by having kids younger that they will know their grandparents. Fortunately, my mother and mother-in-law, though elderly, are in very good health and are overjoyed to finally have grandchildren from us .
Your right, no guarantee's in life. And some time is better than none, and obviously you can live without grandparents. I had many friends growing up with wonderful grandparents and I can remember how envious I was because I didnt have any. I volunteered at a retirement facility and and nursing home and I used to love hearing their stories and asking for advice. My situation was different though. I was raised by my grandmother so she was my mom.
I also had an old neighbor who had her little girl at 41. Her mom was in excellent health and will probably be a great grandmother for a long time.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:35 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Just the financial aspects of being an older parent are worth it. Kids don't need to be raised in a household that is stressed because their parents are living hand to mouth.
I believe this is a more modern idea. Looking back at my family and others, they were poor by todays standards. Grandpas worked 12 hr. days, kids worked the farm they only ate meat on Sunday, got one pair of shoes a yr, blah blah blah. Your parents must not have told you the story about walking 10 miles to school barefoot, in the snow up hill both ways. Anyway, the point is that money isnt necessary to raise a happy family.

I had my kids young and their father died when they were 6 and 1. We had a rough time financially. I had to work 2 part time jobs and get my college degree. Looking back I dont know how I managed, but in some ways I believe that made us both closer and stronger. I'm 40+ now, doing much better financially and am more mature (old) but cant imaging having young kids at this point. I have much admiration for women who can start families later in life.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:54 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
There are clearly two sides to even the flattest pancake. Sure, we had less money when our kids were young but little kids don't cost all that much. If you are even halfway good with money you can raise kids on very little and it doesn't have to be a point of stress. Now that we are older and have higher income, more savings, we can do more with our older children and we all appreciate it but I'm kinda glad we didn't 'have it all' when they were younger. It gave us a real appreciation of spending time together (playing a game, riding bikes, going for a walk, etc) instead of spending $60+ for us all to go to a movie where we sit and stare at a screen instead of interact with each other. I think we appreciate and enjoy each other and a simpler lifestyle now because we didn't have it all and do it all and have our family focused on material possessions and activities.

And I won't lie, the idea of being financially secure and only 46 years old when our youngest is done with college is VERY EXCITING!!

Old 02-05-2009, 01:31 PM

591 posts, read 1,415,827 times
I had my kids young but I can tell you this my kids have wanted for very little. They've had 4-wheelers, dirt bikes, horses, way too many toys, trips to florida, wyoming, and a mom that read to them everynight, a dad that taught them to fish, quailty time and lots of love. And I had my first at the age of 17. But I didn't want to be like other teen moms so I worked hard to overcome many statistics. I have taught my kids the value of a dollar, the respect of another human being, to love theirselves ect. ect..

Old 02-05-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryLuvinWoman1 View Post
I had my kids young but I can tell you this my kids have wanted for very little. They've had 4-wheelers, dirt bikes, horses, way too many toys, trips to florida, wyoming, and a mom that read to them everynight, a dad that taught them to fish, quailty time and lots of love. And I had my first at the age of 17. But I didn't want to be like other teen moms so I worked hard to overcome many statistics. I have taught my kids the value of a dollar, the respect of another human being, to love theirselves ect. ect..
Is it too late for you to adopt me?? LOL

Old 02-05-2009, 01:50 PM

591 posts, read 1,415,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Is it too late for you to adopt me?? LOL
Absolutely your all grown up now so my job would be much easier lol

Old 02-05-2009, 02:59 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
for those of you that decided to pop out as many kids as possible before your 24th birthday so you wouldn't be "old" raising kids why didn't you just foster a child?

Old 02-05-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
for those of you that decided to pop out as many kids as possible before your 24th birthday so you wouldn't be "old" raising kids why didn't you just foster a child?
Why, when we could pop our own??

Why don't old parents foster kids instead of having their own? They have more life experience, better off financially, more prepared, more stable emotionally.....sounds like foster kids would be better off there rather than with the young, immature, poor, foolish young folks who just pop out babies.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:38 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailvasally View Post
Your right, no guarantee's in life. And some time is better than none, and obviously you can live without grandparents. I had many friends growing up with wonderful grandparents and I can remember how envious I was because I didnt have any. I volunteered at a retirement facility and and nursing home and I used to love hearing their stories and asking for advice. My situation was different though. I was raised by my grandmother so she was my mom.
I also had an old neighbor who had her little girl at 41. Her mom was in excellent health and will probably be a great grandmother for a long time.
And then there are people like me. My mom died when I was 22. I would have had to have been a teen mom for her to have lived long enough to spend any time with her grand kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting