Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 04:22 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times

Advertisements

Yes, touchy subject, indeed. But I still say KEEP THE DOGDAMN GOVERNMENT OUT OF IT!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 04:33 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
Who's going to take custody of these children? I think most states have a sortage of good foster homes and social workers ...

Old 07-14-2011, 04:48 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Sorry, I'm NEVER going to agree with this. So you think we should start removing kids from their homes because most obese children have neglectful parents? What about the parents who aren't neglectful? Oh well, remove the kid anyway? How would we police this? Not to mention, I've known way too many heavy people who diet and eat salad all the time and way too many skinny people who eat garbage. So its o.k. for a kid to eat garbage as long as they were blessed with a great metabolism? Or should we remove them too? Not to mention, I certainly don't trust the government to handle this. No way.
Me neither!

I have to tell you my youngest is chubby. Not fat but chubby (5', 120 lb). My middle is thin. Again, not unhealthy, but thin (5'10, 135 lb). My youngest eats a more healthy diet, he eats less, and he plays sports all year (football, wrestling, lacrosse). Yet he remains on the chubby side while his junk food eating, sedentary brother remains thin. Hmmmmmm......Maybe it's not parenting.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:57 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Yes, touchy subject, indeed. But I still say KEEP THE DOGDAMN GOVERNMENT OUT OF IT!!!!!
Blues, you should really be more clear, I'm still not sure where you stand.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:19 PM

853 posts, read 4,038,257 times
I sent my kids to summer camp at the Y a few years ago and almost every day they were given some sort of junk food. When they play on sports teams, parents always bring treats for the kids for after the game, ice-cream, lolipops, and the coaches bring Gatoraide. Then there are the relatives who nag them not to eat too much after bringing them treats that they are not allowed to have, and vending machines at school, and bake sales, ugh! I could keep them in the house more but then they would be couch potatoes! One of my kids is average size and the other is a tiny bit chubby by the way, I am just making the point that it is hard to control everything.

I also wonder how they will make sure that the foster parents can do better? Do they screen foster parents for activity level, eating habits, and if they can afford healthy food? Have they ever done studies about kids weight before and after foster care?

Old 07-14-2011, 08:09 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times
No.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:15 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Ah. No.

I have my thoughts on how kids should be raised. They should be kept skinny on restrictive diets, skimpy clothes, physical punishment and lots of outdoor physical exercise etc etc etc.

I do not think that the government should get too involved.

We obviously have some government involvement in our lives and every time some kid dies we ask where were the authorities.

The problem is where should the balance be?

Personally I lean away from too much government involvement and so even though I dispair at the fat kids I see, I also do not see that we should be doing any more than encouraging and educating and if some of them die early of a heart attack then so be it.

What do you mean by, "skimpy clothes"?

Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think this is a MYOB issue. Kids who are being abused or neglected are those who are in IMMINENT danger. Clearly, fat kids are not in any imminent danger from their parents.

At what point do you say a child should be removed? There has to be a legal definition. What would you propose?
If you believe that, you have a lot to learn about biology, chemistry, and medicine.

But keep that ignorant head in the sand...that will help kids and society.

Frankly, I think the government needs to stay out of everything, including paying for your kid's diabetes medicines once he gets sick from the way he's been fed.

I hate that people want it both ways. They want all the freedom but they want no responsibility. Don't worry...some safety net will save you from all your poor decisions!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:56 PM

973 posts, read 2,142,324 times
This is tough. There are so many kids that need homes as it is. & I'm the pot as my kids' diets aren't good at all. I'm lucky my kids are skinny. They eat alot (well, not like a ton, but not like birds lol) & they are skin & bones. I was too as a kid though. I'm still thin. It doesn't mean myself or my kids are more healthy than people bigger than us.

However, hubby's Mother was obese, so, that running in our family kinda scares me. His sister has yo yo-ed with her weight since she was about 20ish, & gained alot. Hubby isn't the smallest guy himself (I love him no matter his weight =) , & he's dieted & yo yo-ed as well. He loses 50lbs & gains it back slowly, then eats better, & loses.

So, if it's really abuse, perhaps, but, some kids bigger than mine probably eat better than mine do. I was at Disneyland & saw a heavy girl, who was about 5 or 6, in a stroller, so, no exercise by walking in the park, & her Mom was literally stuffing cotton candy in her mouth. I also have a friend who's best friend has twins that are very obese. She stuffs food on them, but starves herself (so, she has food issues anyway) .

Old 07-15-2011, 08:12 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,960 times
My DH has quite possibly the worst eating habits ever. He is a pleasure to cook for, let me tell you. He does not eat vegetables. At all. He hates them and eating anything green is a fate worth than death for him. He won't even eat potatoes, unless they are french fries. He likes red meat and hot dogs. He rarely ever drinks milk or water. He prefers coke and beer. And you know what? He is 5'9" and weighs 140 lbs. The man does not have an ounce of fat on his body. His whole family is very thin. Its genetics. What I'm saying is thin doesn't always = healthy, good eating habits and overweight doesn't always = constant binging on fast food and junk. So those in favor of this, do we remove the skinny kids who have poor eating habits too? Because there are a lot of them out there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting