Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

I for one could not be more pleased...........

Kids with Nazi-themed middle names in state custody | Philadelphia Inquirer | 01/14/2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 12:18 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,453 times
I agree, naming your kids after a man and a group that caused the single greatest amount of human suffering in a period of time is just beyond evil. And I'm sure those parents were instilling racist, anti-semetic rhetoric into their children everyday. To me, that's the same as teaching a child that all Christians should be stoned or all gays should be hanged. It's just evil and wrong.

I'm thinking though, that there might be more to the story than the racism aspect. Maybe they decided to check out the house after the birthday cake incident and found foul conditions. From the pictures, the dad looks like a total meth head. He has that sunken face that meth heads tend to get. Maybe the kids were taken out of the home because of drugs. Either way, let's hope the kids find a normal home and get their names changed soon.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:02 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
i will just paste what i posted over at a similar thread in the relationships forum:

if people could name thier kids apple and saddam and rumer, then why not hitler.

its a stupid issue. i didnt name my kids weird names, but i have no problem with parents who name their kids ladanian or chingwangwing. its not my place to pick names for other people. my kids classmates have some pretty strange (foreign) names. dont bother me much.

now this? there better be good reason for removing kids from their parents. its too traumatic, so they better have everything in order.

maybe a 14 y/o girl called from within the house anonymously and reported abuse?

Old 01-14-2009, 01:22 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
The article doesn't say why they were taken into custody. I doubt it was because of the names.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
It obviously has nothing to do with their names, which one of them has had for more than three years.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:57 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i will just paste what i posted over at a similar thread in the relationships forum:

if people could name thier kids apple and saddam and rumer, then why not hitler.

its a stupid issue. i didnt name my kids weird names, but i have no problem with parents who name their kids ladanian or chingwangwing. its not my place to pick names for other people. my kids classmates have some pretty strange (foreign) names. dont bother me much.

now this? there better be good reason for removing kids from their parents. its too traumatic, so they better have everything in order.

maybe a 14 y/o girl called from within the house anonymously and reported abuse?
Ladainian just happens to be my favorite football player so . And naming your kid a "strange" name like Apple or Rumer is hardly comparable to naming your child Adolf and Aryan Nation. I, like you, am thinking there is an issue beyond the names such as drug use or abuse that would cause them to be taken from the home. I don't think they were taken just because of their names.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:00 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
I think perhaps with all the attention they brought upon themselves with the birthday cake incident other issues may have surfaced.

All though the names of the kids are asinine and reckless, that in and of itself should not be reason to remove the kids from the parents. It would be a dangerous, slippery slope.

Hopefully there will be more news coming out about this.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:07 PM

76 posts, read 203,818 times
I hope that the children weren't taken solely because of thier names. It's unlikely but you never know. I saw on the comments section of the link someone said that the kids should have thier names changed by the state. I don't agree with that because while the names are highly unusual and some would would find them highly objectionable, the parents still retain the right to name their children until their rights are terminated or they give them up. Just because the state took the children temporarily (as of now it is temporary) doesn't give the state the right to change the kids names to something more conventional.

And also, the store that refused to write the name on the birthday cake was out of line. No, I don't like the name, and I do believe the parents choose it to be inflamatory, but the employee that refused was being paid to write names on cakes. Not to bring their personal philosophies into work with them.
For instance Osama is a fairly common name in some parts of the Middle East and Asia. Does that mean that a young child with that name shouldn't be able to have a personalized birthday cake?

Old 01-14-2009, 02:14 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
I am sure they weren't just taken because of their names.
Wouldn't the state have known about this years before if they stayed in the same state?
Like when you go to the Social Security office and tell them your kids name...wouldn't the state have stepped in then?

Old 01-14-2009, 02:20 PM

76 posts, read 203,818 times
That's true LiveToday. I was just thinking back to a few years ago when people with Pagan religious beliefs were having their children taken from them for their beliefs.
I think the names definitely drew attention to whether or not their parents were fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting