Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 11:26 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,757,752 times

Advertisements

In my husband's family, there has always been huge pressure to have boys. There have been 11 grandchildren born amongst his 4 siblings, with only one of them being a boy. Now the grandchildren are having children... and the "race", to produce the elusive XY child is back and as competitive as ever. The first two great-grandchildren are girls, but the third one (due in December) was recently found out to be a boy.

The niece that is having this baby is acting like she's giving birth to a miracle. She has taught her two year old to pat her belly and say "the only boy in there". She ran out and registered at three different places and then let all her friends and family know that they should go buy anything on the lists "just in case they wanted to get the special baby boy something" (this is not in preparation for a baby shower - there hasn't been one planned yet). She has gone on and on and ON via Facebook about what to name the baby - everytime interest flags, she brings it back up again and gets offended if people don't put their 2-cents in on what she should name the baby. She has been nasty to my other neice (who just had a baby girl a couple weeks ago)... this niece offered up her swing, bouncer, and some other baby items when her infant outgrew them. The one expecting the boy told her that she couldn't use them because they were generic colored and everything she needed HAD to be blue with boy patterns. She didn't want to use anything meant for girls because "she is finally having a boy afterall". (These are some of the same items she has on the absurd registries btw).

I have carefully kept silent (I did congradulate her when she found out she was expecting) because I am the mom of the only other boy in the family. I think anything I said that indicated my annoyance with her attitude would be chalked up to me being bitter about my son being unsurped as the only boy. Truly, my son is 15 so I am way beyond caring what sex the babies born to my nieces are. I will not run out and buy her something just because she is pregnant with a boy, however, I will buy her a gift if she has a baby shower or when she gives birth.

What she doesn't understand - what is out of perspective for her - is that, for the millions of us who have families that do contain boys and girls, this is just her second baby. She may have to buy new bedding, but the old crib will work. The generic colored car seat will also work just fine... even some of the white onsies and generic clothing she has from her first will work well. I am happy for her, but I see this being a continuing issue for years to come. Having a boy does not make her as entitled as she wants us all to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 11:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
That's really weird. She's going to push everyone out of her life. I'd just ignore her. Who cares if she thinks it's jealousy? She'll be living a very lonely life. That's her problem.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
her behavior sounds ridiculous, but it isn't your problem. If it were me, I surely wouldn't buy her one of the big items she already has in a different color. I might hide her on facebook and get her a small, practical gift. She will probably drive people away if she doesn't get over herself pretty quickly.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:42 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
She sounds petty, immature, and competitive to me. If she's already got baby stuff, I'd get her diapers or something more utilitarian. If I wanted to be petty too (tempting ), get her something gender-neutral.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:49 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,583,621 times
She sounds like she's gone round the bend. Pointing it out to her would likely be futile as she's not "all there" enough to even comprehend why people find her behavior obnoxious. I would ignore her Facebook posts, not participate at all as it will only encourage the behavior and make some space between you and her. For presents, since this is a second baby, I think getting nothing would be perfectly acceptable. Or, if you really want to get something, I would suggest diapers.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
I'm baffled with all this color nonsense for the different sexes. Is a baby boy gonna become effeminate if he sleeps on princess sheets, is wrapped in a pink blanket or even wears a pink outfit? It is just so silly. Now when my 4 kids were little I did take extra effort to dress them really cute when we left the house but in the house they were lucky to get something clean and we all know how many times a day you end up changing a baby.

She will have a rude awakening once she realizes nobody really cares.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:31 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
I just feel sad for the little boy yet to be born...hopefully she doesn't put him on a pedastle..and teach him that he is more special, and therefore more entitled than his sweet little sister.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:44 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,198,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I just feel sad for the little boy yet to be born...hopefully she doesn't put him on a pedastle..and teach him that he is more special, and therefore more entitled than his sweet little sister.
And even sorrier for his sister.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:51 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,992 times
The pressure to have boy. I wonder how that goes.

Maybe like this
Three ladies sitting waiting to see the doc for their 18 week scans.
First potential mother says "I was being very bold so I am going to have a boy"
Second pregnant lady says "I was being very meek and submissive so I am going to have a girl"
Third pregnant lady bust into tears.
First two ladies comforted her.
They asked what was wrong.
Between her sobs and tears she managed to say.
"I'm going to have a puppy"

Old 08-07-2011, 01:51 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,946,898 times
Hopefully she comes to the realization that no one cares...and that after this little boy is born that life will not be any better for her now. It is craziness like this that makes me so glad that I haven't joined facebook! Just ignore her and you will be fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting