Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:01 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times

Advertisements

I think anyone under 11 or 12 is way too young for braces and the dentist is just in it for the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 07:12 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Well no braces but a note saying that she will need 'orthodontic work' in the future.
She is still keen.
She was talking enthusiastically about a boy who is a year younger who has them and she was talking about how cool the colours were.

I wonder if you can buy toy ones? $10 on ebay?
Haha! That's a great idea if she doesn't actually need them now. And one He!! of a lot cheaper.

I about had a heart attack when they told me the price.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I think anyone under 11 or 12 is way too young for braces and the dentist is just in it for the money.
We have a great pediatric dentist and the kids go for for 6 month checkups. I'm impressed at how they can examine xrays of kids and anticipate problems. Both of my kids have had some slow to fall out baby teeth extracted and I can't believe how well all the adult teeth have aligned themselves. One of my son's adult teeth was way back in his gum line and once room was made, all his teeth aligned up perfectly. No need for braces yet since their adult teeth are coming in nicely.

I'm hoping that with some early intervention, we don't have years and years of braces ahead of us. Fingers crossed.

Oh and before someone flames me, the kids don't mind the extractions. They enjoy the day home from school, the toys the dentist hands out and the stubborn baby teeth that won't come out finally out. Not a whimper or cry compared to me who had to have 4 adult teeth taken out as a teen to make room in my mouth. The dentist assures me that with modern dentistry, they try to avoid that.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:51 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,671 times
Quote:

When I was a kid, back in the Olden Days, the prevailing wisdom was to wait till the child was 12-14 years old, see how the adult teeth had come through, and then make the teeth fit the mouth. By that time I had a mouthful of sticky-out and very crooked teeth – so at least 8 (maybe more) of them were removed. Although my parents did what they thought was best at the time, the results have been largely disastrous… my teeth don’t stick out like they would have with no treatment, but they are still badly aligned. My smile, while nothing to be ashamed of, is hardly dazzling and my jaw is on the small side relative to the rest of my face.

When my daughter was 8 years old it became clear that she had inherited my mouth and teeth. The prevailing wisdom by then was to start orthodontic work straight away – with a view to making the mouth fit the teeth (instead of making the teeth fit the mouth). So for three or four years she had a retainer which worked to widen her jaw while keeping her teeth in alignment. She wore it 24/7 except for meals or during very special occasions. The result is that my daughter – now aged nearly 33 - has a complete set of very straight teeth and a jaw wide enough to accommodate them perfectly. This in turn means she has the most spectacular smile, unlike her poor old mother!

So my advice is to seek dental advice once your child turns 8 or 9. Depending on the nature of any problems, the sooner treatment is undertaken the better.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:39 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Its a phase. When I was a child my best friend wore glasses. I wanted glasses too. How stupid because when I turned 21 my eye sight went to hell. Been wearing glasses ever since and I hate it.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
no many parents are willing to indulge this $5,000 phase. I'm just so thankful we can afford braces for my daughter. Her front teeth were almost crossed and her canines were way behind in the back. Only a month in braces and we could see an obvious difference.

Unless you are trained in orthodontia and have studied the mouth structure of the child in question, you are not qualified to announce no kid at any age needs braces. what a crock.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I agree, some children have teeth that could be corrected more easily at an earlier age, rather than waiting until they are older. I trusted my dentist...my daughter had teeth that were growing in completely incorrectly, because of baby teeth that never came out. Those teeth all had to be extracted, and if we had waited until she was a teen, it would have been really terrible.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:50 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,528 times
When I was a kid, I had the clear braces. Very few people realized I even wore braces at the time. I always said that I would never subject my child to those large, ugly metal braces, until I saw what they looked like now. My 10 year old will start with an expander, to expand his upper jaw (it's ridiculously small), then move on to braces. I don't think he's particularly excited about braces, but is happy to know that his buck teeth will be corrected within 3 years. I'm very glad we don't have to wait until middle school to start the process and it does not look like any teeth need to be extracted.

I knew kids in college who were still wearing braces. Kissed a few of them too.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Quote:

My daughter's orthodontist won't put braces on any child until they have all their adult teeth. He said there are extremely few cases where any child without their full set of adult teeth would need braces or expanders or anything else like that. He said any dentist that pushes parents to get braces on a child without a full set of adult teeth (barring any serious, serious issues) is just trying to bilk the parents out of money.

My daughter is finally getting her braces (after she bugged me about it for years! LOL!). She's finally gotten all her adult teeth and will have the braces on for about 2 years. I guess I have to keep on working!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting