Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:33 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,133 times

Advertisements

Our football coach has twice had the team run laps so fast and for such a long time that numerous (4-5) kids end up throwing up. Is this normal for the start of practice? I kind of thought that maybe the kids just weren't used to that much activity but some of the parents say not. I know I've personally exercised so hard (hiking) that I've thrown up. I only ask because my kids will be playing high school football with this coach and would like to know what other parents (outside of the realm) think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 01:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
that doesn't sound right to me.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:13 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,874 times
I don't care if it's "the norm" or not too many high school children have died in recent years due to over training, especially football and especially during the training camp weeks right before school starts.

I know I've seen it a few times in the national news and a lot of times in the local news or heard of a local child.

Pushing a kid outside his comfort zone, great! Pushing a kid tilll he throws up or even worse has a heart attack is terrible.

I would bring it up to the principal, with copies of articles about some of these deaths.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:21 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,063 times
It's pretty common in the first few days of practice, but it should be dealt with. Sounds like the kids are being pushed too hard, it's probably too hot, and they are not well enough hydrated. This is the critical time when untoward incidents happen, so the coaches should really be on top of things. It's unlikely to continue once everyone's condition improves, but it is dangerous.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:23 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Our football coach has twice had the team run laps so fast and for such a long time that numerous (4-5) kids end up throwing up. Is this normal for the start of practice? I kind of thought that maybe the kids just weren't used to that much activity but some of the parents say not. I know I've personally exercised so hard (hiking) that I've thrown up. I only ask because my kids will be playing high school football with this coach and would like to know what other parents (outside of the realm) think.
It's really hard to say. I think it depends on the reason the kids are throwing up.

Sometimes there are kids who do not come to a single voluntary workout all summer and do not work out on their own. They return to football out of shape and they puke when they get back. If that is the case then yeah-it's ok. If the coach is intentionally making kids puke then no-It's not ok. Especially if it's super hot outside.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:37 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Well, I suppose it depends on the size of your football team. If you have 10 kids out and 5 of them are throwing up, might be a problem. If you have 500 kids out and 5 are throwing up, more likely those 5 didn't do any conditioning in the off season.

There was one kid on our son's cross country team that threw up after every race. He was an all-state runner, it was just how his body reacted.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:47 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,094 times
If only we (as a society) put 1/4 the effort into reading comprehension, writing, and mathematics as we did into team sports...

For this case, it's difficult to say without knowing the kid. On the one hand, you could have some coach with more balls than brains with Superbowl delusions. Or a kid who played nintendo all summer. Or something of both.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:11 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It's really hard to say. I think it depends on the reason the kids are throwing up.

Sometimes there are kids who do not come to a single voluntary workout all summer and do not work out on their own. They return to football out of shape and they puke when they get back. If that is the case then yeah-it's ok. If the coach is intentionally making kids puke then no-It's not ok. Especially if it's super hot outside.
Our HS team had mandatory summer workouts, and the kids still threw up regularly, including mine. I took comfort in knowing that there was a trainer present at all times and they had passed physicals, including heart scans.

It is hot in the south, and there is no way to avoid the heat, even with early morning practice. My kids made the decision to play and I wasn't terribly concerned about them getting heat stroke since there were safeguards in place. I think more kids threw up than didn't.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Our HS team had mandatory summer workouts, and the kids still threw up regularly, including mine. I took comfort in knowing that there was a trainer present at all times and they had passed physicals, including heart scans.

It is hot in the south, and there is no way to avoid the heat, even with early morning practice. My kids made the decision to play and I wasn't terribly concerned about them getting heat stroke since there were safeguards in place. I think more kids threw up than didn't.
This is undoubtedly all true. Our kids have to pass physicals. They have to pass physical fitness tests before their coach will let them practice in pads. Yet-some kids still puke.

The heat is inescapable in the south (we are near Fort Lauderdale). However, our kids are used to the heat.

I do think that the reason the kids are puking (in the OPs post) makes a difference in deciding whether it's ok or not.

I do not think that the coaches should intentionally make the kids puke. However, it has been my experience that sometimes kids do throw up during football (and wrestling) practice. It's part of the deal when it's really hot outside.

The OP should find out from the parents what happens when the kid does puke? Do the coaches force them to continue? Do they allow the kid to re-hydrate? Do they see a trainer?

Old 08-25-2011, 05:24 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,444 times
Another thing to find out...is this a morning practice and the boys who threw up had just had breakfast? If they eat, especially cereal with milk, and go out and run soon after....they are going to puke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting