Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 04:30 PM

6 posts, read 6,290 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am a student in product design at a university and one of my projects this semester is to design a shower-head type of product that will help parents clean their child (or the child clean him- or herself).

I just had a couple of broad questions that I wanted to ask about cleaning a child (as I do not have experience with this). Please do not feel like you have to answer all of the questions I have here!

-----

What is your normal routine for cleaning your child?

Is there anything annoys or frustrates you while cleaning your child?

Do you have any other objects that help you out (a small tub to put the child, etc.)?

Do you clean the child in the bathtub, sink, or elsewhere?

Are there any other issues you have related to cleaning your child?

-----

If you have any other input, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 04:46 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,619,031 times
My kids are way past the point of needing me to bathe them....however you do realize there are several shower head type items on the market for this already....right?

Old 08-28-2011, 04:48 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,919,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
My kids are way past the point of needing me to bathe them....however you do realize there are several shower head type items on the market for this already....right?
I think he has to design one himself for an assignment.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:00 PM

Yep, I have to design one myself for the project. If you remember anything about how you bathed your child and wanted to share that with me, it would help a lot!

Old 08-28-2011, 05:20 PM

782 posts, read 1,109,470 times
Wow...My child...that is way too broad..first, how big is this child? by age or weight? What is this childs phyiscal capabilities?
With a newborn until about 18 months I always used the kitchen sink...after my child could stand up unattended I had a little stool that I sat on by the tub, with about 3 inches of water, it was enough to provide a good experience for my child and still get my child clean.
Then I gradually started using the shower until the child was about 3-4. At that point I gave the child a choice...shower or tub..a tub bath was always prepared in advance and I would busy myself just outside the door and listen to the child to make sure they were ok...a shower was a stand by in case said child got soap in their eyes or in case of a slip. After about 5-6 the child will let you know your presence is no longer needed or desired. But be sure you check to make sure they are cleaning themselves otherwise they will hurry thru and not do a good job...this is true for most of their lives until they leave home and it is no longer your responsibility to make sure they are clean.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:29 PM

782 posts, read 1,109,470 times
I think a whole shower arm apparatus...that could drop down with a "child size" umbrella/curtain attached would be really cool. You could shower your child with out having to close the big curtain and it would keep you from getting wet.
I do not like baby bathtubs...or baby bathchairs that you strap the baby into. The bathchairs give the parents a false sense of security I think. And baby bathtubs are just un-necessry IMHO. You have to fill them and empty them then store them..ugh...

Old 08-28-2011, 05:59 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,528,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
I think a whole shower arm apparatus...that could drop down with a "child size" umbrella/curtain attached would be really cool. You could shower your child with out having to close the big curtain and it would keep you from getting wet.
I do not like baby bathtubs...or baby bathchairs that you strap the baby into. The bathchairs give the parents a false sense of security I think. And baby bathtubs are just un-necessry IMHO. You have to fill them and empty them then store them..ugh...
I do like the idea of the drop down arm. It is frusterating to shower a child when the shower head is 6' up on the wall. Using one of the water pic types don't always work because you have to hold the shower head because if you give it to say you 4 year old then you have water all over the bathroom.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:07 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,746 times
I agree with the arm idea. That was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read this thread. I thing it would be great to be able to lower it, and also be able to use it like a hand-held. Not only would the arm work for the small kids you are still bathing, but it would make it easier for those just learning to shower by themselves.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the help so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
With the arm idea, would that be like having a showerhead that attaches to a hose (which we are allowed to do on this project) so that one could move it around and such? Or were you envisioning a different idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I do like the idea of the drop down arm. It is frusterating to shower a child when the shower head is 6' up on the wall. Using one of the water pic types don't always work because you have to hold the shower head because if you give it to say you 4 year old then you have water all over the bathroom.
Do the handheld showerheads have any other disadvantages when using it on a child (unwieldy, lack of control over the water pressure, etc.)?

Did the children have any trouble holding onto or using a showerhead when they first did it or when you taught them?

More examples of how you went about bathing your child would be great! Thanks for the input so far, I really appreciate it

Old 08-28-2011, 06:51 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,334,002 times
I want a showerhead that pulls out like you see on kitchen faucets, something like this but for a shower:

I want it to use to clean the shower but it would also be helpful for bathing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting